Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon RF 100

I use it for a book end. Bought a Pal filler and have had no failures in 10,000 rounds. The RF-100 is very frustrating.

I will trade you it for a pair of brass duckhead bookends. Will hold books just the same and you won't have to look at the cord dangling there.

I've had one for several years. Love it. Win, Fed and CCI primers run fine. Every once in a blue moon it has jammed up but less times than my 650 has and I haven't kicked that to the curb yet. I dump primers and turn it on. By the time I have loaded the 100 in the press it is done and all I do is drop the next load in the press and keep loading. I load about 2K a month and that is a lot of primers to pick up individually off a tray.

Mine has the rheostat and I understand that was a big improvement over the prior model.

I use it for a book end. Bought a Pal filler and have had no failures in 10,000 rounds. The RF-100 is very frustrating.

+1 on the pal filler. I read everything I could find on the RF100 and wanted one initially but it just seemed so many had problems with them being 100% especially small primers which is all I load.

The pal filler is pricey but it's an excellent tool!

I have been using the Vibra-Prime and for $40 I gotta say it really is awesome. Zero upside down primers (plus I get to see them all fall into the tube oriented upright).

To load up 5 tubes takes only two minutes, but indeed it is time away from the press handle.

IF money wasn't really an option, I'd happily have an RF-100 and just keep filling my 650 as they primers run out, I do see the attraction there. But honestly for 1/8th the price of an RF-100 I am very happy with my current setup.

It is by far one of the least NECESSARY machines for your average competitive reloader, but for those that can, why not?? Saves some time, not a ton, but some.

I'm also 25 years old and don't get to swim around in a pool of money, so your financial mileage may vary.

I have three RF-100's, and even thought they are somewhat finicky, I would not be without them.

I looked at the pal filler, and see several issues with it, besides its crazy high cost, for what it is.

It looks like you need three hands to comfortably empty the primer box into the machine. In the video they mention the "standard box" - but things like Federal, WInchester and Remington all have very different box shapes and sizes. Ideally, you would like to put the machine into some sort of a holder, while you are dumping in the primers. And I am not sure how you would dump the Feds - as the box is larger than the machine's tray. With Dillon there is no such issue.

Once you get the primers in there, it does load them fast, but I still prefer the Dillon's dump-press-and forget - I can do other things while it is loading the tube.

I'd like to pass along a MOD I did to my RF-100s. Cost $0.10.

Completed the '10 cent noise modification' for my 2nd Dillon RF100 Primer Filling machine. Both machines run very reliable, and are now much, much quieter. Getting the small primer RF100 machine fine-tuned was a little trickery than the large primer machine, due small primers having similar width and height dimensions. They will invert much easier than large primers. As you can see, I don't have that issue, even after my 10 cent noise modification.

The modification consist of a 10 cent rubber foot trimmed, to keep the nipple adjustment screw about the thickness of a medium guitar pick from touching the top of the primer filling tube. I used some expoy to secure rubber foot on the bottom side of the bowl. I'm no mechanical engineer by any means, but this mod accomplished two things. First it isolated the filling tube from the bowl, which in turn virtually eliminated inverted primers, and second, it reduced the noise tremendously. Some folks may say having a machine to fill primer tubes is a waste of money. That's fine. To each his own. I've been reloading for over 40 years, and throughout that entire time, filling primer tubes is the only part that makes me nervous. Seen several others have issues with chain reactions. Anything I can do to reduce that risk, I will.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lV-ZPFeMnF4