Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Putting together a rifle for next season ... Part check time!

IntenseImage

This season I have been shooting an off the shelf semi competition ready rifle and it has performed well. However, I want to put something together for next season that is a little more competition specific.

Parts I am considering:

Nordic or VooDoo Ultralight barrel

Gas block (see below)

Miculek comp (may consider others)

Carbon Fiber handguard (deciding on brand)

AP Customs LW BCG

BCM Mod 4 CH

Hiperfire 24G trigger

Taccom Adjustable ULW buffer

ARFX Stock

Right now my biggest concern is the barrel/gas block. Originally I was set on the Nordic barrel w Carbon Arms block but the Taccom adjustable LW buffer has me intrigued and looks like adjustable gas (Would use SLR) is a necessity. As the Nordic has the smaller gas port, I am wondering if there will be any problems running an adjustable block as well (hence the VooDoo option).

If it matters, I plan on shooting AE223 55g all season

Thoughts, concerns, suggestions appreciated!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I guess my concern is more about tuning for the adjustable buffer. Running a fixed block on the Nordic may not restrict enough and on the other end of the spectrum I'm pretty sure the smaller port of the Nordic wouldn't give me an undergassed situation with that buffer system

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Mark at carbon arms is a great guy. He will not steer you wrong. I got my upper from him, it like a pice of art. With a jp bcg you will be good 2 go. And it's good to support someone that dose so much for our sport. He will tell you that you will not need an adjustable gas block. And he is correct my dose not and will not have an adjustable gas block. The gun just runs like a bat out of hell! Hope this helps

As the Nordic has the smaller gas port, I am wondering if there will be any problems running an adjustable block as well

It is a system and all the parts have to be balanced for optimum performance. If you feel the need to run a lighter buffer system, you should probably be reloading and running a lower PF ammo as well. While a faster recoil impulse can change the feel of the gun, it does have a trade-off. Anyway, the Nordic barrel, with a system lighter than a carbine buffer minus a weight and a low mass carrier will run better with a wider tuning window that a barrel with a larger gas port. It will also last longer.

If you have any questions, you are more than welcome to give me a ring.

Long post coming, stick it out and then we can debate your parts selection....

There are many great ideas, and great inventions in the world, and sometimes they are even marketed by people with good intentions. It can be difficult to separate the marketing hype from reality, especially when people actually believe the hype. Things like rifles and rifle parts are especially prone to subjective praise and criticism that can be based in emotion rather than fact. If you hit the long range target with your first shot do you have a good barrel? What about a small group? Does shooting a small group mean that you have a "good" barrel? If you miss the target on your first attempt, or have a flyer from the group does that mean that your barrel is "bad" or did you as the shooter fail to "do your job". I strongly maintain that as long as your rifle functions and is mechanical capable of shooting 2" groups at 100 yards the shooter is still the the limiting factor and not the rifle.

Commonly I read that a rifle that shoots 2" groups will be 6" off at 300 yards, this is flawed logic. A group is measured from its diameter, and the shots are distributed all through the circle, or as I have heard it called the cone of dispersion. If the aiming point is in the middle of the cone, the Furthest a shot will be from the aim point is 1/2 the size of the rifles group, and the average distance from the aim point will be closer to 1/4 of the average group size. The reason that I bring this up is to illistrate that the rifle's performance pales in comparison to the rifleman's. There are some shots out to 500 yards, but never very many, the vast majority of our match shooting is between 0 - 300 yards. If your rifle is capable of 4" groups at 100, with a perfect hold and trigger press out math tells us that the group at 300 would 12", that would mean that all of the shots would still fall in a 12" circle, and that half or more would fall in a 6" circle. Your position, hold and trigger control are what makes you hit the target, not the mechanical accuracy of your rifle. A good shooter with a bad rifle will beat a bad shooter with a good rifle any day.

Now we get to the skinny on parts selection, some are better than others, but as long as they don't really suck ass, it won't make a lick of difference to your match scores. So get a cut rifled hand lapped match barrel if you want one, or a button rifled match barrel, or a hammer forged chrome lined barrel, adjustable gas or fixed, one gas block or another, it will still get down to how well you as a shooter can shoot far more than the mechanical capacity for accuracy that your chosen rife has. I like to buy from guys that support our sport and that I know, and who I do not thing are douchebags.

Wow, I was going to ask you about my new build but I think I'll keep it to myself.

Doug

Now that is a dirty lie! You would not have asked about your new build. You do not care what any jack wagon on the internet cares and would not ask opinions unless you wanted to ridicule them. Shouldn't you be training our future leaders or something?

Wow, I was going to ask you about my new build but I think I'll keep it to myself.

Doug

Now that is a dirty lie! You would not have asked about your new build. You do not care what any jack wagon on the internet cares and would not ask opinions unless you wanted to ridicule them. Shouldn't you be training our future leaders or something?

Got me! Main reason I wouldn't ask is that I try to build guns from free parts I pick up and those are usually not the "cool" parts so everyone would tell me I'm stupid (whether or not that is true is a different story). Unfortunately for the companies that make lots of cool parts, learning how to actually shoot is more important than the parts you use to build your gun. That said, I still would rather own guns that shoot well made from quality parts than guns that shoot OK made from junk.

At a local match earlier this year I met a guy who was having trouble with his AR. He showed me his bolt and I swear it looked like a bad photocopy of a bolt. Worst piece of junk I have ever seen on a real firearm. He said it was an "economy" AR upper he bought but he said he got it cheap. I ended up lending him an old Rock River bolt I had in my spares kit and he was happy as a clam because the gun would work.

Doug

Are you a builder or a shooter? Doing both sacrifices one for the other unless you have a lot of spare time on your hands.

Sterling, when did you start huffing glue? I also play hockey does that make me a bad shooter and builder?

A long time ago a gentleman by the name of Jeff Hogue back on the east coast told me that. He said you can gunsmith until your heart is content chasing problems - many that you create OR you can spend your time practicing. I do admit that I like to tinker and yes I own a couple of dremels. :devil: However, I know my limits and stay away from the gears and cogs that make things werk-ked! :roflol:

smelling glue is bad juju while drinking brewskey is good for the memory :cheers:

• 4 months later...

Thank you ... It is running GREAT

Upper:

DPMS Miculek Compensator

18" Nordic Barrel

SLR Sentry7 gas block

16.5" SLR Solo Ultralite MLok Handguard

VDI Low mass BCG

BCM Mod 4 CH

Lanco Tactical GripStop

Lower:

Hiperfire 24 3G trigger

Magpul K2 grip

Magpul BAD lever

Odin Works XMR2 mag release

HERA ambi safety (short throw setup)

Luth-AR stock

Taccom Adjustable lightweight buffer

Optic:

Vortex Razor HD 1-6 w/ JM Reticle

Primary Arms Deluxe Extended Mount

I have some TTi basepads coming as well as the metal SwitchView to replace the plastic one on there now

Also debating the optic mount. May switch to an Aero Precision SPR to save 1/4 lb

Edited by IntenseImage