Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock Open Race gun option

SWAT

My friend would like to get a open race gun to try out USPSA open match with me.

Due to the SSE ban, he can not get any 1911/2011 by the end of the year in time.

He is considering to convert his G17 Gen 3 to be open race pistol.

Is it really worth it? The labor andf parts will cost $2000+ on top of the gun itself

http://stores.sjcguns.com/sjc-open-pistol-9mm-minor-major-pkg-build/

I just converted my G22 to open. Pyramid trigger, zev mag well, carver comp, KKM barrel, stingray c-more mount, c-more sight, extended mag release, and heavy guide rod. Did it all for about a grand. Had the gun already.

Why .40 you ask? The belt, mags, holster is all the same from my limited gun, and I don't have to get involved buying more reloading stuff. I'm going to build a "real" gun next. This was done as an introduction to the class

I just converted my G22 to open. Pyramid trigger, zev mag well, carver comp, KKM barrel, stingray c-more mount, c-more sight, extended mag release, and heavy guide rod. Did it all for about a grand. Had the gun already.

Why .40 you ask? The belt, mags, holster is all the same from my limited gun, and I don't have to get involved buying more reloading stuff. I'm going to build a "real" gun next. This was done as an introduction to the class

I'm building the same thing, with a couple of different parts. Have you decided on a load to shoot yet. Mine is going to be used for mostly Steel Challenge, and on occasion USPSA, so I still want to make major.

I'm building the same thing, with a couple of different parts. Have you decided on a load to shoot yet. Mine is going to be used for mostly Steel Challenge, and on occasion USPSA, so I still want to make major.

I guess he will use 9mm Major ammo.

I see a lot of people to use G17 to be their base pistol. Shouldn't G34 be a better base gun to build ?

I see a lot of people to use G17 to be their base pistol. Shouldn't G34 be a better base gun to build ?

No need for the longer one if your using a RDS, accuracy won't be much better.

Mine is a 17, this was just before I added a comp.

gIBQQRml.jpg

• 3 months later...

Loading WSF powder because it's all I can find with a similar burn rate to auto comp, and hs6, etc... 6.8gn with 155plated rainier @ 1.135oal runs hot at almost 180pf but the guns flat

I run a SJC Glock 17 and love it. I had a local guy to a stipple job just because I'm not a fan of their Golf Ball style.

My load is 7.2 gr of Win AC under a 124 Gr HP from Xtreme. This is pushing at 173 PF.

Over 5K down the pipe and I would do it again.

• 4 weeks later...

I run a SJC Glock 17 and love it. I had a local guy to a stipple job just because I'm not a fan of their Golf Ball style.

My load is 7.2 gr of Win AC under a 124 Gr HP from Xtreme. This is pushing at 173 PF.

Have you ever had the back plate on the back of the slide start to move down on you while firing?

Have you ever had the back plate on the back of the slide start to move down on you while firing?

Never.

Thanks! The reason I asked is that I had that happen one time with my new open Glock. It was using borrowed rounds to test with at practice. I basically Bill Drilled 6 rounds and noticed it when I was done. Went back to my ammo and was good to go. Shot my first match with it last week and it never did it again. Just a weird anomoly I suppose.

Well there is a little tab on the extractor that can be filed to adjust the extractor to the gun. I think Apex has a video up somewhere on how to do it with there extractor. Works the same on the factory one too.

But, what we are talking about with the SJC tuned extractor is they put a set screw in the back plate to adjust the tension on the extractor.

• 4 weeks later...

I built mine off a gen 4 34 because that was what I already had available. Shoots great! And I had it all built and shooting for right around $1200-$1250

• 2 months later...

No need for the longer one if your using a RDS, accuracy won't be much better.

Mine is a 17, this was just before I added a comp.

gIBQQRml.jpg