Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Teaching a 10 year old to shoot-help welcome

johniac7078

My 10 year old daughter is just getting into shooting a sr22. She is also right hand /left eye dominate. One thing that has helped her(unintentionally) is using a bb gun first.. I think this is because she only has to concentrate on sight picture and trigger pull without dealing with recoil. She has made the adjustment to the 22 very well. I think she has one of the smoothest trigger pulls I have seen, even while dry firing DA revolvers. I haven't let her shoot them, but I have exposed her to different platforms just to get a little more experience at a young age.

She uses a m&p replica bb gun , co2 powered. The trigger and sights are surprisingly good. I have found it very accurate out to 20-25 ft. Also, we use the splatter bullseye targets which gives better positive feedback as she can visually see her grouping.

Edited by ICEMAN550

This is 10 year old Justine Williams shooting. Her and her sister (just turned 12) both are knocking on the door to B class.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=838187829578786

They started shooting a year ago, and as you can see don't use any special technique like a more aggressive stance, etc - they just shoot. They shoot just like me, and I'm a 6'3", 260lb GM. Their hands can't even reach around their XDMs but they make it work.

Awesome, right? Just goes to show that teaching shooting is pretty universal, barring any significant orthopedic problems.

Anyway, have her stop moving her head over to get the sights aligned. I'm left eye/right handed as well and when I was first starting out, put the small piece of tape over my right eye where the sights lined up. That will help, and eventually she should be able to have both eyes open, but the neutral head position thing should be addressed right away. Use the grip to align the sights with the left eye. The wrist of the right hand will be bent outward more than the wrist of the left hand, not like with right eyed people who keep about the same outward wrist angle.

LOVED the video! AWESOME! Thanks for the advice!

Lot of great comments and questions. Katie is using an M&P 9mm. Basically, we are trying to figure out what fits her best. The accuracy of the gun is ok, not great. Ideally I think she may like a heavier gun, but her recoil management is pretty good and it does not bother her. I have a G17 I am tweaking for her, so she will try that next. She shoot my G34 and it was too long for her, at least that is how she explained it. I think drawing a longer gun for a little kid was the issue.

Anyway, she loves to dry fire. She makes up games to try out and they we both do it and compare. It's fun and Iove the time together.

I'm in the same boat with a 9 year old daughter shooting USPSA. I decided to outfit her with an M&P CORE 9mm with a leupold delta point, shooting open minor. My approach is to take all of the distractions away (sight alignment, reloading, stage strategy) and let her enjoy shooting first. If she decides she would like to dedicate more time to training, then I'll move her to production. My way of getting her interested in shooting without pushing her too hard, or making it more difficult than it has to be. I think that striking a balance between our children's personal interests & our passion for the sport is the key.

All I have to say is "wow". Looks like she's really into improving her shooting, perfection is related to passion. I just hope that I can keep my little girls interest for another few years until she decides to pursue the sport on her own accord. The only thing more intimidating than cleaning a gun while your girls out on a date is for her to be cleaning her gun when the boy arrives.

I'm in the same boat with a 9 year old daughter shooting USPSA. I decided to outfit her with an M&P CORE 9mm with a leupold delta point, shooting open minor. My approach is to take all of the distractions away (sight alignment, reloading, stage strategy) and let her enjoy shooting first. If she decides she would like to dedicate more time to training, then I'll move her to production. My way of getting her interested in shooting without pushing her too hard, or making it more difficult than it has to be. I think that striking a balance between our children's personal interests & our passion for the sport is the key.

All I have to say is "wow". Looks like she's really into improving her shooting, perfection is related to passion. I just hope that I can keep my little girls interest for another few years until she decides to pursue the sport on her own accord. The only thing more intimidating than cleaning a gun while your girls out on a date is for her to be cleaning her gun when the boy arrives.

LOL I like the boy part!!!

• 2 weeks later...

John, I can't seem to load the video. I'm the guy RangerTrace mentioned. Started my son Aidan at four on a custom .22 "open gun", moved him to an iron signed .22 at 6, and had him start shooting a full size 9mm STI Open gun with 145 PF loads at 8.

Most of the comments here are spot on so far and you already figured out safety is lesson one.

