Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide lock reload - rotating or no rotating grip in strong hand?

zhangla

Just started shooting IDPA SSP division. I watch many Youtube videos of the masters doing slide lock reload without rotating the grip in strong hand.

I tried that with my MP9 Pro, and found that my strong hand thumb cannot reach neither the mag release nor the slide stop without rotating the grip.

I know I have small hands, and that's why I chose MP9 Pro and I put on the smallest backstrap on the grip.

Does anyone know if Glock 34 gen4 or XDM 5.25'' would help my short thumb to reach those buttons without having to rotate my grip?

Thanks!

Have you tried shooting it without a backstrap? I recall a video, might have been Power Factor Show, where one of the guests said that they use M&Ps with no backstrap on it...

This is a great idea! I used to try G34 without backstrap and I loved it! I will try it with my MP9 today. Thanks for the great tip.

One more option is trying to flip the mag release around and activate it with your trigger finger....

Check episode 124 from PowerFactorShow, the guest starts talking about her gear at around the 20 minute mark and 27 minute mark for M&P specific details. Looks like she put grip tape where the backstrap is supposed to go

Edited by crobber

... I watch many Youtube videos of the masters doing slide lock reload without rotating the grip in strong hand.

I think most of them do rotate the grip slightly. Perhaps it is just that they did it so fast you didn't catch the act. Here's one from Doug Koenig, not quite IDPA but you can get the idea:

One more option is trying to flip the mag release around and activate it with your trigger finger....

Check episode 124 from PowerFactorShow, the guest starts talking about her gear at around the 20 minute mark and 27 minute mark for M&P specific details. Looks like she put grip tape where the backstrap is supposed to go

Using trigger finger to release mag will not prevent shifting of grip, because the strong hand eventually has to shift such that my thumb can reach the slide stop after the new mag is inserted.

Glocks will not be any easier to reach mag release, I assure you. The guys I shoot IDPA with with M&Ps all exploit the auto release feature of jammin the mag home and causing the slide to release. I realize it is not a huge time saver, but would be one less thing to think about! Train with dummy rounds on reloads until the slide goes forward upon seating the mag then call it good.

Sent from an iDevice. Please forgive any grammatical or spelling errors. If the post doesn't make sense or is not amusing then it is technology's fault and most certainly not operator error.

I have similar problems with short thumbs.

1. Releasing the magazine. When I start to move my support hand to reach for the new mag, I use that hand to slightly rotate the pistol to the left by the front of the trigger guard. That rotation brings the mag release within reach of my right thumb. The right thumb presses the mag release and the left hand keeps on going to grab a new mag.

2. Releasing the slide. Use the left hand thumb to depress the slide release as you regain your two hand grip on the pistol.

One of the many things I like about the CZ 75 platform is the prominent slide release lever, which is giant compared to the little sheetmetal nubs on the sides of most polymer pistols.

• 4 weeks later...

The SP-01 Shadow with thin grips should allow you reach the extended mag release without shifting your grip. Plus you can slam the mag for it to chamber the round. Make sure to use +10 mag springs with the Factory mags. I used to shot the M&P Pro and found the CZ to be much easier to manipulate the controls.

+1 for elguapo for releasing the slide technique. Very easy to do with a Shadow if you don't want to rely on slamming the mag into the gun for it to chamber.

I have similar problems with short thumbs.

1. Releasing the magazine. When I start to move my support hand to reach for the new mag, I use that hand to slightly rotate the pistol to the left by the front of the trigger guard. That rotation brings the mag release within reach of my right thumb. The right thumb presses the mag release and the left hand keeps on going to grab a new mag.

2. Releasing the slide. Use the left hand thumb to depress the slide release as you regain your two hand grip on the pistol.

One of the many things I like about the CZ 75 platform is the prominent slide release lever, which is giant compared to the little sheetmetal nubs on the sides of most polymer pistols.

This.

Regarding the mag release on the Shadow, I am tantalizing close to consistently releasing the mag without adjusting my grip. Because of slight variations in the grip I get on the draw, sometimes I can push the button without shifting my grip and other times I can't because my thumb is just catching the edge of the button. I may try the thinner grips to see if they make a difference. Alternatively, I was wondering whether anyone has tried to lighten the mag retention spring so that it takes less force to release the mag?

... I was wondering whether anyone has tried to lighten the mag retention spring so that it takes less force to release the mag?

I think a lighter mag release spring is not a good idea. For some there is a problem of the fingers or the palm inadvertently releasing the mag. I've used to do it and continue to see this happen to others at matches. I think it has something to do with the buzzer...

A bigger mag release button might something to look into.

Regardless of the time it takes to shift the grip it takes longer to get the next magazine up to the gun.

Re-establishing full-firing grip with both hands happens during the punch out after the reload for me.

I've found slide release with the thumb of the strong hand or support hand just as fast. Glock's extended slide release I prefer the strong hand thumb. Shadows the support hand thumb.

DNH

slamming the mag to autoforward the slide is like slamming your car door to lock it because it worked a few times before. there is a designed part of the gun made to do this. you should use it, as they say 'hope isn't a plan'.

you can do as mentioned above and blend the grip rotation into the other things you do during a slide lock reload. to put a real number on it, i can do slide lock reloads in idpa gear in 1.70 seconds shot to shot very reliably. and i have to rotate the gun in my hand to activate the slide release. (sp01 shadow with thin vz grips)

thankfully, this is something you can practice at home for free and if diligent be very proficient pretty quickly.

I have both the M&P Pro and the Glock 34 Gen4, and I have small hands. I prefer the trigger finger mag release on both pistols and the M&P is easier to manipulate over the Gen4. They are both about equally the same when using the thumb to manipulate the mag release.