Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3 Gun Heavy Metal Gear

Airedale

I am nearly ready with my Heavy Metal gear. The guns are ready and the belt rig is nearly ready. I'm still thinking about how to reconfigure my AR mag holders to hold M1A mags.

The rifle is an M1A Loaded, the shotgun, Winchester model 12 (1924) reconfigured to 8+1, and the first M1911 is a Kimber Custom Target II, or for real retro, a Rock Island bare bones USGI type. Note: No collectable Model 12's were harmed in this process. This was a beater with no "refinish" value.

I blame all this on Patrick Kelley ;)

3gun2.jpg

I'll test drive the rifle/shotgun setups at Bluegrass this Sunday.

Dave

I can't wait to see these guns in action Sunday. Maybe you will let me test drive them after the match, huh? Are the mag holders you want to change made of Kydex? I have been dabbling with Kydex transformation. If you can find a sheet of it, you can make anything you like. Your guns look cool! Are you gonna shoot Heavy Metal aka He-Man on the road this year?

Mike,

You most certainly can give them a run. I'll bring plenty of .308 and 12 ga Sunday. You will loving driving these.

The mag carriers are Kydex and should be any "easy" change out if I can find some sheet Kydex.

I think these will be my 3 gun long guns for this year. I will likely dot or scope the rifle when there isn't a HM class.

Dave

Well since I plan on being there as well I have a couple of newbie questions, i.e., never seen a three gun match, am I supposed to pack pockets full of 308 and 12 guage rounds in addition to magazines for the .45 on my belt? Or, how do you carry all this ordnance?

(feel free to laugh at me all day as long as the 1100's not loaded)

Dale

Dale,

You can use my belt. It's a Safariland outer with shotgun shell carriers, .45 single stack mag pouches, and (currently) AR mag pouches. I hope to fabricate some M14 mag pouches this evening. I don't have any Kydex material on hand so I think a Dewalt tool case is going to meet Mr. Heat gun.

Bluegrass is really a pistol match with rifle and shotgun side matches. Don't sweat the gear thing.

Dave

Dale,

Just come out, we'll take care of you. You don't have to carry all that stuff all day, you will be shooting pistol, then you will have time to get your long guns and go to those stages. I have gear you can borrow for shotgun, but it sounds like you are shooting major rifle and Dave has you covered. Your normal pistol equipment is fine. Look forward to seeing you HEAVY METAL HE-MEN at the range! :ph34r:

Aikidale-if Mary is coming and wants to shoot rifle, I have assembled the "cutest little" Carbon 15 AR for Jean and can bring it. It weighs about the same as a popcorn fart.

Wayne-message sent to our hero B)

Rhino-come on man-send a limo for the parents....I heard an unsubstantiated rumor the Glock girl might maybe could be coming to shoot somewhere in the US and it could be Lexington

Steve-thanks!

Dave

Dave,

Thanks for the offer but Mary is much smarter than us. She is in South Florida until Spring. B)

But as long as we are talking about Lexington this Sunday, how many rounds of which denomination do I need for Shotgun?

Rhino,

Rhino-come on man-send a limo for the parents....I heard an unsubstantiated rumor the Glock girl might maybe could be coming to shoot somewhere in the US and it could be Lexington
:wub:

I can't believe it. I thought I had the only 3-Gun M12 in the world (might have had for a while). Of course, mine was an Open shotgun with 10-round magazine, compensator, and red dot sight. Might still be the only Open M12 in the world.

Cheers,

Kelly McCoy

Kelly-I shot 12's and 42's competitively in skeet for years. When I decided to build a shotgun for HM, your post reminded me the only way to go is the model 12. I think I still have a complete set of 12 ga Cutts chokes somewhere in the safe.

Dale-I always take two boxes of shells to Wilmore 6 or 7 1/2 shot will I usually bring slugs but have never used them. Don't buy slugs if you don't have them-I'll bring plenty.

Dave

Dale--

I'm currently doing some 3-gun research for a Website header work order and I drifted over to http://www.3gungear.com and they/he has all these ammo carriers and such. Kinda reminded me of rhino and his tactical bandoliers... :D

In fact, I'm having to dig up some valid imagery (and concepts) for this art piece, and wonder what's the most prevalent PISTOL that's used in these events...? Or what do you THINK is the best pistol to use in these events...?

Thanks!

Siggy,

Understand I have not shot the first 3gun match yet. That said, for marketing purposes I think the best graphic would be a single stack .45. Look at Dave's picture above for the perfect 3gun setup.

He Man question for the rest of you guys:

If a semi-auto .45 is the proper pistol and a semi-auto .308/30-06 is the proper rifle, wth is wrong with a semi-auto 12 guage? How did my Remington 1100 get to be a foo foo gun?

This would only make sense if the pistol had to be a revolver and the rifle a bolt action. Now that would be a he man division!

Dale,

Heavy Metal rules vary from match to match. Some allow optics on rifles, some don't. Some allow semi-auto shotguns, some don't. All agree on major caliber pistol, but some want it to be 8 round mags. There are a few thread s here about the HE-MAN or Heavy Metal rules differences.

Right off the bat this afternoon, I found an article written by some fellow who listed all the common firearm types used in 3-Gun AND some of the basic rules of the game, tips on efficiency, how to calculate power factor, use of mag extensions and speedloaders, etc. There's a ton of stuff out there.

Dave,

A real HE-Man would use a 625 S&W shooting Major Loads for his "Short gun"

I am in the process of rigging me up a system to shoot my Revo in 3-gun, should be "tons of fun"

You and John need to sneak down to Dickson in April to shoot the "Southern Tactical Rifle Championship" info at www.3gunmatch.com

then the tactical 3 gun match at Huntsville the end of April/first of may

ours will be in the fall, if work allows me to get it organized.

How the dogs????

Thanks for the B-day wishes. ;)

see you somewhere, sometime.

SAM