Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Favored grip tape option?

Lior

Dear M&Pers,

Which option for grip tape for competitive use is favorable for M&Ps? Rubber or abrasive? Grip only or also for trigger guard / index finger point on the frame?

I'm asking because as far as I can see, grip jobs exist so that we can use less strength to grip our guns securely, so our muscles don't fight each other so much as we shoot, while the M&P is light weight for a racegun, weighing about half of its (Apex competition) trigger pull.

i bought skateboard tape off of Amazon. Its abrasive and initially it makes my hand have calluses and sometimes bleed depending on how dry my hands are. IT is great though especially in the summer and when my hands are sweaty.

I have grip tape on the backstrap, beavertail, grip on both sides and on the slide to aid in manipulating the slide. I also have a small piece on the frame to index my trigger finger.

I only have it where my hands contact the gun.

20140720_180544_zps6cc86867.jpg

On my older M&P pro, I used the Talon grip. I cut away the part that wraped around the back of the grip in case I got a bad grip on the draw. If you get a bad grip when drawing fast, you can't adjust it easily.

I got the sandpaper which wore the hell out of my thumb during dry-fire until I took a file and smoothed it down where it was too abrasive.

My newer Pro has the "core" style backstrap and I don't use any grip tape.

The Talon is great when it is hot out. I might put it on my newer M&P.

+1 for the Dawson sandpaper/skate-tape product. It only covers the frontstrap and sides of the grip though. As mentioned before, this gives you a little wiggle room on a "missed" draw so that your hand can still scoot into position on the backstrap. I did add tape to bottom and front of trigger guard and a small piece for my weak hand thumb to find on the frame just above the front of the trigger guard. Works for me.