Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Used Dan Wesson PM9 or New STI Guardian 9mm

Trvlngnrs

Hi everyone, I'd like your opinion on a gun purchase.

I'm wanting a 1911 9mm. I have narrowed it down to 2 choices:

1) New STI Guardian $999 + S/H
2) Used Dan Wesson PM9. Reportedly 90% - 95% new condition. Asking $1,000 shipped. It's an online purchase from another forum.

I understand they are both fairly nice guns, and the pricepoint is do-able for me.

I realize that the STI is a bit smaller, that isn't real important as I have M&P's and Glock's that I carry, so I likely wont be carrying this gun.

What are your thoughts on the two choices please? It'll be used mainly at the range, but it's main purpose is "because I want it" :-). I don't own any 1911 designed guns.

Thank you in advance!!
Trvlngnrs.

If you aren't looking for a carry gun you would probably be happier with a full sized 1911 9mm.

If the PM9 is in good condition that is a good deal. Plus if you decide to shoot the games (uspsa, steel challenge, etc.) with it the PM9 would be the obvious better choice. The quality of the DW guns is very good and the PM9 has a good reputation so if you change your mind you should easily be able to get your money out of it.

I own a couple of STI's and a DW PM9. Hands down the DW is the better weapon. DW is stainless if that matters. Also in my case the DW has a better trigger and better fit, it is as smooth as glass. My DW feeds anything you put in it, where the STI with 10 rd mags sometimes have issues with hollow points. So far I've never needed customer service work on the DW. Service I have gotten from STI hasn't been satisfactory at this point on one of my STI pistols.

Edited by shotgunone

Wow, you guys are awesome. I posted this same question on some other forums and haven't recieved 1 reply! Thank you very much for your advice!

I got a couple photo's of the PM9. Is the rubbing on the bottom a concern?

The owner says there is an "idiot mark" from impropper disassebly, but I don't see it.

post-24839-0-38178000-1422539300_thumb.j

post-24839-0-91512600-1422539360_thumb.j

post-24839-0-22539600-1422539465_thumb.j

post-24839-0-69213600-1422539514_thumb.j

post-24839-0-43370600-1422539701_thumb.j

post-24839-0-59463400-1422539915_thumb.j

Not in the least. It looks to be a used, but unmolested, stock PM9 in good condition. If it bugs you it would be fairly easy to touch it up with a bead blaster.

I'd buy it in a heartbeat for 1k.

I have a PM9 and really like it. Mine's fixed up for USPSA Single Stack (minor) and it is a great shooting gun. The fit and feel is extremely good.

Edit: the idiot mark might be from the slide release lever. Usually it is a little arc just below the slide release window on the left side of the gun. I don't see it in the photo, though. Even if it is there it would be a non-issue as far as function goes. Possibly it could be polished out with some extra fine cratex or compound.

Edited by Bamboo

Thank you everybody!

Going to send off a money order tomorrow for $950 for the PM9. It'll include 3 mags and three recoil springs of differing weight.

I'm really looking forward to this gun, as all my other handguns are polymer!

Thanks again for all your advice!

Trvlngnrs

• 3 months later...

You will love it. Had quite a few double stack 2011s but never owned a Dan Wesson before.Went looking for a single stack and a lovely DW Guardian 9mm Bobtail Commander came up including a complete working set of 9x23mm parts w/Colt mags (I shoot that in my open STI). Bought it as much for carry as anything else but I have liked it so much I have shot it in SS Steel Challenge and very soon I will shoot an IDPA match with it. It likes even the cheapest Fed and Rem ammo.

Edited by photoracer