Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Light hits?

G17raider

Ok, so here is my story. Today at the range I was running my G17 with a reduced power striker spring. I noticed I was getting a lot of light hits. So hoping to cure it I put in my stock striker spring. The amount of light hits were reduced but I still got about 3 within 50 rounds. I'm using reloads with small rifle primers. I'm thinking that's the problem. Funny though, at the gun show, I asked for small pistol primers so they gave me small rifle. Can anyone help me here? TIA! lighthit.jpg

You may have done this already, but check to make sure you don't have obstruction in the firing pin channel. Primer flow can cause this, as well as other debris.

Also check the internals to make sure nothing is damaged or dirty that may interfere with the striker/connector/triggerbar.

Also check to make sure your firing pin is not magnetized. There is an urban legend in KY about some cops investigating a break in near an MRI machine, and several days later their Glocks wouldn't fire at the range, turned out their firing pins had stuck to the slide, and would pick up paper clips. I don't know if it is true, but it may be interesting to try it.

Look at your primer seating depth accross a box of ammo to see if they vary.

Try enough factory ammo to make sure that it will function. If it will, chances are stronger that it is the reloads.

The non-factory ammo may have some high primers or just hard primers.

Most people like the reduced power striker spring, but I've had bad luck with them.

I clip off about 1.5 coils off the stock spring and it lightens the trigger and still ignites everything.

When people say high primmers they are talking about primmers that are not fully seated. Make sure to clean primmer pockets if you haven't done so in a number of reloadings. I also run my finger tip over the primmers. You can feel the difference. They should be slightly depressed into the primmer pocket and not sitting flush or high.

Others have mentioned this one too, but to add to it. Disassemble your striker and make sure that there is no oil in the striker channel. Shoot it dry because it will collect junk. Don't oil the breach face of the striker area either; oil will migrate into the channel. If you don't know how to disassemble it go to this link: http://www.topglock.com/info/info.htm It is easy even for a first timer.

You may know all of this already so if I was redundant, I wrote this for a new Glock owner.

dont try to re-seat the high primer.

especially if your using a ball-type powder(win 231)

you could have a KB at the loading bench.

i can see that you have ditched the small rifle primers, good.

I dont see any reason why a shooter shooting minor power 9mm or major power 40 to use small rifle primers..

winchester 180 grain factory loads make way over 165 power factor and use the standard small pistol primer.

i have never had a small pistol primer fail.

Alright everyone, range report in a few sentences. Last night I took out the loader and reseated all my primers. So when I took out the Glock today, I had only 2 light hits as it was my bad quality control. But, out of the other 248 rounds, they were good. Thanks for your help everyone.

dont try to re-seat the high primer.

especially if your using a ball-type powder(win 231)

you could have a KB at the loading bench.

i can see that you have ditched the small rifle primers, good.

I dont see any reason why a shooter shooting minor power 9mm or major power 40 to use small rifle primers..

winchester 180 grain factory loads make way over 165 power factor and use the standard small pistol primer.

i have never had a small pistol primer fail.

come on man, what did i say above??

Hey Flex how come we're not seeing the name "Lucky" under G17 Raiders icon? :D

Sorry to rub it in G17R. But now you are wiser.

I had some light hit problems last fall, it all boiled down to LOM (Lack of Maintenence). My firing pin channel, and everything else, was filthy. After a good detail strip everything was fine. If you don't know how to do this, that Glock armorers video is how I learned, plus some pictures. I was as scared as a rookie on Superbowl Sunday the first time, but after the that it was no big deal.

Moral: Even G's need cleaning, especially when shot alot as IPSC'ers tend to do.

TomB