Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm load in a .380 case

JANIJ00

My "Shell Sorter" usually catches all the .380 cases (now that I've refined my sorting procedure), but apparently someone at my practice range started using 9mm Makarov, I started finding them about a week ago. They are harder to spot than the .380. What I've done is adjust my powder check to the top edge of the "V" cut so when a 9Mak gets through the powder drop it squeals because the case is shorter and doesn't push the powder drop far enough to completely drop the powder. It seems to be working now and hopefully whoever is shooting that odd ammo will quit. (the Makarov is longer than a .380 but shorter than a 9x19)

Loaded a few up but noticed that they were considerably shorter when I placed them in the plastic ammo boxes that I use. My Lee press may also not fully drop powder into them, if I'm not mistaken the cartridge pushes up on the powder measure and that contributes to getting the correct charge. Have to go home and double check that.

• 2 weeks later...

Ive loaded a couple. they have never went bang out of my guns. loaded one in an m&p and got a light hit on the primer. same for my glock 17. failed to chamber into my open sti. one time I chambered one in my glock, failed to ignite and left the bullet in my barrel. there is a video of someone shooting factory 380 out of a glock 17. It doesnt fully cycle but doesnt explode either. I dont think its all that big of a risk if you were to shoot one by accident.

My Hornady LNL won't drop powder in .380 as it's too short to activate it.

Mine will. I usually find them when picking up my brass after a practice session. :ninja: They function fine and just have a slight bulge at the base after being shot in a 9mm.

Ive since started loading all my 9mm om a 1050 with bullet feeder, I catch them now when the bullet tips over because of a lack of bell.

• 3 months later...

I had one get all the way through my 650 with 4.2 grains bulls eye and into my mag but it didn't go bang since it fell into the chamber and my firing pin couldn't hit the primer.

I had a 380 light off in my 9, and now, get this - I had a .40 light off in my 1911 (45) !

Extractor held them both against the breechface....

I saw the .40 slug tumble towards the paper. It keyholed at only 5 yards.

Do you want me to post a pic of the case ?

I've loaded quite a few 380's in my 650 while loading 9mm as well. Thankfully, I case gauge check every single round I make. The 380's fall inside a Dillon case gauge. That's when I find em and disassemble them.

I've loaded quite a few 380's in my 650 while loading 9mm as well. Thankfully, I case gauge check every single round I make. The 380's fall inside a Dillon case gauge. That's when I find em and disassemble them.

I've never had a 380 sneak past the second station, are you saying they get all the way through before you notice?

I've never had a 380 sneak past the second station, are you saying they get all the way through before you notice?
It doesn't happen often but they can make it all the way around the press. This was loaded on my 650. Showed up while I was case gauging: 0521b96e676dd8bfee5974b65cb09baf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by razorfish

Same here, if I fail to notice the difference in the resizing stroke, when I put a primer in it pushes the case out of the plate. I wish 9mm Mak would do the same thing. (there's some guy/gal at my range who shoots that stuff and of course I get it mixed in with my range brass).

This is just me think out loud so correct me if I'm wrong.

If the OAL is the same between the 380 case and the 9mm case won't the volume end up roughly the same. The pressures should be close and there will be less neck tension on the bullet so that should help equal out the 2. There may actually more of a difference in case volume, once the bullet is seated to the same OAL, with some of the odd ball (ammo load, etc. that have the step down in the case), NATO, and standard 9mm brass.

Seems like pressure should be safe but the brass strength would be the big unknown for me. Sorting them out will always be the best bet but I never have worried about damaging the gun if it happened.

A long time ago I was curious and loaded up a few with the same OAL as the 9s I was loading and they shot to the same point of impact and felt about the same as the 9s. Cases were slightly bulged but nothing really weird. This was in a Browning HP but as long as the extractor holds them they seem to work OK.

From initial brass inspection

through all stations of the 650

even through post inspection (which has been significantly modified and improved)

Into the barrel of my wifes gun, where it did not load properly

Then into the barrel of my XDM9-5.25 which eats everything... including the .380.

Got one from a commercial reloader. Shoots fine on my SP01 Shadowline. Empty case was fine. Avoid it if you can. Might not be a problem for some pistols. Others might pose a dangerous consequence due to a short casings on a deeper chamber.