Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which trigger, which rifle…Geissele/CMC

1eyedfatman

I have 2 rifles

A - Stag 3G 18" stainless BBL 3-gun rifle

B - 16.5" custom built 3-gun rifle - This rifle is setup to be lighter and quicker (SST Stretch stainless intermediate gas Bbl, SLR Rifleworks ultra lite 15" FFL hand guard, JP LMOS BCG + JP Silent Capture Spring/buffer, lite stock, Dragon comp.

18" RifleA I'm thinking of setting up for longer range stages and may even put a 2.5-10x or 3-9x scope on it with angled irons. RifleB I will put a SWFA 1-6x on it and set it up for the smaller bay and medium stages.

I have 2 triggers I could use for either one.

- Geissele Super 3 Gun (S3G) Hybrid Single Stage Trigger

- CMC Single stage 3-3.5lb Flat Trigger Group

The Geissele is lite and smooth, but I love the feel of the CMC flat trigger pull. I've read where the Geissele is great for rapid shooting, but maybe not idea for precision shooting. Which ones would you guys run in either rifle?

I've haven't tried the CMC yet but I love my Geissele. No problems with it on short hoser targets or long precision shots.

You mentioned you wanted to use one rifle for long range application and the other for shorter stuff. Depending on the match, most places make you shoot the same gun for the whole match so you won't be able to switch. If a particular match is heavy with long range targets you could use the 18" gun or if it were an all short range shooting bay match, the shorter one would be good. But you will likely not be able to switch between then for each stage within a given match. This is not concrete as everyone has their own rules, but something to consider...

I have compared the CMC to SD3G. They are both about the same and if someone asked me if I can tell the difference between the two, I wouldn't be able to in a blind test.

I use another brand trigger in my 3-gun rifles, but these are definitely toward the top of my trigger choices as I own them.

There is some difference in feel between a straight vs curved trigger and the pull is slightly different as well, mainly because you can put your finger further down on the trigger which changes the leverage. It's largely a matter of preference.

The Geissele S3G is, indeed, designed for rapid fire but that doesn't mean it can't be used for precision. It's may be that Geissele mainly makes two-stage triggers for precision so doesn't consider the S3G as good a choice for that. Personally would be prone to putting the Geissele on the 3-gun rifle and the CMC on the precision rifle.

Comments reflect personal preference which may differ from yours. AKA, your mileage may vary.

P.E., what planet are you from and how can I get a ticket there? I think I could pull up a lawn chair, bbq sandwich and beer and watch you shoot all day! Very nice shooting!

Thank you mister! In all honesty I have been shooting since I was a kid. I love shooting! Really, I freeking love to shoot! I don't like to practice, do drills or make this thing

a JOB. I got one of those. So maybe that is why good guys like you like these videos (not many do, if you consider my youtube views) as I show am really having a food time!

At least that is what I hope is coming across. Even at major events I strive to have a good time, yet hope that I shoot well enough to please my ego.

Thanks again.

Edited by P.E. Kelley

- CMC Single stage 3-3.5lb Flat Trigger Group

If you end up deciding you don't like that trigger, I might be able to see my way clear to taking it off your hands.

I bet you would Mr Smith, but that trigger is going someplace "special"…my new 3-gun build! :roflol:

I got the CMC flat trigger group a couple of days ago. It installs like it's supposed to, except the safety selector won't go back in. Looks like the "flat" of the trigger is inside the selector hole by about 1/16th of an inch. Am I supposed to file down the flat? Do I need to return it? BTW, it's installed on a mil spec lower.

Aside from the issue mentioned above, I want to stress the importance of durability and functionality. The CMC isn't the lightest trigger, doesn't have the shortest reset on the market, but it performs....for 10s of 1,000s of rounds it performs. The lack of complexity yields a trigger that you just can't make fail. That and I personally like their flat trigger design with a shoe at the bottom to ensure exact finger pad placement shot after shot. I've seen too many mag dumps and ADs with lighter, more finicky triggers to stray from CMC.

JM2C

I've got the 2-2 Flat in my new build for this upcoming season. It is really nice - the first stage is very smooth and the wall is definitive, 2nd stage breaks just under 2 and is a very crisp, clean break. The reset on it is about 2x as long as the single stage but that's just the nature of the beast. I'll mainly use that rifle on long range matches with shots past 300 and at a couple DMR shoots. I've been really pleased with both and I think I've got CMC in every match rifle I own now.

• 2 weeks later...

I have compared the CMC to SD3G. They are both about the same and if someone asked me if I can tell the difference between the two, I wouldn't be able to in a blind test.

I use another brand trigger in my 3-gun rifles, but these are definitely toward the top of my trigger choices as I own them.

Interesting. I haven't shot the CMC but I have an SD3G and I imagine it to be VERY different, considering there's no discernable wall/break. It's a rolling break, as in there's some take up and then all of sudden the hammer drops. Can't feel a wall at all. Excellent reset and fast trigger, but I imagine it's VERY different than the CMC single stage which people describe as having a wall a clean break.

Anyone with both care to chime in?