Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lets talk Classic Division

jimbullet

On the note of IPSC Classic Division it appears under the 2015 rules that accessory rails are now permitted, great news for those of us who have accessory rails on our .45s or those who wish to shoot in this division who have a limited choice of hand guns available to purchase.

You don't have to lock in to either. If you build a 40 you can use the 10 round box legal Tripp mags and shoot major or minor.

I have a great 200 gr major load, and a 165 gr minor load with the same die settings and powder charge. I had my 45 rebuilt as a 40 to gain the flexibility to shoot minor for most matches- and then shoot major at the matches that are truly 8 round neutral.

That is an awesome idea and something my pea brain had not considered. I find there is not much between major or minor in SS and depending on the particular match layout one may have a SLIGHT edge over the other.

BUT

if you take your idea, buy 40cal, buy box compliant 10 round mags. load up some nice 180gn major loads and some 165 or even lighter minor loads. take a bunch of both to the match you can decide on the day whether to declare major or minor and shoot accordingly. plus shooting 40 minor you get the bonus of larger holes which might turn some C's into A's if you're lucky.

great idea. :)

yes, IPSC has a MAX of 9 shots per position, but my experience is most positions have 8 or less. most often 6 shots, sometimes 8 and occaisionaly 9 (need at least 1 steel in there to make a 9 shot position)...

I still think it's a close race but like the idea of running a 40 cal (or in aus 357sig) that can shoot both.

I'm in the major camp, I shot the last two years in minor and while im not sure id say it hurt my scores I did wish i was shooting major on all but a few stages. My .40 is almost reliable enough now for matches so it should be a good test this year on if it makes any difference for me to shoot major instead of minor

Edited by amish_rabbi

In my experience getting .40 to work in a 1911 or 2011 is a bit trickier than 9mm or .45, and i started out with a very cheap gun that was bassically just bought as a "kit" so it was terrible. Most bits have been replaced now and it just needs more trouble free rounds through it before im 100% confident in it

Further question, is the 10 round tripp mags the same as the Cobra Tripp mags for 40? I found some but they appear to be advertised as 9 rounders and the sales guy told me they are Cobra Tripp. Are they the same and one can just squeeze another round in it?

As mentioned IPSC is 9 rounds per position, not 8, and when you add in some matches fondness for unloaded starts (fortunately limited to no more than 25% of the stages per match in the new rule book) you get a short course with 9 rounds and an unloaded start. Not very major friendly for Classic division! Or worse, a series of 9 round positions. Most guys I know shooting Classic up here are shooting minor and a few are building .40's so they have the option of going major/minor depending on CoF. Pretty much no one is shooting dedicated Major.

Hi Pat... remember me?

3 National Championships in Classic: shooting Major each time. I've got a minor Classic gun as well, but I don't see a need for it very often.

-ivan-

You don't shoot in Ontario, lol, might alter your thinking. It's entirely based on course design

If you kept hitting 9 round stages, especially unloaded start stages, do you still think you'd stick with major?

The one thing I like about Classic/SS is that we have these arguments. I think it adds to the division that its not an easy choice which way to go. Like I said i know a few guys with, or building .40's so they can go either way depending on the CoF and even the fact that you have a minor gun (Ivan) says there is still some debate in your mind too. Lol

Further question, is the 10 round tripp mags the same as the Cobra Tripp mags for 40? I found some but they appear to be advertised as 9 rounders and the sales guy told me they are Cobra Tripp. Are they the same and one can just squeeze another round in it?

Not sure which 10 rnd Tripp mags you are referring to, but if they are the Tripp System or Tripp Corey mag then those are 10 rnd 10mm mags. The difference between the two is the System mag uses the flex follower and holds 10 rnds, whereas the Corey mag uses the hybrid follower which restricts capacity to only 9.

The standard Tripp Cobra mag in .40 has a spacer which limits your OAL to about 1.160" and only holds 9 rnds.

What I saw was the Tripp cobra I believe. So is it possible to tweak the guts of the Tripp cobra mag to hold 10?

Where is the spacer? At the bottom? Maybe I can slice it off? Sorry I don't have this yet and want to know these stuff before taking the plunge in buying it. Had the pistol reserved already though. It's a para classic in 40.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What I saw was the Tripp cobra I believe. So is it possible to tweak the guts of the Tripp cobra mag to hold 10?

Where is the spacer? At the bottom? Maybe I can slice it off? Sorry I don't have this yet and want to know these stuff before taking the plunge in buying it. Had the pistol reserved already though. It's a para classic in 40.

The mag tube on the System and Corey mags are longer than the standard Tripp Cobra mag. The spacer on the .40 mag is along the back spine of the mag, and basically takes up the difference in length between .40 and 10mm. The ones I have are metal and I'm not sure how they're attached but I'm assuming tack-welded in place.

Going 10mm or .40 mags depends on what ammo you plan on shooting. I like to load my .40's to 1.180" and use the same load in my 2011's for Limited division, which is why I wanted the 10mm mags. The 10-rnd mags do extend down below the grip a little more than the Tripp Cobras, but when you run a big magwell the extra length of the System/Corey mags is perfect.

Amish, for me I have had very good success on my 2011 pistol in 40. I am swaying to buy a 40 classic 1911 now which if I could run both minor and major would give me almost an all purpose gun

the .40 gun is for sure the way to go, I had my 9mm first otherwise I would have both loads worked up as well. Just in case I needed them.

I switched from Classic Minor to Classic Major (45ACP) part way through last year. I noticed that most of our matches in my area tended to have at least one stage that seriously disadvantaged those of us in Major with a few short courses that required a static reload. On a long stage I don't think it makes a lot of difference but the short courses it really hurts as all the others shooting Minor can complete it with one mag whereas I have to reload.... that's the choice I made though so I can't complain. The scoring advantage is handy as I do tend to shoot more than my fair share of Charlies. When shooting Minor I made it up to A Grade (but against a lot less competition than there is in the division now) since switching to Major I am still shooting my grade, haven't managed to get over 82% yet but there is a lot more competition in the division now... has Major helped? Hard to say because I really can't compare to how I could have shot using Minor. I am enjoying being able to use the 45 though

My Pro Comp loves Checkmates also. I just switched to the 10mm mags though so I could run longer ammo. Want to know what all the fuss about Clays in the 40 is. Can't beat the price on them, & they make the followers Tripp uses anyhow.