Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

full magazines harder to load than empty

Captiontom

This weekend at a local match I came to the realization that full magazines take more force to fully seat in my g34. I've been practicing at home with empty magazines and can easily insert the magazine and have it click in. Come match time I had two fall out on me because I didn't fully insert them. I discovered that the difference is caused by the ejector. With a bullet in the magazine the ejector has to push the bullet down a couple hundredths of an inch. This is what causes the resistance. Does anyone else notice this? Beginner mistake, I guess I'll load some dummy rounds, no primer or powder just the bullet and brass for practice.

Edited by Captiontom

This weekend at a local match I came to the realization that full magazines take more force to fully seat in my g34. I've been practicing at home with empty magazines and can easily insert the magazine and have it click in. Come match time I had two fall out on me because I didn't fully insert them. I discovered that the difference is caused by the ejector. With a bullet in the magazine the ejector has to push the bullet down a couple hundredths of an inch. This is what causes the resistance. Does anyone else notice this? Beginner mistake, I guess I'll load some dummy rounds, no primer or powder just the bullet and brass for practice.

Tom-

This is a very commonly known thing in competitive shooting.. This is why dummy rounds come in handy, so you can 'practice how you perform'... So to speak.

Maybe you have heard limited shooters talk about having mags that are 20/21 'reloadable' ... They are referring to the same thing you are speaking of. I have mags I can get 21 in, but I only run 20 to allow that cushion/springiness to ease the reload.

Tom-

This is a very commonly known thing in competitive shooting.. This is why dummy rounds come in handy, so you can 'practice how you perform'... So to speak.

Maybe you have heard limited shooters talk about having mags that are 20/21 'reloadable' ... They are referring to the same thing you are speaking of. I have mags I can get 21 in, but I only run 20 to allow that cushion/springiness to ease the reload.

He nailed it!

Always practice with dummy rounds, or before a match, to see how many you can reliably reload from the belt. Your first mag you can load to full capacity since you will be loading on an open slide, but subsequent reloads will seldom work at full capacity because of the spring tension being put on the top round, it has no where to go when placed in the gun with the slide closed. My 3 gun mags at full capacity hold 23-24 depending on how hard I push the last round in, but my mags on my belt never have more than 22 in them to ensure reliable reloads.

Thanks, I'll be working on reloads with full magazines now. I also talked to the grand master in my squad and got tips and advice on what I should work on at home. I was pleased with my results as it was my second time and I improved compared to my first time.

Thanks, I'll be working on reloads with full magazines now. I also talked to the grand master in my squad and got tips and advice on what I should work on at home. I was pleased with my results as it was my second time and I improved compared to my first time.

Well, that's all this sport is about! Work hard, get better, and learn from those who have been there!

It's better to download by one than to drop a reload. Not only do you loose time, but a newbie can loose track of the target array, walk by a target and get 2 Mikes and a failure. Even though my G17 Limited mags hold 23, it's just safer to load 22. And keep in mind most target arrays are usually only 8 rounds, so you will have plenty of time to reload while moving to the next array.

It's better to download by one than to drop a reload. Not only do you loose time, but a newbie can loose track of the target array, walk by a target and get 2 Mikes and a failure. Even though my G17 Limited mags hold 23, it's just safer to load 22. And keep in mind most target arrays are usually only 8 rounds, so you will have plenty of time to reload while moving to the next array.

What about in production. My magazines only hold 10 because I live in California. 9 Isn't that much, but most target arrays are only 8 rounds. I wish I could legally have 17 round magazines and only load them to ten.

What about in production. My magazines only hold 10 because I live in California. 9 Isn't that much, but most target arrays are only 8 rounds. I wish I could legally have 17 round magazines and only load them to ten.

Can you spring the 10 lighter?

The same for my 34, I can get 23 rounds in the mag, but it is a bear to seat the mag. So I may start with 23+1, but my reloads will be 22.

Are you having problems loading 10 round mags on a closed slide? There should be at least a half round of free space in the mag from what I remember.

Closed or open slide doesn't make a difference. The issue is the ejector and that doesn't move with the slide. I'll just load all my magizines fully with dummy rounds and really work on slamming them in.

It's perfectly legal to use and own high capacity magazines. The illegal part is the importation/buying/selling.

There wouldn't be anything illegal by going out of state, buying 17rnd Glock magazines and installing a mag block in them and bringing them home.

You can fine tune the mag block to make sure you can't insert an 11th round and still leave enough play to insert when full.

Weird. With regular mags the ejector just barely touches the top round of a loaded magazine with the slide locked open--

and doesn't touch it at all with the slide forward. Checked 3 9mm Glocks--all the same. Do the rounds sit higher in the

feedlips on the 10 rd magazines?

What DOES cause pressure that keeps you from seating the magazine it that little rail on the bottom of the slide just behind

the breechface. It pushes down all the rounds in the magazine with the slide closed.

I just dug (I had to dig deep too) for one of the 10rnd mags that came with a 17. I loaded them to 10 rounds and there is a TON of space left. I can damn near stuff an 11th round.

In any event, I have no problem inserting the magazine on a closed slide.

When the round makes contact with the ejector, there is only 1-2mm to go before the mag is locked in and it takes minimal force to get the mag completely seated.

I think there is a miss understanding in the thread. With ten rounds in my magizine I can still get it to lock in my gun it just takes more effrort then when empty. I practiced with empty magizines not knowing about this issue and had two magizines fall out becaus of this.

Once the round makes contact with the ejector, there is about another 2mm of movement before the mag is seated. It's enough to make the tip of the round angle up.

I did this in 4 different 9mm Glocks with similar results.