Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.223 neck tension

naim

I've been reloading .223 for about a year now so I'm still fairly new to it. I prefer not to put a crimp on my precision ammo. The problem I'm running into is I don't have enough neck tension on the case to hold the bullet in place. Is there something I'm missing? Or is there no way around putting a crimp on the ammo?

Edited by naim

if you are using standard dies and your bullets don't have enough neck tension to stay in place there is something wrong with your dies. The neck area is too big or your expander ball is way way too big. if you measure the ID of a sized case it should be .220-.223. The bullet would be .224 so that's .004-.001 neck tension. .002 is good enough unless you are shooting BR to mess with. A crimp will not "hold" a bullet in place, its just there to help with setback under recoil which is almost a nonexistent problem in .223

• 3 weeks later...

What ever you do, the ID on the case neck needs to be at least .223. That provides .001 of neck tension. you really should have more like a .222 ID, or .002 neck tension. If you start getting smaller then say, .221, or .003 neck tension, and you don't use an M-die or VLD chamfering tool you will shave bullets. the way that sizing standard dies work is that the ID of the neck is controlled by the expander ball, a normal expander ball is .221-.223 and brass generally springs back to .001 smaller then the expander ball will. the ID of the neck sizing area on most dies is such that it sizes the case so the ID of the neck is .220 or so and the expander ball expands the neck of the case out to .221-.223.

Crimping a bullet does not increase neck tension but it will increase pressure a little bit. If you take a loaded round WITHOUT a crimp you should NOT be able to set the bullet back in the case if you push a loaded round by the base into wood with moderate force. A loaded round with .001 neck tension is water tight and air tight. If you have a strong crimp into a canalure and you have a loaded round nose dive into the front of a magazine the bullet might not be set back into the case as the front of the canalure will catch the brass and keep the bullet, in some cases, from being set back.

.2205 = .0035 of neck tension and .221 = .003 neck tension. This is more then enough. Remember that this is what one kind of brass as different brass has different neck thickness. If you are running dies with an expander ball then this is much, much less of an issue. Thicker brass or harder brass might spring back a little more.

If you all the sudden neck turn your brass you will change things as well.

If you decide to get bushing dies and not run an expander ball, you have to stick to one kind of brass and you might need to neck turn to maintain a consistent ID of the brass.

.2205 = .0035 of neck tension and .221 = .003 neck tension. This is more then enough.

And that is exactly how much I like to use on semi/full auto.

My bolt guns in everything from 223 Ackley to 338 Lapua to 50 BMG I normally start with about .003 and check long range accuracy and also how low the ES/SD numbers are.

I'd like to know what you all r using to measure you're case mouth ID's with to come up w numbers to the .0005"

Calipers r no where near that accurate even with a guage ring.....

Nick

My set of Mitutoyu calipers go out four digits. When I measure the necks they read .2205-.2210. So I am just guessing.

Had them calibrated and PMed just last summer too...

• 2 weeks later...

you need to have about .003 of neck tension in order not to crimp.

for that you need to Polish/Sand your expander ball to about .222

When I tried Dillon 223 die there was about .001 of neck tension. Freaking expander ball was .2235 in size. WAY TOO BIG.

I didnt want to mess with Dillon die so I sent it back. I dont like the way decapping unit is setup on dillon.

I use Forster FL size die and Forster Ultra micrometer seater. This setup makes very straight/true ammo.

I use LC brass only and my expander ball is set to .2215. No crimp needed.

My electronic calipers go to .0001, but with a .001 dial caliper I just eyeball if its between .221-.222 and call it .2215 but I don't think +/- .0005 makes a difference.

I have a pin "dowel" set. I find one that fits the into the case neck I want to measure to tell me what is the actual ID.

The pins are marked how big they are. Of course you can measure their outside diameter with your calipers to double check.

I have always found them to be perfect.

• 2 weeks later...