Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is the glock 26 more accurate than the 17 and 34?

3djedi

I think that both guns are intrinsically as-accurate as the other. If you were to put both in a Ransom Rest, you'd probably get very similar group sizes.

The G-26/27 guns really force the shooter to watch the sights. A very small error in the alignment of sight with such a short sight radius will produce a large error downrange.

Longer guns, such as the 34/35 or the 17L/24, only require the shooter to get the front sight near the rear sight notch to produce an acceptable shot at reasonable ranges.

With that being said, perfect sight alignment with EITHER gun is going to produce a perfect shot. The longer guns are simply more forgiving of those small errors.

I believe I heard maas say they are mechanically more accurate because of the rigidity and tighter lockup of the shorter barrel.

He said from the bench the 17 and 34 were getting 3-4" groups at 25y but the 26 was getting a little over 1"

In that article, he talks about how they bench rest more accurately. In my opinion, this is true. The reason I think this works for bench rest is because you can get a perfect sight picture (equal height/equal light between the front and rear sight). On a short radius gun, this is even easier to do consistently because the front sight appears wider and the light bars on the side of the front sight are smaller, which allows you to line it up easier. I can shoot more accurate bench rested groups with my G26 using standard 3 dot trijicon night sights than I can with my G35 using TTI sights with a narrow front sight. However, this does not necessarily relate to standing unsupported accuracy, where the longer sight radius gives you more forgiveness. If you don't have perfect sight alignment, an offset of the front sight in the rear notch will be much more pronounced down range on a shorter sight radius. Here is an example of a 50 yard, 5 shot bench rest group I shot with my G26 using factory speer lawman 115gr ammo:

IMG_3791.jpg

Slightly off topic.....I was under the impression that the stock Glock barrels weren't very accurate and considered getting a KKM for my G17. Last Friday I played around with some long distance (for me) shots with my 17 and was able to hit "C" zone steel 5 out of 10 times at 92 yards. That was just freestyle shooting. I'm not sure what it would have done of a bench at 25, but I'm pretty happy with the accuracy.

I've shot my G26 in a handful of USPSA and Steel Challenge matches.

- I'm in the camp that believes that a barrels job is to stabilize the bullet. If it it does that, it doesn't really matter how long the barrel is (regarding accuracy). Accuracy, it seems, is more of a product of fit and lockup.

- I also feel...through anecdotal experience, not scientific testing...that Glocks that lock up tighter tend to be more accurate (other factors remaining constant).

All that to say this... My G26 is plenty accurate. It hits well at what we do when compared to the full sized Glocks. However, it doesn't handle the same. You might not grip it as well coming out of the holster. You might lose the grip during a reload. That can really matter.

I can share that, during an USPSA stage, I had my grip shift a wee bit during a reload. That impacted my trigger pull. I watched the sights dip off off a steel plate a couple times as my trigger released. A couple of misses was enough to put me into needing another reload to finish...so I hit another reload and re-established my grip. All good from there.

Shooting groups or GSSF...you don't really have to worry about establishing a grip on the draw or keeping it during a reload.

• 3 weeks later...

I dunno about differences in mechanical accuracy (I'm not accurate enough of a shooter to confirm) but it sure is fun to shoot. The 26 is my second favorite Glock of all time.

Well, probably 3rd if I ever get to shoot an 18c