Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

300 Blackout

bigarm

Tell me about the 300 Blackout. Can I change the barrel or upper on an .223 to convert to one? I have a spare AR that doesn't get used much that I could convert. As far as ammo, I reload plus I am now casting bullets. Any suggestions on barrels or uppers? Links to useful information?

If you aren't going to build a suppressed SBR, the .300BLK probably isn't much to get excited about, honestly. One of the 6.5/6.8 rounds would be my choice for something different in the AR15 envelope.

However, if you are going to build a suppressed SBR, the .300BLK is really, really cool. 8" Noveske barrel + AAC SDN-6 = awesome. Mine is my go-to "house gun" these days.

it hits hard at close distances. all you need is the barrel to change an Ar. all the powder burns up quick so you can run it really short with much less percussion than a shorty 223. I am building an 8.5" with a Samson FF tube. no can but it will be a potent HD blaster

Figured I'd ask since no one else has yet. Do you have a specific purpose or use in mind for a 300? I would have to agree with cloudy, besides a suppressed sbr the cartridge doesn't excite me any. Not trying to change your mind, but it is easier to help you out if we know what you want out of the build.

Figured I'd ask since no one else has yet. Do you have a specific purpose or use in mind for a 300? I would have to agree with cloudy, besides a suppressed sbr the cartridge doesn't excite me any. Not trying to change your mind, but it is easier to help you out if we know what you want out of the build.

Mainly for the fun of it and home defense. Just for something new.

Given the cost of ammo I would personally just get a .308 but if reloading I guess it just becomes a wash

Going to the larger cartridge severely limits your gun and magazine options. And subsonic .308 (if you need quiet suppressed rounds) is expensive and generally won't cycle a semiauto.

Did anybody ever figure out how to make a reliable 7.62x39 AR that uses a standard lower? Given the ballistic similarities to 300 blackout, ammo cost, and the fact I live in IL so suppressors and sbr's are out, I might be interested in such a thing for the fun of it.

Did anybody ever figure out how to make a reliable 7.62x39 AR that uses a standard lower? Given the ballistic similarities to 300 blackout, ammo cost, and the fact I live in IL so suppressors and sbr's are out, I might be interested in such a thing for the fun of it.

By the time you buy the parts and funky magazines (that may or may not work), you're better off just buying a cheap AK to shoot 7.62X39.

That's about what I figured. I know RRA supposedly made a reliable one but it's a proprietary lower that takes AK mags. Given that I'm only mildly interested in such things, a whole new non AR compatible AR just to have as a toy is not gonna happen.

By the time you buy the parts and funky magazines (that may or may not work), you're better off just buying a cheap AK to shoot 7.62X39.

Sad to say, there almost isn't such a thing as a cheap AK anymore.

I have a 10.3 inch Daniel Defense and it is really accurate and quiet suppressed. I am shooting the Fiocchi 150 ammo and I think I am going to start cutting down 5.56 to make a bunch more ammo for this. There area lot of videos if you do a google search of guys using a cheap Northern Tool chop saw to cut them to length. They are fun guns and for 100 yards and in they hit hard. I would definitely say buy one if you are on the fence.

For practical purposes, think of 300 BLK as a "semiauto 30-30". Supersonic ballistics and energy are very similar to the old .30 WCF.

Subsonic and suppressed, it is very quiet. Like Hollywood movie quiet.

To run subsonic and suppressed, get an adjustable gas block.

I have a 10.5" Spikes SBR with a AAC 762SDN6. It hits accurately out to 200 yards with a Trijicon 1x reflex sight.

Use Pmags

I built mine out of spare parts i had, i run a 16" rock creek barrel with a Coastal 7.63 can, nothing fancy on this gun and it runs subs and supers like a dream. i have killed deer with it out to 300 with Remington factory 115 GR and other various animals with the 220 subsonic. its quiet and has ZERO recoil. I put a Burris 1-4 on it to match my 3 gun rifle in 5.56 and the holds for the 115Gr are very close to what my 5.56 is with 69gr. i love my blackout and it is by far a favorite to shoot for me and the kids. ammo can be found for very resonable prices if you are willing to look for it and reloading can be done quite easily as well.

Edited by wbpowell

• 1 month later...

Does anyone have any good recommendations for a good comp with 300 blk? I got a good deal on a Wilson Combat 16" barrel, very lightly used and put it in my other AR that wasn't getting any use. However, now I need a comp. There isn't as much info about a comp for 300 blk as there is for .223. I was toying with idea of SJC Titan, BC/JP, or the miculek. But, like I said, I haven't seen any info to sway me one way or the other.

So, now I should just sell my old barrel that was on it. I had a BRO fluted, ss, 18" mid-length gas barrel with < 1k rounds. I had a SJC titan on it also and thinking of selling that also.

Too bad there isn't powder that would work great in .223, .308, & 300 blk!

I dunno on the comp. start with a mick and expect to tune it. 300blk is all over the spectrum as far as gas output and recoil goes.

My 300blk wears a pws cqb as I had handguard clearance issues and needed gas going forward only. It reduces recoil only via being a brick (effective on my 8.5" barrel, though!).

Since 300blk is designed to run SBRs, you may not have much gas to play with after 16" of barrel. In fact, I hope your 16" barrel has pistol gas on it...