Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Brand new K40 stuck in gun/ magwell

jaep1911

It has been two weeks since I got the Elite Limited 40cal and I am loving it. I got my 650XL converted to 40cal and made several dummy rounds for dry fire. When I release the mag after racking the slide (a dummy loaded in the chamber), the mag gets stuck in the gun/ magwell. As I rack the slide to load, the top round seems to push the next round forward in the mag and it holds the mag in the gun. This happens no matter how many dummy rounds remain in the mag. I cannot find any relevant threads. What is the cause for this phenomenon? Any remedy?

FYI-

Set-up: U-die followed by Dillon factory dies.

COL = 1.125 ~ 1.130

Thanks in advance!

post-39840-0-10678400-1416787453_thumb.jpost-39840-0-88372200-1416787464_thumb.j

Edited by jaep1911

Thanks guys. I will file the edge and see if that resolves the problem. How much bevel are you talking about? 0.5mm?? I do not want to go too far.

waktasz - thanks for letting me hold your Tanfo at the ESPS match the other day :)

You can take a medium stone at a 45 degree angle and give it 4-8 swipes. Then radius/polish the area. This should get rid of any burs. You don't need to do a lot to fix the sharp leading edge. You just want to take enough material off so that when the next round pops up there is nothing sharp or "grabby" to push the round in the magazine forward.

I also stone and polish the full length of that rib on the bottom side of the slide. Some of the slides I have had some rough spots on that rib, and on some the rib was bulged a little (.010") near the breach face so I took it down flat. This also reduces drag and helps cycling. Also as you shoot it more that rib gets polished on its own.

Thanks guys. I beveled (approx 0.3mm) and polished it last night but did not polishing the entire bottom surface. I still had the same problem. I can see where the bullets have been contacting inside the gun, from the trigger plunger all the way down to almost the bottom of the magwell. I will polish the bottom surface, shoot more patiently and see how it goes.

Cheers

Waktasz - it is approx 1.125 ~ 1.130. Light crimp. All went in the gage and actual barrel.

Nealio - It is a stock spring. Might be weak?

The feed lip opening is 0.385. Pretty parallel. I am using Reinier plated bullets.

Well, I polished the hell out of the bottom surface and the failure to drop rate has gone from 100% to 10% (3 out of 30 cycles). I now see the light at the end of the tunnel.

You guys are PHENOMENAL!!!!

Thanks a lot.

You can see where the bullets have been contacting in the gun here. And here is my new toy.post-39840-0-80055700-1416963463_thumb.jpost-39840-0-85761200-1416963480_thumb.j

Edited by jaep1911

After 300 rounds, no more problem:) Thanks a lot guys!

BTW, I just received a TF mag base along with a grams spring for the factory K-40 mag. At first, the mag did not want to seat completely so I loosened the magwell while having the mag in the gun and tightened the mag well. The mag now seats completely and comes out freely. Right now I can have 20 rounds in it and it is reloadable. I will let it sit for a while and see how it changes.

I have read Henning's article about tuning the grams spring and follower (bend the spring to the right) but the kit seems to work without any changes to it. Am I lucky or missing something?