Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SVI vs STI Competition gun differences

shotgunone

If you were looking at getting a competition gun for say IDPA and USPSA how you rate these two pistol companies - STI and SVI or Infinity Firearms.

I would probably be considering a .40 cal double stack. I haven't checked with Infinity but I am guessing that they are going to be the more expensive of the two guns. I think I'm trying to compare apples to oranges as I think the SVI is a truly custom gun while the STI with some hand fitting is still closer to a production gun.

What is the differences between the two companies in their guns?

Which one would you choose, and why?

And would similar guns designs, something along the lines of the STI eagle, be significantly difference in price?

I am just trying to figure out how to compare these two gun makers, so any help or comments would be appreciated especially if you happen to have a gun from each of these companies so you can give a contrast and comparison.

Thanks

While the Design is similar, you are comparing very different price ranges.

That STI Eagle with a Dawson Precision CRP package is around 2K to 2.3K depending on finish. At the end of the day this is a production gun. Sure its been massaged a bit but it is a production gun off the rack really. A SVI is going to be closer to double the price depending on options... 4K is probably an accurate estimate, plus a year plus wait. A SVI is made to order... totally different animal.

I have both. The SV is a true custom, probably with a wait time of more than a year. The STI is a production gun and if you get one from Brazos they will 'tune' it to your specs. Not sure what will meet IDPA classes. I have a Brazos HP Edge and it shoots great, but my limited class SV 5.4 Sight Tracker is in a class by itself..

It's kinda like my ford car and my sons audi car.

We both get to the same place at almost the same time,he just looks better getting there.

So if money is not a problem drive the SV...

I agree with most of what everybody has said and will add this.....Infinity pistols are so well built, well thought of and in such demand, that you can shoot one for a couple of years and sell it on here for for just a few hundred less than you paid for it.

For IDPA I am currently shooting a single stack 9mm. I am hoping to get started in USPSA this spring. I really think that SVI is way out of my price range. I like the 1911 / 2011 platforms so I was wanting to stay with them.

It wouldn't be easier, to swing a 2.5k gun, but it would be easier that a 4K one. At my level I'm not sure my shooting would benefit from a totally custom built gun.

Sure like looking at them!

Edited by shotgunone

I agree with most of what everybody has said and will add this.....Infinity pistols are so well built, well thought of and in such demand, that you can shoot one for a couple of years and sell it on here for for just a few hundred less than you paid for it.

If they are so good why would somebody sell it in two years when it takes a year to get it in the first place?

If they are so good why would somebody sell it in two years when it takes a year to get it in the first place?

To keep new pistols coming in. Thats what I used to do when I shot a lot more. Put 10-15 K through one and sell it to pay for the one being built.

Comparing Factory STI to SV is a non starter. SV is clearly better. BUT, Don't get stock STI guns confused with custom guns built by other reputable builders. Those are built off of STI frames and might use a few factory STI parts but for the most part are built with much better aftermarket internals, fire control, barrels, etc. Comparing those guns to an SV is a much better comparison. They can be, and often are right up there in quality with SV for a fraction of the cost and much less wait time typically. I know there are guys who shoot factory STI guns but typically what you see hanging off of a shooters belts are more of the custom builds. Even guns that look completely stock probably have had some work done on them.

Check out ccgunworks.com for examples of high quality builds in any flavor you want!

I think SV's quality caused them to gain a reputation for being more expensive than others in the market segment. They're certainly not cheap, but I'll pay less for my SV 1911 than I would had I bought it from Wilson Combat or some of the more customized 1911 builders. I think it's likely more accurate to say that SV is above the mean when it comes to the high end 1911 builds, but it's certainly not the most expensive option. Factor in that Brandon and company are pretty unique in that they're building guns out of parts that they make to their own standards and you get a very good value-to-dollar ratio out of the deal.

Edited by ericjhuber

Start your research into the features and options you think you want in the pistol. Review new prices on those guns. Watch this forum for used guns and you will know what they are selling for. Have your money ready to go so can jump on a deal. If I knew years ago what I know now -I would save my money for a gently used SV Or go complete custom.

Wasn't meaning to leave any of the fine custom makers out. I know there are other talented builders out there. Guess it wasn't really a fair post for a comparison as y'all pointed out STI is really a production gun while SVI Affinity is a full on custom built one at a time gun.

Buy a used 2011 that has been worked over. If you like like it, great! If not, you can usually sell it for what you paid. I too love SV, but I can't wait that long for a new one. The classifieds here have some great guns built by the best, for a nice discount. I would rather spend $2100 on a used custom, than $1900 on a "tuned" new gun any day.