Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI plastic grip durability

wmetzler01

For those of you that shoot anywhere between 600 to over 1500 rounds a month, have you had any issues with the grips cracking or breaking?

Looking for some real world experience as the search results did not provide a solid opinion on this issue.

Thanks for your time!

Will

I think the worst thing for them is slamming over stuffed mags in.

Agreed, the search results seems to reflect folks are breaking them by slamming in mags; when you bump up mag capacity with a base plate that drives up overall mag weight which could cause premature ware.

I had a set of grips off a 100,000 round gun that had 3/8 inch cracks at the top of the grip running down toward the mag release right in front of the checkering on both sides.

Did you replace the grips with plastic or metal grips?

100 K rounds is a ton of shots down range, sounds like the plastic grips are very durable...

I did not fire the rounds but have no doubt of the round count I used them as a paint project . I spread a little epoxy over the cracks and used them up until last week when I replaced them with a nice used stappled plastic grip I got from a BE member. I doubt if I will ever wear one out myself

For those of you that shoot anywhere between 600 to over 1500 rounds a month, have you had any issues with the grips cracking or breaking?

Looking for some real world experience as the search results did not provide a solid opinion on this issue.

Thanks for your time!

Will

I've had several crack at the mag catch on the right hand side on both limited and open division guns. None of the grips had any trigger guard under cuts. I stopped loading my mags to 30 & 21 rounds ALL the time and started practicing reloads with half full mags and I haven't broken a grip (knock on wood) in several years. Now I leave a round or two out of the mags unless I really need the rounds. My mag springs also last longer now.

I have done thousands of grip mods over the years. A grip will last a long time. The biggest problem that I have noticed was that when a grip was installed improperly. 9x25 were tough on grips also.

Tommy Roupe