Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 Bare Frames

clawson2011

I know that CKArms, Pheonix Trinity, and STI all make bare frames for 2011's. Does anyone know of any other manufacturers that make "Bare 2011 frame"? I know SVI builds their own but they do not sell them that way only as complete guns.

thank you all in advance for the info.

L10 in San Diego is working on them, not sure if they have the 100%s ready yet. They do sell 80% frames already that require machining of critical areas to be considered a firearm.

I've been very pleased with my PT frames.

L10 in San Diego is working on them, not sure if they have the 100%s ready yet. They do sell 80% frames already that require machining of critical areas to be considered a firearm.

I've been very pleased with my PT frames.

Thanks Mike. I am working on a project and have already ordered one from PT, CK, and Sti. Just trying to find out who else I need to order from to do some testing.

kalifornistan doesn't allow any new 2011 or for that matter any STI or other 2011 smiths or mfr for sale unless you're either in law enforcement or it's on an approved gun roster (which it's not).

the only way a civilian can currently purchase a 2011 is from private seller in the state.

PT has said they were open to the idea but nothing ever materialized.

thanks. there really isn't a huge market for 2011 unlike AR's where there's multiple mfr. so it's understandable.

Edited by mackey

kalifornistan doesn't allow any new 2011 or for that matter any STI or other 2011 smiths or mfr for sale unless you're either in law enforcement or on it's on an approved gun roster (which it's not).

the only way a civilian can currently purchase a 2011 is from private seller in the state.

So they allow you to use the 80% frames and build your own?

kalifornistan doesn't allow any new 2011 or for that matter any STI or other 2011 smiths or mfr for sale unless you're either in law enforcement or on it's on an approved gun roster (which it's not).

So they allow you to use the 80% frames and build your own?

Yes since 80% frames/lowers are not run through an FFL. Currently BATFE says they are only pieces of metal. But, YOU need to finish them YOURSELF, you are supposed to have your buddy with a mill finish them and a smith/builder can't.

I wonder why L10 made their frame out of aluminum? That doesn't make much sense. I guess you could Accu-Rail it.

They say it is cost. I imagine that if you had it quoted by a shop, the tooling & mill time wold be less for aluminium than carbon steel or stainless steel.

• 2 weeks later...

Yah from what I understood it was cost start up, I guess Mike spent over $20k of his own money just to produce em in aluminum and to be able to offer them to the public, he's waiting for a determination letter as we speak for the 4140 and 17-4 stainless and is projecting late spring for them to be available (which people like me in CA can't wait), granted I would of preferred SS or steel but beggars can't be choosers, plus aluminum is not as bad as some people assume, many manufacturers such as Sig, Para, etc. have made aluminum frames for years, main issues from what I have gathered for 1911 frames (keeping in mind averagely they would last 10000-20,000 rounds) was that the dust cover would crack which on these frames they are more than double thick I believe it was about .060-.062 more per side, second was the feed ramp would wear and pit which is why there are steel frame ramp inserts to correct those problems which this frame is cut for Wilson/Nolan ramped barrel so don't have to worry about that either

I have a gun built on an L10 80% paperweight. 40 cal 6-inch limited. The frames are 7075 series. They will last just fine. I am halfway done with a 5-inch also. The 6-inch weighs a bit over 39ozs with stainless magwell, tungsten guide rod, & polymer STI grip.