Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SLOSA Coastal 3 Gun Championship - Feb 15, 2015

Are there any restrictions to bringing firearms or high cap mags in from out of state? I have relatives down that way and was thinking a shooting vacation might be fun.

California Penal Code (PC§ 30665) allows you to temporarily import an "assault weapon" for sporting purposes.

However, no equivalent exists for "large capacity magazines".

One could argue that the spirit of the law probably was to also allow for magazines, since it would be kinda silly to allow people to bring in their evil weapons, but not their magazines. Especially since, in general, the punishment for violating the AW statutes are harsher than for the magazines.

Unfortunately that's not the letter of the law and AFAIK there arent any test cases either way.

Importing is not the same as transporting. Importing involves commerce and/or change of ownership. California law reflects this in saying that the naughty magazines cannot be manufactured, sold, or gifted to another individual in California.

As far as the guns themselves, remove the mag catch entirely from your AR and you are legal. All handguns, while being transported in a vehicle, must be unloaded in a locked container and the ammo must be in a separate container in a separate part of the vehicle. The trunk, glovebox, console, and cabin are all separate parts of the vehicle.

On a side note, I lived in San Luis for 8 years and went to Cal Poly. It is an awesome town, and the Central Coast is absolutely beautiful. Many things to see and do. I miss it terribly.

Importing is not the same as transporting. Importing involves commerce and/or change of ownership. California law reflects this in saying that the naughty magazines cannot be manufactured, sold, or gifted to another individual in California.

As far as the guns themselves, remove the mag catch entirely from your AR and you are legal. All handguns, while being transported in a vehicle, must be unloaded in a locked container and the ammo must be in a separate container in a separate part of the vehicle. The trunk, glovebox, console, and cabin are all separate parts of the vehicle.

On a side note, I lived in San Luis for 8 years and went to Cal Poly. It is an awesome town, and the Central Coast is absolutely beautiful. Many things to see and do. I miss it terribly.

Though I dont necassarily disagree with the logic of your first statement, quite a few people have been busted right after crossing the border after buying magazines out of state. Sure, there's a slight difference between leaving the state with the intent to buy and "import" a magazine and coming here for a match, but it's a thin line to walk with a potential felony.

On your second statement, CA Penal code talks about a rifle having the "capacity to accept a detachable magazine" and I think it would be fairly easy for a DA to argue that a rifle without a magazine catch can accept a detachable magazine. Though, in this case its a moot point, since a visitor can bring in rifles for organized matches.

There's also no need for a handgun and ammo to be in separate locked boxes. The glove box is explicitly listed as not being an acceptable locked container for a handgun. The trunk is though.

Though I dont necassarily disagree with the logic of your first statement, quite a few people have been busted right after crossing the border after buying magazines out of state. Sure, there's a slight difference between leaving the state with the intent to buy and "import" a magazine and coming here for a match, but it's a thin line to walk with a potential felony.

On your second statement, CA Penal code talks about a rifle having the "capacity to accept a detachable magazine" and I think it would be fairly easy for a DA to argue that a rifle without a magazine catch can accept a detachable magazine. Though, in this case its a moot point, since a visitor can bring in rifles for organized matches.

There's also no need for a handgun and ammo to be in separate locked boxes. The glove box is explicitly listed as not being an acceptable locked container for a handgun. The trunk is though.

That's good clarification on the intent to buy/import issue. The spirit of the law is that if a Californian already owned a normal capacity mag, he can keep it. But if said individual wants a new mag, the answer is no. No matter how creative said individual wants to get. There are "stories" of folks hopping over to Nevada, buying normal capacity mags, taking them apart, returning to CA, and assembling them at the match. Still against the law. You're absolutely right about avoiding the danger of skirting the law in these matters. The risk is not even close to being worth the reward.

My information on the rifle catch comes from a California DA (who, granted, is gun friendly). His interpretation is that the the rifle has to be operational with the mag inserted and held in place with a mag catch. Add a finger operated, no tool required, mag release and you're in violation.

As for the handgun, I didn't say the glovebox was a suitable "locked container." It is, however, a separate part of the vehicle. So, if you want to keep the hangun in the glovebox, it has to be unloaded and in a locked box before it is placed in the glovebox. Then the ammo can be stored anywhere in the car except the glovebox.

You're right about the ammo not having to be in a locked container; just the handgun. I didn't say the ammo had to be in a locked container. It just can't be in the same container as the handgun.

• 4 weeks later...

As for the handgun, I didn't say the glovebox was a suitable "locked container." It is, however, a separate part of the vehicle. So, if you want to keep the hangun in the glovebox, it has to be unloaded and in a locked box before it is placed in the glovebox. Then the ammo can be stored anywhere in the car except the glovebox.

You're right about the ammo not having to be in a locked container; just the handgun. I didn't say the ammo had to be in a locked container. It just can't be in the same container as the handgun.

Glove box is indeed a no go unless the gun is also in a locked container. Just keep it out of there. The trunk of back of the car is where you will get the least hassle.

You are however very wrong on the ammo in a separate container. you can have loaded mags or ammunition in the same container as the gun, it just cannot be loaded in the gun. If anyone from out of state has questions, the Calguns Wiki pages are the most up to date with the legal information.

Handgun

Can anyone reccomend a cheap, clean, and safe place to stay the night before. We will be coming from SoCal, if that makes a difference.

Since it is Valentines day weekend, prices will be higher than usual. There are a good amount of motels (Motel 6, Days Inn, etc.) in Morro Bay and San Luis Obispo that may be around the 100 dollar per night rate. I'd suggest booking sooner than later since rooms tend to fill up for the holiday weekend.

Can anyone reccomend a cheap, clean, and safe place to stay the night before. We will be coming from SoCal, if that makes a difference.

Since it is Valentines day weekend, prices will be higher than usual. There are a good amount of motels (Motel 6, Days Inn, etc.) in Morro Bay and San Luis Obispo that may be around the 100 dollar per night rate. I'd suggest booking sooner than later since rooms tend to fill up for the holiday weekend.

We're staying at the Travelodge in SLO. Reasonable price, decent place.