Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What primers for .223?

bigarm

I was in Cabela's and they had CCI small rifle primers on sale (400) so I bought them in anticipation of loading .223. Now I have read somewhere that you should not use those for AR's. So, is that correct? I just thought small rifle was small rifle. Guess I should have researched this. If these should not be used in an AR, what do you suggest? I guess I could use them in my 40 S & W. Is that okay? I will most likely be loading 55 grain bullets for mainly plinking and 3 gun.

I have not had any issues with CCI 400 out of the AR. That said my preference is the Remington 7 1/2. I find they produce more accurate loads for me.

I load the CCI in my bang bang ammo just because I have them sitting around.

It is recommended for the AR15 that primers with a cup thickness of .025 be used to prevent slamfires. Also note that when Remington had the contract to produce ammunition at Lake City that the 7 1/2 primer were used.(and the CCI # 41 and #34 primers were not invented yet)

calhoonprimers02_zpsb8295b11.png

The Remington 7 1/2 primer are called the baby flame thrower and lit off the harder to ignite Winchester double base ball powders loaded at Lake city.

5Remington75_zps2b532d7c.jpg

3CCIBR4_zpsa43a3c3a.jpg

I have not had any issues with CCI 400 out of the AR. That said my preference is the Remington 7 1/2. I find they produce more accurate loads for me.

I load the CCI in my bang bang ammo just because I have them sitting around.

I agree. This is what I do as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Scott Steele

Every reloading forum has had multiple discussions about which primers to use. Many people do use standard small rifle primers for .223, but most experts and the majority of long time reloaders recommend the use of a thicker cup primer such as CCI450 Small Rifle Magnum Primers, CCI41 5.56 MilSpec Primers or Rem 7-1/2 Primers, when loading for an AR or any semi auto rifle with a floating firing pin in order to reduce the risk of slam fires. They don't occur often, but they definitely do occur. The CCI41 primer was specifically developed in response to the military's request for a primer more resistant to slam fires. This is also the reason that you should never drop the bolt on a round which has been directly loaded into the chamber rather than from a magazine. MilSpec primers are more expensive, but the CCI450 usually sells for the same price or very close to the same price as standard CCI400 primers.

If you're in doubt, don't take my word for it. Do some research on the subject. There's plenty of info out there.

I came across this online sometime back:

Small Rifle Standard

CCI 400 -thin .020" cup, not recommended for AR15 use by CCI/Speer. Good for .22 Hornet, .30 Carbine. See Note 1 at the bottom of the page

CCI BR4 - match primer with a thicker .025" cup.

Federal 205 - Mil-Spec cup thickness according to Federal - okay for 5.56mm. .0225" cup thickness.

Federal 205M - same as the 205 but the match version.

Magtech PR-SR - .025" cup thickness (not much feedback yet on this new primer as to AR15 suitability but with the same cup thickness as the Rem 7 1/2 it looks good so far)

Remington 6 ½ - thin .020" cup, intended for older, lower pressure rounds Remington says do not use for the .223 Rem or other similar pressure rounds. Good for .22 Hornet, .30 Carbine.

Remington 7 ½ BR - A match or "bench rest" primer. Lyman & Nosler classify this primer as a Standard. Remington says the compound is the same as the 6 1/2 but with a thicker .025" cup.

RWS 4033

Winchester WSR - some piercing issues noted when changed from silver to brass cup. Cup thickness is a bit thinner at .021". Most say they are good to go for the AR15 despite that, probably because of the hardness of the cup. Some feel they are less resistant to higher pressures.

Wolf/Tula Small Rifle SR #KVB-223 - soft, sensitive copper cup, not recommended for AR15/military rifle use or high pressure rounds.

Small Rifle Magnum

CCI 450 - same thicker .025" cup as the BR4 and #41.

CCI #41 - commercial version of the fully-qualified DOD primer for use in U.S. military ammo. With this primer there is more 'distance' between the tip of the anvil and the bottom of the cup than with other CCI SR primers. .025" thick cup. Same primer mix as CCI 450.

Remington 7 ½ BR - A match or "bench rest" primer. Hornady, Handloads.com, and Chuck Hawks classify this primer as a Magnum, differing from other sources that classify it as a Standard. .025" cup thickness.

Wolf/Tula Small Rifle Magnum SRM - hard, less sensitive brass cup intended for AR15/military rifle and high pressure rounds - #KVВ-5,56M.

Wolf/Tula Small Rifle 223 SR223 - #KVB-223M "This is the newest primer available in the Wolf line. It is ever so slightly hotter than the small rifle magnum primer and it comes with a brass colored thick cup. This primer can be used in place of the SRM primer or used when a different powder is used that is hard to ignite."

Excellent post Butterpuc. I've never seen a primer comparison chart that gives recommended use along with a description of the cup thickness. I think a lot of reloaders, especially novices, aren't aware that the primer should be matched to the gun and its intended use and that it can have a real effect on accuracy. Thanks.

I've had two slam fires with Winchester SR's. Upon further inspection, I don't believe they were properly seated. I think the harder primers are more likely to seat rather get squished when priming formerly crimped brass. You could also just inspect your rounds after priming to ensure proper seating of the primer before loading.

This is what CCI referred me to:

http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/primers/primer_chart.htm

Small Rifle 400 For most standard loads in cases requiring small rifle primers.
450 Mag† Magnum primer for ball propellants.
No.41/5.56MM Military small rifle primer with NATO sensitivity.
BR4 Benchrest small rifle primer for critical accuracy needs.

As for the No41:

http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/primers/primers.aspx?id=30

• Mil-spec sensitivity
  • Initiator mix optimized for ball/spherical propellants
  • Available in large (No.34) and small (No. 41) rifle
  • Use the same data as CCI Magnum primers

So I just snagged some 450 since I use H335.

Edited by hceuterpe

• 2 weeks later...

Arent the CCI military primers considered MAGNUM primers?

Yes, they are virtually the same primer load as the CCI 450 Small Rifle Magnum Primer, but with a slightly thicker cup to meet NATO sensitivity standards. The 450 primers have a slightly thicker cup than the 400 primers.

I use CCI 41 primers because I load with spherical powders, want the decreased sensitivity to minimize the chance of slam fires AND my LGS sells them for the same price as the CCI 450's.

• 4 months later...

I recently read an article that said that reading primers isn't a good way to evaluate loads because they vary so much in their characteristics. Charge, cup thickness, space between anvil and cup and other factors all come into play and that makes it hard to compare apples to apples.

I'm using CCI 400 primers but recently switched to 8208 xbr due to availability.

As I laddered up my powder charges accuracy improved but I'm seeing flat primers a full grain below IMR recommended max loading for 77gr SMK.

Could you be getting a pressure spike from COL or headspace issues?