Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2015 World Speed Shooting Championships (THE Steel Challenge)

danjordan78

I won't pretend to understand the background and politics involved, but I echo hoping that steel challenge continues on. It is what got me started in action pistol events and is still my true favorite. I plan to have my son start shooting steel events with me in the next year or two.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got the May/June issue of FrontSight in the mail yesterday. 14 new SCSA clubs listed in the "New Clubs" section. Do you think maybe this is an indication that people really do want to shoot Steel Challenge and that USPSA HQ really needs to get their asses in gear with figuring out what to do with Steel Challenge?

as far as i'm concerned the US national championship for Steel Challenge has already been held .... last month at the Volusia County Gun & Hunt Club .... all the big boys and girls were there and Sean Berry put on a great Championship ....

the next good one is going to be the PA State SC Championship series Scott is putting on ... it's going to be epic!

cash prizes to the top shooters and a huge random draw prize table for the rank and file shooters .... doesn't get any better than that!

Thanks Nimitz! Are you coming up for our match?

I'm not the MD, just the guy begging for the prizes and doing all the Enos and FB posts to advertise the hell out of our match. We have a great team that actually cares ALOT about our match and Steel Challenge. Neither seems to be true for the folks at USPSA HQ. Crazy how 4 guys with full time jobs (and many other volunteers come match day) can take a first year match, outsell the WSSC, get a $25,000+ prize table and sell out every match in the series just with a bit of hard work. And we even pay to shoot in our own match!

Of course I am ! .... since you've graceously agreed to setup a tent for me, I'll be able to display my banners and be out of the sun on the day I'm not shooting. I may have to back out of the centerfire match because of my wrist but I'll be shooting rimfire for sure ...

I wonder what the rank and file membership would have to say if our Board screwed up one of the USPSA handgun National events as singluarily as they have the SC National Championship?

Just got the May/June issue of FrontSight in the mail yesterday. 14 new SCSA clubs listed in the "New Clubs" section. Do you think maybe this is an indication that people really do want to shoot Steel Challenge and that USPSA HQ really needs to get their asses in gear with figuring out what to do with Steel Challenge?

I sent a reply to Val about how few clubs are reaffiliating this year. I basically told her we did it for 3 reasons (1) upcoming classification system (2) it was free and (3) we are hosting state match (tier II) and you have to be affiliated club to do that.

I wonder what the rank and file membership would have to say if our Board screwed up one of the USPSA handgun National events as singluarily as they have the SC National Championship?

I don't think it's the Board. I think it's a single person, perhaps 2, that have screwed this up.

Fair enough .... I also wrote the editor of FS (is that Val?) about a very simple & free way to promote SC ... list the SC Tier II & Tier III matches on the match schedule page ... I know of 4 upcoming Tier II matches before the end of 2015 & not one of them is listed .... maybe the MDs are supposed to send info to FS but it wouldn't be that hard for FS to be proactive, go find the matches & list them ...

Fair enough .... I also wrote the editor of FS (is that Val?) about a very simple & free way to promote SC ... list the SC Tier II & Tier III matches on the match schedule page ... I know of 4 upcoming Tier II matches before the end of 2015 & not one of them is listed .... maybe the MDs are supposed to send info to FS but it wouldn't be that hard for FS to be proactive, go find the matches & list them ...

For Tier II and higher we get a free 1/4 page ad. I need to get working on mine :).

if that's the case i wonder why MDs are not advertising?

If they are like me they probably forgot about it. I signed the match agreement with USPSA months ago and forgot about putting the ad together.

We advertised for our PA State SC Championship last year in FrontSight. We had to pay for the ad which might have changed this year...guess I will have to check on that. We did get a discount on the ad but it was still several hundred dollars. Not sure if we will run the ad this year if we have to pay. The couple hundred bucks we paid for the ad would probably be better spent on another gun for the prize table. The primary reason we did it last year was some exposure for the sponsors. We didn't see a jump in registration after the ad ran in the July/August issue last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We advertised for our PA State SC Championship last year in FrontSight. We had to pay for the ad which might have changed this year...guess I will have to check on that.

