Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any ideas, shell plate covered with brass filings

I pretty sure something isn't right here. This is a new set of Lee 9mm dies. Sizing, powder and seating die only. The brass looks OK with maybe a little being shaved off the outside of the mouth of the case.post-28703-0-41341700-1422921850_thumb.jpost-28703-0-98872600-1422921866_thumb.j

Edited by zdog

Well, I would suspect that the sizing die has brass on it from touching the brass on the shell plate.

And from there, either the flare isn't big enough, shaving the bullets, or it's too big and the case is being shaved when it enters the seating/crimping die.

I would break your process down into single steps until you find the culprit. In one of those dies you'll "feel" it drag when it shaves.

Thanks for the input:

The bell is just right IMHO. I am using FMJ bullets and copper and brass shaving are two different colors.

I am using range brass.

My guess is the chinese screwed up the sizing die but I would like to know what others think. (This turned out to be wrong)

Best to all,

John

Edited by zdog

I took the seating die apart and found a ring of brass filings about where the flare is removed. I really could not feel a ridge there but I polished the inside of the die. This has seemed to resolve the problem although I only ran about 25 rounds through the press. If this fixes the problem it will not be the first time I have had to polish on Lee dies to get them to work correctly. My thinking is that if the inside of the die was rough near where the bell removal takes place and then instead of squeezing the bell closed it would also be filing the mouth of the brass as it was pressed into the die. Who Knows.

Best to all,

John

I am having some of the same issues. Lee dies too. It is definitely the seating die on mine too. Unless I leave almost no flare on the case mouth, it catches on the mouth, and i get a little "kachunk" feeling as it passes into the seating die. I also get minor brass shaving, but after 400 rounds it is less than 1/4 of what you are getting.

I am having some of the same issues. Lee dies too. It is definitely the seating die on mine too. Unless I leave almost no flare on the case mouth, it catches on the mouth, and i get a little "kachunk" feeling as it passes into the seating die. I also get minor brass shaving, but after 400 rounds it is less than 1/4 of what you are getting.

I finally called Lee and talked to Peter. I explained the problem with machine marks inside the seating die and without hesitation he offered to send me a new die body. I asked if he was just grabbing one of the shelf to send me or would it be smooth inside. He kind of groaned and said it would be smooth inside. I have a set of Dillon pistol dies so I looking inside the seating die and it was polished to a mirror finish. The lession I have finally learned is to spend the extra $20 bucks and get a quality set of dies. Sorry Lee.

I finally called Lee and talked to Peter. I explained the problem with machine marks inside the seating die and without hesitation he offered to send me a new die body. I asked if he was just grabbing one of the shelf to send me or would it be smooth inside. He kind of groaned and said it would be smooth inside. I have a set of Dillon pistol dies so I looking inside the seating die and it was polished to a mirror finish. The lession I have finally learned is to spend the extra $20 bucks and get a quality set of dies. Sorry Lee.

I have the same issue with my Lee seating in 9mm. The rest of my pistol dies are Dillon or Redding. I will be swapping mine out to Redding.

It isn't your die as much as the extreme flare. Don't blame Lee for your setup. BTW, I use Dillon on my 650xl, but loaded a bunch on a cheap Lee press with Lee dies quite successfully. And my Dillon dies are a long way from mirror finished. Just saying :-)

It isn't your die as much as the extreme flare. Don't blame Lee for your setup. BTW, I use Dillon on my 650xl, but loaded a bunch on a cheap Lee press with Lee dies quite successfully. And my Dillon dies are a long way from mirror finished. Just saying :-)

I would not say that. The Lee dies I have balk at a very minimal amount of flare. I have to adjust it perfectly or else the rim catches on the die, and shaves brass, or catches the brass lip and deforms the mouth. I have mine adjusted just past the point of shaving the coating of my bullets, and I am still catching one rim every 75 cases or so. This is much Better than it was before I sorted the thicker cases out.

If you used a cheap single stage, you probably did not deal with the variability and flexibility of a rotating shell plate.

Edited by b1gcountry