Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Life...

Chris Leong

In the classic book "Atlas Shrugged" Ayn Rand proposed that achievement was man's highest moral purpose.  Achievement??? Isn't that interesting?  Not charity, not selflessness, not philanthrophy.  I believe her premise was that, when the Atlases of he world achieve great things, all mankind may benefit. I think of Bill Gates.  No, I'm not a big fan of his, just neutral.  But think of all the people who learned about computers because of guys like Gates and others.

When we compete in shooting sports, we advance the cause of all men who would be free.  We all learn from the high achievers (like Brian, our host)  and then we go out and teach others to likewise achieve.  So then, let us all strive to become masters!  Masters of our craft and masters of our selves and our egos.  So when we compete, let us not compete in order to win some prize, but simply to "achieve" on a higher level.  No matter what your current skill level, the achievement IS the PRIZE!

I read Atlas shrugged (a long time ago). I know Ayn Rand's philosophy of business is practiced by two of the best "businessmen" I know - Mike Dillon, and Ronin Coleman (of PACT). The achievement thing is not bad - especially if it's not limited to any particular realm. The essence of achievement is something akin to "growth," "learning," or "evolution." (I'm not exactly sure of what I'm trying to express with those words, that's why I put them in quotes.) So, YeeHaa to achievement - in growth, in business, in selflessness, in charity...!

Like Robert Deniro said in the movie Brazil - "We're all in this together, kid."

be

Hello Brian,  I think I understand what you are trying to say with the words in quotation marks.  Achievement can be a hard thing to express.  If I remember the book correctly, there were poets, musicians, desiginers, as well as business tycoons, all holed up in Galts Gulch by the end of the book.  

One of the reasons I enjoyed your book "Practical Shooing- Beyond Fundamentals" so much, was it's relative success at communicating some very "etherial" or "nebulous" concepts within the constraints of the english language.  I find myself sort of frustrated when trying to express some of these same "mind states" and attitudes.  Sometimes, trying to use words to express the way that some shooting drill feels is like trying to paint a portrait of it with a 4" wide brush.  The meanings just seem too broad at times.  I read a quote once that someone had written about "Beyond Fundamentals".  I believe it said something like "a book about shooting by a Grandmaster, that you have to be a Grandmaster to understand."   That really cracked me up, because then I realized why I didn't understand some of the meanings.  I was a "C" shooter in those days and have since lost the book in a move.  I'll order a new copy soon and try to understand more with the benefit of a few more years of experience.  It's probably a blessing that I lost the book, because it will be so much more fun to go back and read it after six years of learning. (I have frequently wished I could have referred back to it.)

What that book did for me was to validate some of the things I was wondering about.  It gave recognition to levels of awareness and thought processes that were so fleeting, that I wasn't certain that they even exhisted.  So armed with that knowledge, I set out to find them.  Not to conquer them, but to follow along where ever they lead me.

I've heard others say similar things about Brians book, butI don't think you have to be a GM to understand it, you just have to open your mind and accept other ideas. Most of the shooters I know that have dissed the book, from what I know of their personality, read it expecting a 'How To' book. Do this, do that and *poof* you be a GM. It doesn't work like that and when they don't get it, they dismiss it. Funny, I've heard the same guys trying to 'explain' the 'mental' side of the game to new shooters. You know the old story "Its 10% physical/90% mental, subconscious yada-yada, concentrate, muscle memory, etc." I've even heard some of them offer to teach the 'Mental Game'.

When I teach and someone asks about 'Mental' stuff, I just tell them to buy Brian's book. I can't fathom to think that I could lay it out as well as he has.

Read the book again, and check out some of the links Brian has posted, I've been looking up the personality links, real cool reading. But keep an open mind, don't expect to 'get it ' in one pass. Almost everyone in here has said the same thing, it takes a few reads, some practice and experience to see whats happening when you fire a gun, and acceptance that theres a level beyond "Hold the gun like this, and pull the trigger"

Pat

I swear Brians book is some sort of "magical book"

I have read it several times and then there are times I open it up at random and read something I swear was not in there before.

The book is great, I find it is best to read a little, shoot a little and try to digest the wisdom slowly..

Someday I know it will all come together for me, now that I have a proper "roadmap"

Before the first big match of the season (The Florida Open) I bought Brian's book.  I am an "A" class shooter and was usually winning my class at local matches.  Well I went into the Open with a very calm attitutude.  I thought I had figured it out....HA, was I wrong.  This has opened a who new set of doors for me.  I shoot so conservitive at the open.  But what was different was I began to ask "Why"?  Why did I do this this way ect ect.  I am still in "A" class, the classification system just has not caught up with me yet.  The next few local matches I started beating the "M" class shooters and winning HOA.  I shot the Florida State and won my class, although I did not shot very well.  Then came Area 6, which I won and was like 10th overall.  The cool thing was I saw so much more potential.  I even beat most of the Grandmaster on a stage.  I think what Brian's book has done for me than anything else is to open up my mind and look at things from a new perspective.  I have a young man (he is 11) that I am helping.  I don't think he is ready for brians book yet.  I say that because he has not asked the right technical questions yet.  In other word he has not started to think beyond...ok shoot this target fron here and then run over here and shot these targets.  I had bought Matt Burketts manual, which was a good manual, but not for me.  I gave it to this young man and he loved it.  I have started to get into a lull in my shootings as of late.  I have also started to re-read Brians book.  Have to open that mind up again.