Cross dominance is tough with an iron sight gun. Some people are not strongly one eye dominant and you could possibly train her to bring her right eye to dominance. Do some practice sessions with tape over her LEFT eye, not the right. It will be VERY awkward at first but after a few k rounds, she might be able to have it switched. ;)

Also, feel free to PM me here or friend me in FB. Be warned on FB though, I am very vulgar and use it mainly for trolling- I take too much joy in messing with people.

Edited by stockton

John, I can't seem to load the video. I'm the guy RangerTrace mentioned. Started my son Aidan at four on a custom .22 "open gun", moved him to an iron signed .22 at 6, and had him start shooting a full size 9mm STI Open gun with 145 PF loads at 8.

Most of the comments here are spot on so far and you already figured out safety is lesson one.

Cross dominance is tough with an iron sight gun. Some people are not strongly one eye dominant and you could possibly train her to bring her right eye to dominance. Do some practice sessions with tape over her LEFT eye, not the right. It will be VERY awkward at first but after a few k rounds, she might be able to have it switched. ;)

Also, feel free to PM me here or friend me in FB. Be warned on FB though, I am very vulgar and use it mainly for trolling- I take too much joy in messing with people.

He's not kidding about the vulgar part, but he's one of the best trainers around and his success with Aidan is amazing. 5 more years and he's going to work with Jake!!

Safety is lesson one as has been expressed. Gun handling is the next step. I started my boys out with BB guns at 6, then iron sighted .22 pistols at about 7, then red dot .22 rifles at about 8. The next step was ARs (optics) and the M1 Carbine (irons). My oldest just turned 13 and has a Deer, an Elk, a Pronghorn, 6 each pistol and rimfire matches, 2 shotgun matches and 2 3Gun matches under his belt.

I have found that having other people instruct him is also valuable. A different approach/perspective is beneficial and helps in many ways.

I have consciously avoided dots on pistols with my boys as I believe there is a lot of good information to be learned in the skill building with Iron sights. The red dots allow sloppier technique and I believe can set up bad habits. He shoots Production so he is reloading often too. Kids can take more than we give them credit for, and I am stressing the fundamentals with the boys just like I would with an adult. While all kids are different, I have seen the benefits in my boys as compared to some other parents who started their kids off with dot sights on the pistols. Skipping the early development of shooting fundamentals will, for most kids, create un-necessary stumbling blocks as they progress.

For anyone that teaches youth, I'd suggest you read Coyles "The Talent Code". It will help you as a coach/instructor.

Here is Blake's run at a USPSA match on Saturday...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is a cool topic. I've had my boy shooting since 6 or so. He's 11 now and We did our first trap shoot this spring and he's shown aptitude. Since I just started doing 3 gun he has expressed interest. He shoots the .22s mostly Is there any issues with teaching different platforms or should we focus on one area?

If he is enjoying it, I see no issues with different platforms.

My 13 year old shoots everything now. Shotgun loading is the hardest part, but the M3000 is the easiest to load for him and he is getting there. My 11 year old will be starting with 9mm this summer, but he is already proficient with three .22 platforms and the AR15.

If he wants to shoot rimfire at a pistol match or a 3Gun match, that is fine at CRC and most of the USPSA clubs will let him as well.

Keep the younger kids separated. There is a youngster shooting my match who is just fine until another kid shows up and they squad together. The natural instinct to act like a kid comes pouring out.

I have started to teach my 10 year old daughter to shoot. She has shot 3 IDPA matches so far. At this point, we are obsessed with safety. I think she has got it, better than some adults I know! I am using a lot of dry fire practice so she can learn gun handling and techniques. Here is a video of her working on her draw. I would welcome helpful comments. However, please keep in mind she is a 10 year old kid, so please keep the comments kind and constructive. She will start USPSA as soon as the season starts up again. Thanks.

my only suggestion based on watching that video of Katie dry firing would be for her to keep the pistol up longer, aiming at her target after pressing the trigger smoothly, and not be so quick to reset and reholster

from what I could tell, she pressed the trigger and then immediately lowered her pistol to rack the slide with her support hand and then holster; you don't want that action to ingrain itself and translate to the range during actual live fire, where she should be watching the front sight rise and then settle back down into its natural POA

Edited by hrt4me