Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

929 and federal ammo

azfred

So..i have been using federal 115 grain in my 929. I'm building up a stash of brass only shot in my revo...while shooting...the recoil is pulling bullets out of the case in the cylinder due to almost no crimp...i have opened the cylinder for a reload and had bullets and powder fall out the end of cylinder...anyone had similar issues

Edited by azfred

I have had the same issue with my 986, and also with my 625, I shoot my reloads and so I had to crimp heaver, but with the 986 it's a balancing act to have enough crimp and not swedge the bullet down which in my case the bullet would keyhole on the target. I haven't heard that anyone was having this issue with factory rounds and assumed that this was just a reloading issue with me. The tighter crimp has stopped the bullet working forward, but like I mentioned I have to be careful and swedge or undersize the bullet.

Try a Lee/EGW "U" (undersized) die. You'll get more neck tension without having to bite the case mouth into the bullet. If you go with the U die, I suggest using a little lube. Someone on this board suggested putting an eraser sized dollop of lanoline in the palm of one hand, rub your hands together, then through your clean brass. That's been working well for me. (FYI, Dillon case lube is just lanoline and alcohol).

Try a Lee/EGW "U" (undersized) die. You'll get more neck tension without having to bite the case mouth into the bullet. If you go with the U die, I suggest using a little lube. Someone on this board suggested putting an eraser sized dollop of lanoline in the palm of one hand, rub your hands together, then through your clean brass. That's been working well for me. (FYI, Dillon case lube is just lanoline and alcohol).

ummm..thanks, but im using factory ammo....if i was reloading it there would be no issue

Has anyone asked Federal about this? This sounds like defective ammo...not a flaw in the gun. If this same ammo was fired in a semi-auto, wouldn't striking the feed ramp push the bullet in deeper? And if the crimp is insufficient, wouldn't these rounds have headspace issues in a semi-auto? I'd like to hear what Federal would have to say...

Has anyone asked Federal about this? This sounds like defective ammo...not a flaw in the gun. If this same ammo was fired in a semi-auto, wouldn't striking the feed ramp push the bullet in deeper? And if the crimp is insufficient, wouldn't these rounds have headspace issues in a semi-auto? I'd like to hear what Federal would have to say...

I contacted federal...they didn't really care...their response "yea, we hear about this from time to time when people shoot guns in calibers that were designed for semi autos and not revolvers" i was a bit surprised, i told them i wasn't trying to get anything from them. I just wanted them to know. He said he would make a note that i called about the issue, and that was that.

not really defective ammo, as the 9mm was designed to be fired out of a semi-auto. all it has to survive is once up the feed ramp, and that is what a taper crimp was designed for, to keep the bullet from being pushed down into the case. The profile crimp is intended for the revolvers. a revolver is basically a kinetic bullet puller. that is why we tend to crimp the hell out of our handloads, and I do use a taper crimp for all my revo loads.

Again...i never said the ammo was defective...i never said the gun was defective...

...so who's fault is it?

Go through the last few pages of 929 topics in the revolver forum, Clearly there is nothing but issues with getting ammo to work properly in the 929, EVERYBODY I know that has one, has issues getting ammo to work right, either with bullet pull, stick cases, and extraction issues.

I have one of the first ones out of the factory.

It will shoot under 3 inches at 50 with my PPC load of Sierra 115s and Power Pistol.

No sticky brass, no bullet pulling, ect.

What powder charge and OAL is your load? Also are you taper cimping or roll crimping? Any issues with bullet setback after a few rounds have been fired?

What powder charge and OAL is your load? Also are you taper cimping or roll crimping? Any issues with bullet setback after a few rounds have been fired?

I am using Titegroup, roll sized brass and 147 Zero Jacketed FMJ s or plated 165 Extreme loaded to about a 130-132 pf. Taper crimp. After the 7th shot the 8th round still measures the same.

Again...i never said the ammo was defective...i never said the gun was defective...

...so who's fault is it?

Go through the last few pages of 929 topics in the revolver forum, Clearly there is nothing but issues with getting ammo to work properly in the 929, EVERYBODY I know that has one, has issues getting ammo to work right, either with bullet pull, stick cases, and extraction issues.

not really anyones fault, just working the kinks out of something...now that i have a good supply of brass fired from my 929 i will reload for it, the testing i have done with sizing brass fired from the gun shows no issues with stuck cases or pulled bullets.

I am using Titegroup, roll sized brass and 147 Zero Jacketed FMJ s or plated 165 Extreme loaded to about a 130-132 pf. Taper crimp. After the 7th shot the 8th round still measures the same.

Sorry, I'm confused. Initially you mentioned 115's and power pistol?

Sorry, I'm confused. Initially you mentioned 115's and power pistol?

That is an old standby PPC load that is one of the most accurate loads I have. It is accurate in all my pistols.

I use the heavy bullets and fast powders for ICORE and USPSA.

• 2 weeks later...

I had some 9mm I ran through my 627, to see if and how much they backed out, they did some .010. I pulled the bullet to see if it was undersized, nope. However it was a 115 grain round nose bullets which had very little bearing surface. I wonder since the 124's and and 130 ish bullets are longer maybe they will not pull the bullet during recoil. There was very little area behind the crimp mark holding the bullet in place during recoil. Did anyone look into that aspect?

• 5 months later...