Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What primers for .223?

bigarm

I'm using CCI 400 primers but recently switched to 8208 xbr due to availability.

As I laddered up my powder charges accuracy improved but I'm seeing flat primers a full grain below IMR recommended max loading for 77gr SMK.

Could you be getting a pressure spike from COL or headspace issues?

COL = 2.256" (2.260" rcmd by manual)

Shot a few of the rounds in my practice rifle with the same flat primers as seen in my match rifle. If its a headspace problem, its a problem with both rifles.

After visiting with another forum member, the mention of temperature sensitivity came up. The temperature was a nice 74 degrees when they were shot. The Texas Gulf Coast temperature will only get hotter from here forward.

I plan on backing off on the powder and see what it does to the accuracy.

COAL will effect pressure quickly. Provided your bullets are jumping, .01 or so either way will not make much a difference. If you usually load your ammo a little long and then load a 77 short, like factory FGM, then you will increase pressure a little bit. You will be hard pressed to get excessive headspace from sizing a case too much. I doubt that you will ever size a case down to factory specs. Remember that temperature and humidity effect pressure. Yes, reading primers is not a good indicator of pressure but its about all we have to go with along with watching for marks from the extractor.

• 2 weeks later...

Lucky to just get TAC at Midsouth. Shipment arrived there yesterday. Good timing I guess. Got 16 lbs and got the CCI 450 primers to go with it. My first attempt at loading 223/5.56. Assuming I am starting out with the right components. Planning on loading target load with Hornady 55gr FMJs.

Edited by JLeeCZ

I sure hope you like TAC. 16lb for your first attempt at .223/5.56 is pretty gutsy . You should be GTG. Good luck.

Yes it is. I backordered yesterday just to get an order in while I researched. It was the only recommended powder I found that allowed a backorder. Did not expect it to be filled next day. If it doesn't work out, sure one of my friends will take it off my hands. I'm optimistic though.

It depends how demanding you are. With me, as long as it cycles my gun and I can shoot it reasonably accurately, I'm happy. I don't own a chronograph so I'm not concerned with hitting a specific velocity.

I will say it one more time, Remington ran Lake City Army Ammunition Plant from 1941 till 1982 and was developmental in the 5.56 ammunition "LONG" before CCI made its military type primers. Meaning Lake City loaded millions of 5.56 rounds using Remington 7 1/2 primers to light off the Winchester ball powders loaded for the M16 rifle. Bottom line the Remington 7 1/2 primer has a cup thickness of .025 and the problem primers are the ones not seated properly or the cups are not .025 in thickness. Both the firing pin on the M14 and M16 rifles were lightened during the testing phase of these two rifle to prevent slam fires, which only happened when feeding a single round into the chamber without the magazine in place to slow down bolt velocity.

And as a side note in the Sierra reloading manual the Remington 7 1/2 is used for both the AR15 loads and Bolt action loads.

Edited by bigedp51

reference primers for .223: use almost anything except Remington 6.5 primers.

Yep, bad idea. I loaded 800 .223 with 6.5s before I knew better. No slam fires, but they flattened and flowed badly at .223 max loads in 5.56 chambers. They make OK pistol primers if you can't find anything else.

I like Tula KVB-556. Cheap, SD is good, and they are tough. I do not get any flattening with them even at ramshot's 5.56 max data with 77gr at 2.245, which is hot, so I would not try to read them. You may get deep ejector stamps before they show anything.

I will say it one more time, Remington ran Lake City Army Ammunition Plant from 1941 till 1982 and was developmental in the 5.56 ammunition "LONG" before CCI made its military type primers. Meaning Lake City loaded millions of 5.56 rounds using Remington 7 1/2 primers to light off the Winchester ball powders loaded for the M16 rifle. Bottom line the Remington 7 1/2 primer has a cup thickness of .025 and the problem primers are the ones not seated properly or the cups are not .025 in thickness. Both the firing pin on the M14 and M16 rifles were lightened during the testing phase of these two rifle to prevent slam fires, which only happened when feeding a single round into the chamber without the magazine in place to slow down bolt velocity.

And as a side note in the Sierra reloading manual the Remington 7 1/2 is used for both the AR15 loads and Bolt action loads.

I think most sources consider the Remington 7 1/2, CCI 450 and CCI 41 primers to be pretty equivalent in slam fire resistance. I've witnessed a slam fire in an AR and it wasn't a single loaded round or a case of a primer not being seated properly. It was commercial .223 that on further inspection appeared to be a spec loading. That's why I use the CCI 41 and CCI 34 primers in my AR and M1 loads.

• 1 month later...

TAC is good powder for the 223 I been using since 2008 in my 223 Wyilde chamberd 24" varmint RR upper with the 68 gr hornady match and the 69 gr SMK and for primer the CCI 400.

Very accurate powder and it meters through the powder dispenser like water.