Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Straight v Cone

Iggy42

Ok so depending on the model of Tanfos you get either a cone barrel or a straight barrel

Question is, besides the shape what are the advantages or disvantages?

Is one better than the other?

I have guns with both. The cone or bull barrels are all 3.5" or shorter. So accuracy is hard to evaluate versus a straight.

To hold the end of the barrel the tightest, a hand fitted bushing would be hard to top. That is why the Accurized CZ are modified for a bushing.

Spent an hour last week knocking a thousand off the OD and ID of two EGW thick flange, tapered bore barrel bushings. Ordered to exactly the size of the barrel and slide and took down with emery cloth to an interference fit. These are for a GCNM, not a Tanfoglio. The factory Match bushing was fitted to 0.002". The two I did are 0.0". A couple hundred rounds will loosen up the ID a little. The OD will remain zero slop.

Over time both a bull barrel and a straight barrel will loosen up. The barrel rubs directly on the slide. But this should take a lot of rounds if lubed. The larger OD of a cone barrel theoretically will wear down slower. Not sure if that is the only factor at play.

in real life there is bugger all between them.

I can see why in theory the cone barrel is a better thing and why it's on the 'premium' spec guns.

in practice you'd be hard pressed to notice the difference apart from the weight.

oh, the other thing you notice is the cone barrel looks awesome!

I honestly dunno. If I could get one gun with 2 barrels and a ransom rest I might find out. But then one type of ammo might work better in the other barrel.

I have a friend who bought a stock 3 extreme a few months back. He got 2 barrels with it. One poly. One regular. I'll ask him what he thinks.

I think in theory the polygonal rifling seals better due to the lack of sharp square edges. Also you are smashing the bullet into a shape, not just cutting slots in it, so in theory the bullet should fit in the rifling tighter.