Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Live Round at LAMR

PhilTerry

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Groan....

Down at my old club, having a uniformed officer, show up after or prior to his/her shift was a fairly common occurence. This was at a monthly, non-USPSA sanctioned rifle match.

And if people who live in states that permit CCW think they're shooting matches at a "cold range," it's time to change medications, because virtually every car there has a loaded carry piece in it somewhere.

I would never give a cop a "talking to" for showing up at the first stage in duty gear with a loaded gun. Until this thread appeared, it would never have occured to me that this could ever be a "problem." Let them shoot stage 1, clear their pistol, then stoke them up immediately after shooting last stage and send them off to work. Just like what happens during every police qualification at my home range.

It's called common courtesy.

• 4 months later...

This is just bizzarre.  This is like reading a web page off the Brady Campaign to Disarm America.  We would have no problems about a uniformed LEO carrying a loaded gun anywhere else.  Suddenly, we're at an IPSC match and heavens to Betsy if an on-duty cop should have a hot gun and we don't.  Oh me.  Oh my.  The injustice of it all. 

Surely to god a cop that shoots IPSC is smart enough to know how to shoot the match and still fulfill their job requirements safely.

I don't think it has anything to do with trust or fairness. The rules specifically state "cold range". If an LEO can't comply with the rules while on duty then he'll just have to come back and shoot the match while he is off duty.

I think most of the members here trust the guys at their local club with a loaded handgun more than the LEO walking his beat, but it doesn't mean that everybody can walk around a match with a loaded gun.

Of course, most of those same members of your local club probably don't have to deal with the pencil pushing thin necked admin types who would give their left arm to hang someone who violated one of "their" rules, by not having a loaded firearm on them while on duty. Just be thankful that the officer in question has realized that the little (perhaps 50 rounds/year) training that they get during official qualification isn't anywhere near enough to maintain the level of proficiency that is demanded by carrying everyday, to protect the same people that complain about him having a firearm in the first place.

What is the process for clearing that officer upon arriving at the range? I've been to many ranges where all the bays are in use for the match, or as safety areas. Obviously unloading at the safety area or vehicle is a horrible idea. I'm not driving to the range, on duty or otherwise without a loaded gun. What's the best process to deal with this?

What is the process for clearing that officer upon arriving at the range?  I've been to many ranges where all the bays are in use for the match, or as safety areas.  Obviously unloading at the safety area or vehicle is a horrible idea.  I'm not driving to the range, on duty or otherwise without a loaded gun.  What's the best process to deal with this?

Talk to the match director --- ideally beforehand. If I needed a procedure for the club match I run it would probably consist of a request to come find me first --- before registering, helping with set-up, etc. I'd walk an officer over to a berm, call the pit hot, and have him unload and show clear. At the end of the match --- or if necessary upon his early departure --- we'd reverse the procedure. We run squadded matches only --- so it's not like someone would just roll in for an hour to shoot the match, in our area......

I agree, I dont drive anywhere without a loaded gun in the car. I just keep it in the car when I get to the range. And you will find most cars at an IPSC match have a loaded gun in them.

If you are not going to shoot your duty weapon then leave it in the car. If you are just go to t he MD or RO and tell them you need to unload upon arrival. Some ranges have unloading areas at the entrance. If its a problem then maybe the range needs one of these.

As for the comment about protecting the same people who complain about them having a gun. I am glad you carry a gun. I wish more LEO would get more training with their guns. As far as protecting I dont think so. Most realistic cops will tell you that they are there to straighten things out after the fact so when you want protection you have to depend on yourself. Its nieve to think the police are going to protect you or if you are a cop thinking you are protecting the people.

glock 40 cal

Welcome to the forum!

I don't think we know that the LEO in question has realized his departments training is subpar. I didn't see anyone complaining about the LEO having a firearm.

I would think the officer could get permission from his department to go unloaded for a few hours while surronded by some of the more law abiding people he knows(we get our back ground checked with some frequency).

Respectfully,

jkelly

" Most realistic cops will tell you that they are there to straighten things out after the fact so when you want protection you have to depend on yourself. Its nieve to think the police are going to protect you or if you are a cop thinking you are protecting the people. "

It may be naive, but when is the last time that someone called you up and told you there was someone with a gun running around...and then you went there. It's true we spend most of our time doing cleanup. However, I think that the people I've gotten out of their houses while actively being shot at by suspects would disagree with you that we don't protect people. Admittedly we can't be everywhere everytime. People need to be able to protect themselves, but don't think that police aren't protecting people.