Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tape on Glasses

Dawg5

After reading Brian's book and reading some tips on the forum, I decided to give the tape over the weak eye a shot. I was amazed on how it cleared things up. When i take the glasses off and draw, I don't have problems seeing the target, but I do end up seeing two rear sights. Only one front sight, but two rear. slightly blurred target. I figured that the target was going to be blurry since your eye can't focus on more than one thing at a time, so it's something I can deal with. Glasses go back on and all I see is rear sight, front sight, Does anyone else have the problem with the rear sights or is it mostly a focus on the target that you run into. Brian, thanks for the help on this. Should help out a lot.

I'm left handed but right eye dominant. When I started shooting pistols alot I ran into problems like yours. I placed a piece of tape, actually check this out

http://www.gamaliel.com/cart/customer/prod...6&cat=73&page=1 I'm going to try it out. I haven't really shot in the last 4 yrs so I have to retrain my eye again. I always closed one eye while shooting, it ws how I was taught. After several months my left eye was dominant and I didn't have to use tape anymore.

Flyin40

I purchased a set of those from Gamaliel. I used them for a little while. I am right handed and left eye dominant. It was ok. The dot was a little big and sometimes I would move the gun or my head to shoot. I never quite got use to them.

So, I just gave in. And shoot with my dominant eye. It seems to be working ok for me.

One thing I have noticed lately is that I am pulling the gun closer to my face. It is a little bit of a strain on the wrists but it is really helping with keeping my eye on the front sight and tracking it through its movement.

I tried the tape thing and it worked great while I was shooting, but it drove me nuts between runs,,,,I lost my depth perception or something,,,,,anyway, I started using two pairs of glasses,,,,one to shoot, one to "walk around", then I got sick of switching glasses, so I went back to shooting "popeye" style and slowly over time I'm getting to where I can open my left eye just a smidge.

I managed to find another additional bonus with the tape. I placed it so in my shooting stance i couldn't see the sights with my left eye. I found that when i practiced draws that i was ducking my head because I could see the sights. So I've learned to minimize my head movement through draws by using the tape. If I can see the sights, i moved my head. Helped a lot in acquiring the sights on the draw.

Notice how the tape is positioned (on my glasses ;) ) on my book's cover. The only time it is blocking my weak eye's line of sight is when I'm in my standard shooting position. In position, if I close my aiming (right) eye, my left eye still sees everything below my grip. (From the wrists and lower.) When doing anything but actually shooting - walking around, taping targets, running through a stage - I don't even notice it's there.

Or in other words - Where you place the tape is critical. You want it high enough so you don't notice it any time other than when shooting. And only want it low enough so it obscures the gun/sights from your weak eye when in your normal shooting position.

be

I got to experience this in an "odd" sorta way over the weekend. Went down to Mesa to shoot the Western States Single Stack Classic. Saturday morning while putting in my contacts, I realized I forgot to bring a spare pair with me. Saturday went great.

Sunday morning....I tore my right lense. I tried putting my left lense in my right eye (its close to being correct) and shoot the match with one eye clear.....and the other fuzzy. I figured I had either discovered a secret shooting technique...or would be a miserable failure....it was the latter. I shoot with both eyes open...I found that I couldn't "find" targets and detecting movement and depth of field was nearly impossible. I can't figure out how people shoot with tape over their weak eye.

Moral of the story...bring an extra set of contact lenses!

For years, I've been showing people how to use the tape on the glasses...and for years, I've been considering trying it myself. Because of two different eye surgeries at two different times, I had to learn how to shoot with my left eye.

Now my right eye is much stronger and clearer, but I'm still using my deteriorating left eye for IPSC. Oddly enough, I close my left eye, and use my right eye for PPC, since seeing the sights clearly is so important.

I'm hoping Brian will advise me what to do. Should I try to change now? I'm sure I could re-learn how to present the gun, but will I be able to track the sights as well? Should I follow the, "if it's not broken" rule? I'm just not sure if changing eyes would give me that extra edge, or have an opposite effect.

Any ideas Mr. Enos?

Phil,

From everything you said, I'd switch without hesitating.

Of course it's gonna feel odd at first, but that will be gone within 3 - 4 weeks of serious practice. Dry fire the crap out of the change... longer sessions at first, then shorter, but more sessions per day, as you progress. Since your "depth of focus" will improve, not only will you "see everything" better, you will track the sights better as well. And since it's the off season... better get to work!

;)

The ol' "if it ain't broke don't fix it" rule can be a double-edged sword. Sometimes what we consider "ain't broke" really means we're just used to it.

be

The always learning and trying to improve thing is great, BUT am I the only limited shooter that suddenly fells my skills really suck if I'm having my behind kicked royally by a right handed guy using his bad left eye? :rolleyes: Imagine what he'll be like if he uses his good eye? :o

I was hopeing Brian would advise Phil to start shooting left-handed.

:lol::lol::lol:

Actually I spoke with Phil for a bit this morning... and his situation - the way he is "used to seeing" - and his pressing schedule, caused us to discuss it more thoroughly. I'll be looking forward to his report... later.

be

Well, after two days of practice with the taped eye...(drumroll)...I stunk! It's hard to believe how accustomed I am to cross-eye "dominance". When shooting one target, it was great. EVERY time I swang to another target, I always came up short left to right, and overran the target the other way.

I'm thinking now isn't the time to try this change, especially just before the Florida Open. I would like to make a respectible showing this year! Thanks for the advice Brian. I should've come to you a few months earlier!

Holy crap...I just noticed my description! That's funny. I wonder who I have to thank for that one!

:lol::lol::lol:

Phil

Flex,

I've often found when facing superior athletic ability,,,,,that a well placed billy club to the kneecap can even the odds on many athletic fields,,,,but in the case of you GM's,,,,I'd say think about taking out at least one hand/arm first,,,,,,or at least make sure they aren't hiding one loaded mag somewhere....... ;)

H4444

i've never had a real problem w/ shooting w/ both eyes open w/ in action shooting sports, but i could never do it w/ trap shooting. so i tried the tape over my left eye for a month and it did not help at all. so i gave it up and returned to one eye trap shooting.

i did i do something wrong? i started w/ black tape to totally block my left eye to train just keeping both eyes open. then i moved to semi-transparent tape to let a little more light in. then i moved to transparent tape. all of these worked fine. but when i took off all the tape i coudl not hit a thing w/ both eyes open. but only in trap.

• 3 weeks later...

I ordered the Browning Magic Dot and received it the other day. Much better than tape. I started out with the large 19mm but will eventually go down to the smaller one. It comes with a disk so you put the dot in the correct place, very easy.

My left has already started to turn dominant. With no tape my left eye will pick up the sights about 2 out of 10times. When I did it before it took several months to make the eye switch to where I didn't have to shoot with any tape on my glasses.

Flyin40

I shoot with both eyes open...I found that I couldn't "find" targets and detecting movement and depth of field was nearly impossible.  I can't figure out how people shoot with tape over their weak eye.

Imagine how all of us poor monocular visioned saps feel amongst such a large group of binocular visioned shooters. <_< I am seriously considering trying the Browning dots as an experiment.

When a guy like Phil Strader sincerely and respectfully asks for Brian's opinion, it reminds me how much we take Mr. Enos for granted. Both of these gentlemen are class acts.

Ditto That!