Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What are the He Man rules?

Bill H

Is there a uniform set of rules for he man class? Are muzzle brakes allowed on the rifles? Any capacity restrictions?

Are shotguns limited to 9 rounds?

Pistols are .45 I assume. Does 45 GAP qualify? 10rd limit?

Thanks for your help!

Bill

Bill-

All the matches I have seen allow a muzzle brake/comp on the rifle; .308 and 20 rnds max. The shotgun has been either a pump 12 or auto; 9 rnds max. The JP/RM3G now only allows a pump :D

As far as pistol, .45 is normally the choice, but again, the JP/RM3G (as do others)now allows the .45 GAP which makes sense; 10 rnds max. I know alot of people say it should be a single stack only :angry: , but there are many fine pistolas out there that shoot ACP or GAP.

For "He Man" in the VA/MD section, we follow these rules:

Shotgun: Pump only & must be 12 gauge; no optics porting or speedloaders

Rifle: has to be 30 cal. or greater

Pistol: must be .45 ACP although other "manly" calibers like 10mm, .44 magnum, etc. considered on case by case basis.

First match I shot, I used an AK-47 (SLR-95 w/ dual grip setup & 40 round mags), and 870 & a CZ-97B-SA (.45 of course). Second match - same except I substituted a Springfield M-1A for the AK. Check out: www.mpsa.net Regards, D.

We are honoring HM division at our local long gun matches now and require a 12 gauge pump shotgun, no bbl porting. A .30 caliber rifle with iron sights, no bipods and major ammo. We have not looked at round limits for HM long guns yet, but probably should at some point.

For pistol, I would say that any major PF pisol from .357 magnum revolvers on up should be allowed as long as it holds no more than 10 rounds, has iron sight and no bbl porting. Wanna' shoot a Ruger Super RedHawk .44 mag, or Freedom Arms .454 Casul, no problem. Nothing un-He-Man like about that!

The division is still getting sorted out as far as all the diverse matches go, but seems to be universally settling on .30 rifle with irons, 12 gauge pump and 10 round major big bore pistol so far. Details are still being found, let alone settled.

--

Regards,

We just finished up another "5th Sunday of the month" He-man 3-gun. This would be our 5th He-man only 3-gun match. Average turnout is around 22 shooters.

Rules we use are:

45acp pistol (any brand or style) with 10 rounds max, no ports, optics, etc.

308 or 30-06 rifle only, iron sights only, muzzle brake allowd. No bipods.

12 gauge pump, 9 rounds max, no optics, speed loaders, ports or brakes.

All kinds of pistols show up. Single stack and hi-cap 1911's, Glocks, Ruger and HK.

Most of the rifles are FAL's, some AR-10 types, H&K, M1A's and a few Garands.

Shotguns are mostly 870's, followed closely by Mossberg and a few Winchesters.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
For "He Man" in the VA/MD section, we follow these rules:

Shotgun: Pump only & must be 12 gauge; no optics porting or speedloaders

Rifle: has to be 30 cal. or greater

Pistol: must be .45 ACP although other "manly" calibers like 10mm, .44 magnum, etc. considered on case by case basis.

First match I shot, I used an AK-47 (SLR-95 w/ dual grip setup & 40 round mags), and 870 & a CZ-97B-SA (.45 of course). Second match - same except I substituted a Springfield M-1A for the AK. Check out: www.mpsa.net Regards, D.

Carlos,

Do you ever shoot the 3-gun matches at SCSC near Waldorf MD? I just joined there and am looking to do my first 3-gun match there in August. I'm not sure what I want to use though. If I do "He Man" could I use my M1A, 870, and HK USP? Is there a mag cap on the pistol? If there is, is it just a matter of loading 10 instead of 12?

Thanks

Rich

I looked really closely at the major IMGA matches when I was working on the USPSA multi-gun rules.

Best advice I can give you is, do some advance recon. Find out what rules will be in effect at the match you are going to.

There were a number of variations between (for example) the Superstition Mountain, Rocky Mountain, and Tri-Gun matches, including

-- how many can be loaded in a mag

-- whether comps are allowed on rifle

-- whether shotgun can be auto, or must be pump

-- whether there are holster type or location requirements

-- etc

I'm *hoping* that we'll be able to negotiate a "standard definition" for Heavy Metal before the 2006 shooting season starts... I think it would be good for all of us to cut some of the confusion out of the picture, and grow towards each other.

$.02

Bruce

As I said before, I think it is silly to mandate a 12ga pump shotgun. A 12ga semi-auto shotgun is already making Major, why add to the list of equipment that someone must buy to compete? I thought the whole point of HeMan/Heavy Metal/etc was to use Major-making firearms? I think the SMM3G has the the Division defined correctly.

I thought the whole point of HeMan/Heavy Metal/etc was to use Major-making firearms?

Interestingly (?), there's no requirement in the IMGA rules that Heavy Metal guns make "major"... in fact, there's no mention of power factor at all.

Have already seen people at (for example) SMM3G that are "playing" with their loads, to reduce recoil.... which *really* seems to be missing the whole point of Heavy Metal.

Bruce

I thought the whole point of HeMan/Heavy Metal/etc was to use Major-making firearms?

Interestingly (?), there's no requirement in the IMGA rules that Heavy Metal guns make "major"... in fact, there's no mention of power factor at all.

Have already seen people at (for example) SMM3G that are "playing" with their loads, to reduce recoil.... which *really* seems to be missing the whole point of Heavy Metal.

Bruce

I believe there should a power factor requirement for He-Man/Heavy Metal AS LONG AS MATCHES ENFORCE IT which non-USPSA matches are loathe to do. But if there is no enforcement, power factors should not be required.

I didn't mean this to start a Power Factor discussion for 3-gun matches. True, SMM3G doesn't chrono, as they don't have any PF requirement. My point was/is, that a 12ga shotgun is a 12 ga shotgun, no matter how it is operated.

-David