Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Strange Occurrence with my Primary Arms 1-6 scope Gen2

toothandnail

It has always been spot on, however last match (I didn't check zero before hand) It was shooting 12" low

windage was perfect.

The only thing I did different from all other matches, and in between, was - I made a gun rack inside my Ram Box bedside which carries the gun upside down.

jSa0vlvl.jpg

6bbKJFOl.jpg

Could that have caused the elevation to be off?

In the past I've always had my deer rifle in a gun rack upside down, never a problem.

Since the only difference is the home made gun case. It be my first guess, trucks do tend to rear wheel hop because of the lack of weight . I'd treat yourself to a foam padded rifle case. Wally World sells them $80.00 you could probably get 2 of them in that Ram Box

If, in the upside down position the scope touches the bottom of the box, yes it could cause that. Just hanging upside down should not do anything to it.

That was my thought as well, I checked no way it can touch at least 1/2" no matter how I push it down.

If that is the only thing different, I would still bet it has something to do with it. Things can vibrate loose or settle with all the jostling around too.

Well, the ride in the truck is WAY smoother than the everyday use in a 3-gun match.

Guess I'll have to give it a ride for the next few days and see if the zero changes again.

Currently that may be true, but PA is closing the gap quickly.

I've seen this whole Chinese optics development process many times over when it cones to astronomical equipment already.

If there are competent designers behind the product, and competent managers keeping an eye on the factory then all of these problems can be solved without raising the cost too much.

In a telescope, having the focuser shift by microns under a 5# load is a big problem. The Chinese focusers coming out lately are 95% as good for 1/6-1/3 the cost.

From what I can tell, PA is managing the design and quality issues properly, coming out with revisions all the time.

I'm willing to bet the glass for a lot of the other high end scopes is already coming from china.

Curious how many rounds have been through the rifle since the scope has been mounted before you saw a shift in a zero.

I have no real Idea, around 6 - 8, 3-gun matches, Plus practice. Wild guess around 2K.

Never any shift. I had checked zero several times before matches just to be sure, the ONE time I didn't.

It may not be the scope that shifted. The scope mount now has a 2lb scope hanging off from it, rather than sitting on it.

If everything is tight , and it is, I find that hard to believe possible.

Also, never been an problem getting hits out to 370yds

I had a similar problem with a Burris PEPR mount. Mount was torqued to 65 inch lbs and felt solid on a DPMS upper, but the zero would shift occasionally. When I removed the mount I could see the wear marks on the clamp where the mount had been moving. I couldn't feel any movement, but the mount clamp had a very small contact area. Remounted the scope and zero'd, when I gave either the front or rear scope ring a fairly solid tap or tug, the POI shifted vertically several inches. Windage didn't seem to move.

I put a Warne mount on and it's been solid ever since.

Anybody want to buy a PEPR mount cheap?