Scott,

I'm assuming you guys completed the Sanctioned Match Form found here (http://steelchallenge.com/steel-challenge-club-forms.php) Assuming so it clearly states in the agreement that you get an ad for free. Here's a quote from the form:

Upon mutual signing of this agreement, the SCSA agrees to allow the above named club to host an SCSA- affiliated Steel Challenge match. Affiliation entitles the club to usage of the SCSA logo for match promotion, listing on the match calendar at www.steelchallenge.com and in Front Sight Magazine, participation in international and national rankings/results, and 1⁄2 page, black and white ad in Front Sight magazine to promote match. Host club must be affiliated with SCSA and the minimum number of competitors to be considered a Tier II match is 75.

Bold emphasis added by me.

Great idea!. Hold a match that is great for getting youth involved and do it during the school year. That won't hurt attendance at all.

And no kidding trying to get a match together at this point in time would end up with a sub par event. That's why they should have been working on it for six months...

From yesterday's meeting minutes....

"Direct the President to announce that the WSSC will NOT be at the previously announced dates and location, due to failure to secure a contract with the intended venue, so that our members have the information they need to make their plans.

Completed and posted to http://uspsa.org/new_nationals/ "

Think maybe they might want to also update the the SCSA website, WSSC website, and thesteelchallenge.com considering that is where most normal people are probably going to look for info about the WSSC????

We were told today (at the walk through for our icore match) that the wssc will be at the houge range in nov.

I heard the same thing at the Steel Challenge Match on Sunday. Art seems pretty serious about it.

Regardless of where and when it is, I'm going to be hard pressed to show any support and go to that match. Until a new president is I place that actually gives a damn about steel challenge why should any of us show them any love?

There are so many other high quality steel matches out there now with people that are working hard to build them up, get awesome sponsors and prize tables, and who actually care, we should be supporting them as much as we can. Not a second rate match that is an after thought by uspsa.

Regardless of where and when it is, I'm going to be hard pressed to show any support and go to that match. Until a new president is I place that actually gives a damn about steel challenge why should any of us show them any love?

My thoughts exactly. I'm skipping 2015 and will let USPSA HQ know (Not that they'll give a damn). I am so looking forward to having a new president.

I understand your point but if enough people did it even our Board would have to notice ... that's how grass roots campaigns work after all .... anyone old enough to remember the whole "dolphin safe' tuna consumer blowup? the method for collecting yellowfin tuna commercially (which eventually ended up in your Starkist tuna can) was also indiscriminately killing thousands of dolphin but since nobody knew how the industry worked everyone just kept buying their tuna cans .... enter a group (don't remember if it was greenpeace or PITA or whoever) but they got graphic video of all these dolphins being killed, it goes viral and suddenly there is a no kidding country wide boycott of Starkist. Just about brought the company to the brink & they forced the industry to change ... pretty amazing stuff.

Of course it will never happen but what do you think our Board would do if all the supersquad got together and said they were boycotting the next WSSC? Or if no one BUT the supersquad showed up for the next WSSC?

Living in Fl, it's easy to pass this one by until they get their act together. Between now and the end of the year I can shoot the PA, SC & Mississippi State Championships as well as Georgia & the real US National Championships in Volusia early in 2016 ...

Just an FYI...for the PTB...I think a lot of people put in for vacation time for next year in say November or December of the current year. And usually once people put down vacation dates, they are locked into them. So it would behoove the PTB to have a major match, not just a nationals level, or world level match dates and location set in stone come October.

I understand your point but if enough people did it even our Board would have to notice ... that's how grass roots campaigns work after all .... anyone old enough to remember the whole "dolphin safe' tuna consumer blowup? the method for collecting yellowfin tuna commercially (which eventually ended up in your Starkist tuna can) was also indiscriminately killing thousands of dolphin but since nobody knew how the industry worked everyone just kept buying their tuna cans .... enter a group (don't remember if it was greenpeace or PITA or whoever) but they got graphic video of all these dolphins being killed, it goes viral and suddenly there is a no kidding country wide boycott of Starkist. Just about brought the company to the brink & they forced the industry to change ... pretty amazing stuff.

Of course it will never happen but what do you think our Board would do if all the supersquad got together and said they were boycotting the next WSSC? Or if no one BUT the supersquad showed up for the next WSSC?

Living in Fl, it's easy to pass this one by until they get their act together. Between now and the end of the year I can shoot the PA, SC & Mississippi State Championships as well as Georgia & the real US National Championships in Volusia early in 2016 ...

I get it, but a month after that we will have a new President and several new BOD members. My guess is within six months of the new year we will not have the current ED either. Making a point to those people is not really necessary. And I think the new Pres. candidate all have an idea how F'd up this year was.