Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stage Procedure Verbage

I'm doing a few stages for a match and I want to purvey that if you step out of the shooting area, you must step back in in the same place in order not to incur procedural penalties per shot. The words have eluded me this morning and my searches haven't turned up anything. Let me know what you use or think would be sufficient. Thanks

If you are using USPSA rules, you need to look at all of the rules. 1.1.5 specifies freestyle and 10.2.9 specifies shooting from the same location. Location is defined in the USPSA rules as:

Location ........................... A physical space within the boundaries of a course of fire. For the purposes of this rule, a competitor will not be considered to have changed location until both feet have moved to a new physical position.
The best way would be to use walls or other boundaries with only one "entrance/exit" from the shooting location. If a competitor leaves a shooting location, but does not enter a new one, all you can make them do is get back in it prior to shooting. Their methodology can be controlled with props and barriers, but not just words. Also, it would be very subjective any other way, which is one of the reasons that type of competitor control is not allowed in USPSA.

I agree with Mark. If you want to prevent somebody from doing something, make it not worth their while through how the stage is set-up. On some stages, depending on how they are set up it might make sense to cut a corner by stepping outside the shooting area. However if you add a couple more walls it makes the distance they have to travel further and would make the short-cut not worth it.

Personally I like the options that 1.1.5 gives us, and would prefer not to limit somebody's action with special instructions in the WSB.

Wordy WSB's are not the answer. Good stage design is, when I read 10.2.9 I see that you can prohibit coming back to a location, not require it

Exactly. With the new methods of gaming and the lack of enforcement on "sportsmanship", it gets frustrating. With the Pete and RePete style shooting at the local level, I just wanted to verb it so that if someone left the shooting area, they had to re-enter in the same spot. Nothing like watching a C/D shooter try to emulate a Master, get lost and have to run back up a stage.

poor stage design?

You're probably right, but there was only one volunteer.

Thanks for all the feedback. It seems I was trying to stop something that can be handled by adding more props. I had to DQ a lower ranked shooter at a match because he followed a Master shooter to a 180 trap on the same style stage. It wasn't a trap if you stayed in the shooting area to shoot, but if you gamed it and crossed over without stopping immediately, it became one. Just trying to avoid ruining someone else's day with a similar backwards L design.

I had to DQ a lower ranked shooter at a match because he followed a Master shooter to a 180 trap on the same style stage. It wasn't a trap if you stayed in the shooting area to shoot, but if you gamed it and crossed over without stopping immediately, it became one. Just trying to avoid ruining someone else's day with a similar backwards L design.

I understand your motivation. I also hate when people dq themselves, but I think we also need to continue putting on matches that are challenging and allow creativity and different strategies. DQ-ing is an extremely effective way to learn important things.

• 2 months later...