Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Case Gauging Ammo

aandabooks

I have the 7 round EGW gauges and do every round. Normally I do batches of 500-600 while sitting in front of the TV.

I used to use those. But they were just ridiculously tight compared to every gun I own. Even my CZ-75 can take things that wouldn't pass an EGW gage. One thing I really liked about the Hundo's is that they don't throat for the bullet at all. In fact, a loose bullet will drop straight through, unlike most other case gages. Once I've calculated the max length for a cartridge with my gun, I don't really need to gage for bullet length at that point, so I definitely don't need one throated for something MUCH shorter than my barrel will take.

Another plus to the Hundo is that it's crazy fast to gage your ammo, and ammo that passed case gage is ammo that won't lock your gun up because the gun won't quite go into battery.

I used to use those. But they were just ridiculously tight compared to every gun I own. Even my CZ-75 can take things that wouldn't pass an EGW gage.

I hear you. My 9 and 45 EGW gauges are fine but both .223 gauges I have reject ammo that is fine in my Dillon gauge and my chambers so I've been on the hunt for someone else's .223 gauge. I'll take a look at the Hundos.

Shot the match today. Don't know if it paid off or not. Didn't have any malfunctions but don't know that I would have if I hadn't case gauged everything.

Guess I'll case gauge match ammo and set it aside.

As a side note, I've never had my ammo chrono'd. Same ammo in my gun and my son's went across at 135 and 134. Now I know that my recipe is good.

I bought several hundred factory reloads from a well known manufacturer of which a substantial percentage would not fit in the chamber of my custom STI Limited gun. I trusted this company so I didnt bother trying to get a sample before the match. This bit me at a very big match recently so I learned a hard lesson.

I check 100% of my rounds on a Shockbottle 100 round gauge. I use the non-anodized one because the black one was not available when I purchased it. It is my understanding that the anodized model is slightly tighter than mine.

I have maybe 1 in 500 rounds fail the gauge. I try those in my Dillon single round gauge. If they fail that I discard them. If they pass the Dillon (easily) I inspect them for cracks before accepting. The 100 round gauge has caught a few minor cracks that the Dillon gauge (and barrel test) accept. Both gauges have flagged a few serious cracks that I would not want to fire.

The 100 round gauge is the best $100 I ever spent for both safety and productivity. I would not reload without it after seeing the results.

• 4 weeks later...

I was curious about the black version.. It seems pretty tight.. I try to use as little to no crimp as possible since I use plated bullets.. But the hundo black gauge doesn't fit those rounds but they chamber just fine in my accushadow.. I should actually say they do fit the hundo but the don't drop right in.. I have to gently press them down then they will show flush.. Not sure if I should be concerned or annoyed or maybe I just suck at loading. But I figure they were all possibilities. Especially the suck factor.. I tired to measure the average case rim multiple it by 2 then add the bullet diameter then add together to get exactly no crimp and adjust half turn more for variances between brass.

Long story short is if I do get it to drop in freely then I have a fat crimp ring around the bullet when I pull it

Edited by Jukez

I case gauge all of my ammo for any major matches with a Wilson gauge. Any practices or local matches I don't bother. Grab a boxful and go shoot. If I have a jam there because a round didn't feed or wouldn't have passed the gauge, well I need malfunction practice anyway. I'd prefer not to worry about that at majors so those I spend a few minutes watching tv and gauging them.

I grab a handful from the Dillon bin and gauge them one at a time dropping them into a box on my lap. I can knock out a few hundred in no time. From there I put them into MTM boxes and pack them for the match. All my ammo I load goes into big containers for local use or practice. When I have majors coming up, ill pull them out and the ones that pass the gauge(almost all) go with me. Anything that doesn't goes into a "practice only" box.

Am I the only one who uses the barrel of the gun I plan to use? I just hold the barrel muzzle up stick each round in the chamber and let them drop free into a bucket, those which don't drop free get used up in practice.

Probably not but if you are loading for 4-5 guns, or don't want to disassemble a pistol or rifle every time you load, having a gauge sitting close by is convenient. For some folks a 7, 25, or 100 round gauge is also faster.

Am I the only one who uses the barrel of the gun I plan to use? I just hold the barrel muzzle up stick each round in the chamber and let them drop free into a bucket, those which don't drop free get used up in practice.

I've been too cheap to buy the single case gauge because I want to order the 100 round gauge and keep findng extra things to do with a hundred bucks. In the meantime, when I clean my .45, I sit down with the barrel and go through any rounds I've loaded. I'm actually surprised at how fast you can go through a couple hundred rounds. Maybe I'm getting lucky with a slightly oversized chamber but I haven't had a round not drop right in.

• 2 weeks later...

All I use is my girlfriends barrel as she has a 40-9 conversion barrel which is very tight. If it fits in that barrel it fits in every other 9mm gun barrel in the house. If it doesn't fit in that barrel they still typically fit in every other gun in the house. I found that using the lee factory crimp die does a much better job than that Dillon die could ever do. If you're still using the Dillon die then you're going to have a bad time.

• 2 weeks later...