Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Private instructor

Chris54326

Is the goal USPSA GM or surviving an unplanned trip to a 2 way range? I've just taken group classes. For how to shoot a handgun, that's the most cost effective way to go. To get to very high levels, who knows. I will never get there.

I don't know what I'm doing incorrectly.

You are very wise Chris, to understand that .... :bow:

While you're waiting for your mentor, it's possible that

you might get quite a bit of help from some of BE's

experts (No, I'm not one) - if you were to list some

of the symptoms that lead you to believe you

"have issues" with fundamentals.

What are you shooting? (as specifically as possible),

and what is going wrong? What level shooter are you? :cheers:

I suggest you call Safety First Gun Range in Edmond. The owner is a USPSA member with lots of training experience. The range is in your neck of the woods and based on what you said you're looking for, very likely a more cost effective alternative to US Shooting Academy.

maQz5itEDuy.png
(405) 285-9600

https://www.facebook.com/safety1stGR?fref=nf

Totally agree with Jay. You have to have an instructor who can teach, analyze you and bring to bear drills and coaching that is fit to you. The are a scant few who have those abilities, Seeklander is one of them. Most instructors improve your performance only through being there while you pay them to practice for a day, but the bump does not last.

MarkCO, I agree totally. And I'm sure that TDSA is worthy of both my consideration and time. But I'd like to find a local instructor to help me get my grip back where it belongs. That's my problem at this point. Oh, and I might add that I lost the ring finger on my left hand a year and a half ago. The Surgeon said my motor skills would come back quick, (which they have) but that my strength would take a long time............if ever returning to normal. So that's been a problem. Didn't have Youtube 40 years ago when I was shooting regularly, so have been watching all the grip videos I can from "champion" shooters to see what I can come up with. Picking up a lot of pointers, but so far nothing has "hit the nail on the head" as to a solution for my problem. With my .40 I've been loading "bunny fart" loads that leave the barrel at around 750 fps to see if I can stop anticipating recoil. (something I've never gotten used to with the Glock 27) Seems to help a little, but keeping 10 shots inside an 8 inch target at 7 yards is still the best I can do. Disappointing, to say the least.

10 shots inside an 8" ring at 7 yards is putting you ahead of 75% of the keyboard commandos already, and with a stock Glock 27 to boot. Take a class, preferably with someone that is familiar with USPSA shooting, you can add any tactical training after that. I still see people trying to teach and sing the praises of the "push-pull". Instructors that actively compete are usually way beyond that.

Never hurts to take quality classes. I'd look at both the instructor in Edmond, and would take a class from Mike in a heartbeat.

Sometimes it really is best to get instruction from the best as soon as possible so you know who is subsequently just blowing smoke up your rear.

No one is going to laugh you off the range. I really believe that most shooters want to help other shooters as much as they can, BUT you need the basic knowledge to know when someone is full of bs, so you can smile, say thank you and not pay attention to anything they tell you.

Random thoughts,

wg

Throwing this out there.

Steve Anderson will do a class with you live via the Internet on a computer.

He has written some of the best books about DRYFIRE and USPSA you can read. Plus, the guy has a gift for analysing and instructing.

Might want to give Steve a call, he is towards the top of the vendor area, Anderson Shooting. Also has a podcast that's pretty good, you better like Van Halen though.