Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is this a good deal for open gun? (Picture Added)

Revo357

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and to the open division and I've stumbled across what I think is a good deal. Tell me what you guys think:

C-More Sight

Caspian Slide

Schuemann ultimatch .38 super barrel with compensator

SV 2011 Frame

3-140mm magazines with arredondo basepads

1-170mm magazine with dawson basepad

Comes with 250 rounds of .38 super comp, Bianchi inner/outer belt with 3 magazine holders and speed holster. Gun and gear look to be in very good condition.

All this for $1200, would you buy this set-up?

Thank you in advance for any advice.

post-54070-0-71211700-1422918012_thumb.j

Edited by Revo357

that is the key... parts are important, but the fit and feel is all about who put it together. Also the looks play a role. That sounds very low for an open gun ... it maybe an older model or someone's backup gun if I had to guess just based on the price.

But if all is in good working condition and it is pleasing to the eye, I'd have to say this is a great deal.

Thank you guys for the advice. I believe is was just an older gentleman getting out of the sport and decided to sell or trade to a dealer. I want to contact the original owner and get builder info before I make a move. I was able to take the gun apart for inspection and everything looked solid. If it is a good deal I definately do not want to miss my chance. Pictures coming soon so I can get some further opinions.

You all have officially talked me into it... I figure for my first open gun it'll be good to get my feet wet at least. Next is finding a recipe it likes, but I shouldn't have trouble with all the info on this site. Thanks again for the input.

That looks like a good deal. The gun is old school, so you need a old school load! AA#7, N105. Push the pf up 175 or better. With 115gr try 11.2gr of AA.7 or 10.5gr with a 125gr. To bring this gun out of the 1990's would just take a new comp and cut the slide down to about 10.5 OZ.

Things to check: Slide for cracks near breach opening. C-more for cracks. That steel comp is heavy enough it is probably ok.

It will take you 6 months go get good with the dot, so shoot like it is for awhile.

I'll keep all the above in mind. Thanks for the load recommendations CocoBolo! That's good news for me since I already have a few pounds of AA#7. I've seen some of your loads on another forum topic and wrote them down for consideration. I definately want to get a round count, but how many is to much?

Yeah I reckon it looks good. Sure it'd be nice with a mount and slide ride cmore rather than the serendipity and a lightened slide and more modern comp would be nice. but assuming it's not shot out and runs well it should shoot nicely. Plus as mentioned there is about $500 in those 4 mags. Maybe $75 worth of ammo, depending on the rig that could be worth anywhere from $100 up to $350.

I agree with the comment above that as long as the gun is reliable in it's current spec and you get a good load for it I'd run it as is for a few months till you're used to open. Then decide if you want to modernise it up a bit with stuff like a better cmore mount, maybe some slide cuts, a racker etc.

Pretty awesome to get into open for $1200. :)

Since everything looked pretty solid I went ahead and jumped on the deal. Tore it down and did a detailed search for any flaws and couldn't find a thing wrong. So I put several of the rounds that came with the gun through it and it functioned awesome. Now off to experiment with my own loads. Thinking about starting out at a 124gr Hornady, 9.7 grains of AA#7(and work up), Starline .38 super comp brass, and CCI small rifle primers since I already have these components on hand.

If you have the components, try 115s with AA#7. I run 9 major, but 10.5gr of #7 under a 115 gives me a 175ish PF and it really works the comp. I also ran 10.0 under a 124CMJ for a 180PF which gave me the only load with 124s I would consider using

Do not listen to the advice to upgrade it. Buy it, shoot, it, practice. Use all the money you would have spent buying a $3000 open gun or "fixing" this one on ammo.

If/when you get to a point you feel the gun is ever holding you back (if ever), sell it for more than you paid for it and buy a new one.

Great deal to get into Open "turn key".

Thanks guys, I'm glad for all the positive feedback. Since several people mentioned 115gr bullets i'm going to have to pick some up for sure, but won't I need at least 120gr to make major? I plan to start with this one and once I get a little better, and the funds, I'd love to invest in that new STI DVC that just came out, that's a sweet looking gun.