Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9 or 34

HoboBrasser

Lets think about some of the ultimate dynamics of an open gun, as evidenced by that of Mr. Grauffel's:

Extremely light weight slide

Compensation as near to the point of ignition as possible

My order would be:

Glock 19

Glock 17

and lastly, Glock 34

Edited by Whoops!

I am just beginning to head down the track of a 17. Gives you a 5" barrel which should be plenty to make major out of, the shorter slide allows for more lightening without cracking (I have read that 34 slides, since they are internally lightened in addition to the coffin cut from the factory, can crack shooting major if you lighten them further). A 5.3" gun with a comp hangin off the end makes for quite a long piece by the time its all said and done as well...

According to Glocks website, Glock 17 barrel is 4.48 inches long, not 5 inches. That said, I have never had a problem making major with my 17 with a 4 port Jager comp, having chrono'ed at a shade over 171 pf at two Area 1 matches without really pushing it to hard.

I have built both a Glock 17 and a 34 open gun. The 17 functions and handles beautifully. The 34 slide cracked just below the ejection port after a few thousand rds of 9 major ammo. When I finally found another 34 slide, I turned the gun into a 9 minor limited gun where it excels (think 3-gun).

There was a thread written by BE member '3-Gun Sweden' that's titled "Glock 34-Generation 4-Tuned for IPSC Open" that I bookmarked that had a lot of information on it. Please forgive me, but I can't link or copy/paste it. Still learning how to navigate this site. Looks like a very good build and has a lot of parts info on it. It's about 3 years old but I'm sure the parts are still available.