Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

16" or 16.5" Barrel with a Rifle Length Gas System: Why Not?

jkrispies

This year we have the ability to actually measure the g forces, axis shift etc... accelerator and gyroscope paired with some blue tooth and an android app in a package a little bigger than a quarter. This is a prototype but it works and works well.

That is beyond awesome.

FYI

Just some information from my experiences

I've been running for the few months a Lancer - JP rifle with the Voodoo Innovation Evo Lite 16.5". No modifications have been made (or need to be made) to the gas system I've put a ton of rounds down range up too 600 yards with very good results in several configurations. Setup #1 was a nib full auto BCG with a stock rifle buffer (Seekins adjustable gas block 3 full turns from full close) and setup #2 Voodoo ultra lite BCG and DSG Arms 3oz carbine buffer (Seekins adjustable gas block 3.5 turns from full close) this is my current setup and the gas could be be turned down...All test were done with FM55gr inside 200 yards and HPA 75gr, Hornady 77gr, and CBC 77gr 200+ yards. Also I have tested operation with Tula 55gr for function reference. There is no reason I have seen with any load that I have shot to be concerned with function, the felt recoil is very comparable to my 18" rifle length gun. I don't feel like I've given up anything on accuracy vs the 18" either. Granted with a pencil barrel you're going to have a loss of accuracy if the barrel gets extremely hot, just like a heavier barrel if you dump a ton rounds through the results are similar. The evo lite with it being slender cools fast (between stages). This rifle with the evo lite has a very light and balanced feel.

Rifle buffer

20141130_193602-1_zpsa46e3f0a.jpg

Carbine buffer

20150111_195901-1_zpsednnv2gn.jpg

Edited by spankymac

I personally am currently running

Voodoo 16.5 Rifle Length

Rifle buffer (taccom UL system)

and a Seekins adj gas

I have not ran into any issues over the past 6 months ( neither stringing or Poa/Poi impacts )

Last several matches have been a mix of long range (300-500 yard stages) along with Hosers stages in between
last match had both (second place finish on the long; first on the hoser by a full 3 seconds)

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10205294721426384

Link to the last match I shot in October as you can see I am clearly not an expert Stage I mentioned starts at 1:16

I am improving tho Had 2 top 2 stages that match and would have had a third I wouldnt have forgot a target :(

Style points for the hat toss!

Like Boss!

• 2 weeks later...

I think one of the responders to this thread asked for an update on the route I'm choosing (might have been a PM, though) and after considerable thought and discussion I'm actually going to do something unexpected for me-- I'm buying a full upper from MicroMOA. I typically build my own (and all my friends'!!!) uppers, but the customer service from MicroMOA has been exceptional, between their owner/designer answering my questions via email and their sponsored shooter MiniUzi via PM. Between those two sources of input, it appears to me that they've amassed a considerable amount of data regarding the best gas port sizing for their upper relative to various combinations of bolts and buffers. After I've run it for awhile (probably around December) I'll give a long-term report. Thanks to all who have contributed, J

At the SHOT Show this year, I saw a fair number of 16" AR's with rifle length gas systems; some with folding stocks, even.

At times, the cultural and language differences at the booths were difficult, but I gathered that these AR's are universally popular ALL OVER THE WORLD!!!

....in the standard 6mm, of course.

ericm

Do they do that to make the air feel soft? Or is it due to recoil impulse imparted by the air? I bet almost all of them had a carbon fiber barrel of some sort as well, nice, light, very low recoil, whats not to like?