Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 minor accuracy

doc88

Currently shooting a Stock 2 9mm that gives me 1.5" groups at 25yds and everything in the A zone at 50yds if I do my part. My question is can one get the same accuracy shooting 40 minor out of a Stock 2 40SW. Would like to stay in the 140, 155, or 165gr bullet size if possible to keep bullet costs down. If so what load recipes are you using to achieve this accuracy?

I don't have any experience with lighter bullets, (since I cast all my practice rounds it is easier to stick with one mold) but I shoot 180TC bullets over 3.5 grains of American Select (about to change to promo and will redo the powder charge to suite). Never did a ton of formal accuracy testing with this load as it was just meant for fun, but it would hit anything I pointed my 2011 at.

Also with my 3.1" barreled M&P Shield I could hit a 20x20 plate at 85 yards all day long,

Edited by nitrohuck

I gave up on the lead 155gr bullets because I could not get good SDs and accuracy in the Minor range. I have had considerably better results with 175 LSWC and 180 LTC bullets.

In my CZ75 TS using those bullets and e3 powder with CCI 500 primers loaded to 1.126", results are terrific. For Minor I have gone as low as 2.8gr and as high as 3.1.

Chrono results for the 3.1 with 175 (10 shot string) load were: average velocity 854fps, PF 149, SD 9.53. Same load with the 180 yielded 844fps, PF 149, SD 8.88.

Results for the 2.8gr load, same components but a 20 shot string were: 175gr- 797fps, PF 139, SD 9.86. 180gr- 773fps, PF139, SD 6.75. Both loads were very accurate, but the 2.8 /180 load is a tack driver.

I get similar results with those two bullets loaded to major. The only difference is I see no difference in accuracy between the two bullets.

I gave up on the lead 155gr bullets because I could not get good SDs and accuracy in the Minor range. I have had considerably better results with 175 LSWC and 180 LTC bullets.

In my CZ75 TS using those bullets and e3 powder with CCI 500 primers loaded to 1.126", results are terrific. For Minor I have gone as low as 2.8gr and as high as 3.1.

Chrono results for the 3.1 with 175 (10 shot string) load were: average velocity 854fps, PF 149, SD 9.53. Same load with the 180 yielded 844fps, PF 149, SD 8.88.

Results for the 2.8gr load, same components but a 20 shot string were: 175gr- 797fps, PF 139, SD 9.86. 180gr- 773fps, PF139, SD 6.75. Both loads were very accurate, but the 2.8 /180 load is a tack driver.

I get similar results with those two bullets loaded to major. The only difference is I see no difference in accuracy between the two bullets.

Thanks. That's the kind of info I've been looking for.

I have tried every combination I could think of with every OAL searching for the most consistency and accuracy for a combination of guns and for me e3 is the winner in every department. No temperature sensitivity, the same lot to lot, clean consistent and the most accurate in every caliber I shoot. Clays, RS competition, N320 and Red Dot closely follow. Some people have a hard time getting it to flow in their powder measures which I don't. e3 is hard to guard in the accuracy department. Now if they would just make enough of it so it would show up on dealer's shelves....

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the load info and recommendations guys. I am going to try some e3, if I ever see any again. Hard to locate these days.

Basketball analogy, Steve. You know...scores every time/hard to beat.