Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder shortage

jmbaccolyte

Has anyone seen 8# jugs of Clays available in your area? I know that I'm whining, but a man has to do what a man has to do.

PS: I do have some pride, I'll make do with WST if I have to... I guess. That I've got, some anyway.

Edited by jmbaccolyte

I've been here in my space, where I always am. I'm older and I operate on a different schedule than you young guys (yeah even you, Sarge- my oldest child is currently an OW-2, so I'm getting up there in age).

Has Hogdgon started a new factory or arranged for another company to make their powder or something?

The plant didn't blow up. Part of it burned- the powder drying facility I believe. At any rate, Hodgdon's Clays line of powders will return to dealers shelves starting in January (in limited quantities) according to distributors.

The plant didn't blow up. Part of it burned- the powder drying facility I believe. At any rate, Hodgdon's Clays line of powders will return to dealers shelves starting in January (in limited quantities) according to distributors.

Burn, Boom, whatever. The plant was smoking when all was said and done I'm sure. Regardless there is no clays. And when it starts "hitting dealers shelves in January" means you guys that use it might see it by next summer unless you are on an early back order list somewhere.

Burn, Boom, whatever. The plant was smoking when all was said and done I'm sure. Regardless there is no clays. And when it starts "hitting dealers shelves in January" means you guys that use it might see it by next summer unless you are on an early back order list somewhere.

I wasn't poking at you Sarge. I'm just glad there might be some Clays in the near future!!

Youngeyes- How does Clay Dot work as a substitute for Clays?

Sorry Nimitz- the WST is great. Its just that I like Clays better for minor power factor.

I don't have first hand experience but there are several powders Alliant and Hogden compete with. The following is an Alliant description of Clay Dot...

Designed for competition shooters, Clay Dot is functionally and technically identical to competitive shotshell powders but at a reduced price. Designed to duplicate the performance of Hodgdon Clays at an economical price. This American-made powder meters the same through reloading press powder bushings and functions with the exact same powder charge weights to achieve equal velocities and pressures. No need to change bushings or load data.

Hope this helps.

Hodgens says to use IMR 700x may be another year before we see clays.

If I could get it to meter at all I'd make use of the 4lbs in my basement.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

At least you only have 4lbs. I bought 8lbs of it before realizing that it doesn't meter so great.

jmbaccolyte, Clay Dot is an excellent substitution for Clays. Use the same data. Like all canister grade powders it varies slightly from lot to lot. That being said, if you get x, y and z from Clays, you'll get the same from Clay Dot. About the only difference I can see is the residue from Clays is grey and very slightly gritty, where that from Clay Dot is black and not gritty.