Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How do you chrony your hand loads?

DuplexAlpha

What chrony do you use?

Are you happy with it? Why or why not?

How far away do you stand from your chrony?

Can you read your chrony's display from that distance?

If not, do you prefer having a chrony that does the recording for you, one with a remote display or both?

Do you use a tri pod?

Thanks!

What chrony do you use? Pro Chrono Digital

Are you happy with it? Yes Why or why not? For about 100 bucks it is dead on compared to major match chronos that cost over 3 times as much.

How far away do you stand from your chrony? 10 feet

Can you read your chrony's display from that distance? Yes

If not, do you prefer having a chrony that does the recording for you, one with a remote display or both? I have used the higher end chronos with remote display etc. They may be great for a big match but they are a pain in the ass to set up for just chronoing a few different loads.

Do you use a tri pod? Yes.

Thanks!

Does it come in a case of some sort for transport?

It just comes in a box. I bought a cheap plastic tool box that holds the chrono, stapler, staples, tape measure, markers, pens, paper, calculator, batteries, etc. I take stapler because I also check loads for accuracy at the same time as chrono. Kills two birds with one stone. A load that is good to go as far as power factor is useless if it won't group.

Thanks for the input gents!

Hmm, I have a few Flambeau ammo boxes I guess I can throw it in. I keep the majority of those things you mentioned already either in my range bag or my ammo box. I guess I could just setup another one for it, but it is an added cost to consider I guess.

What chrony do you use? ProChrono Digital (w/low light)

Are you happy with it? Yes Why or why not? Accurate, and easy to use.

How far away do you stand from your chrony? 10'-15'

Can you read your chrony's display from that distance? It would be doable at 10', but not much past that in low light. See below.....

If not, do you prefer having a chrony that does the recording for you, one with a remote display or both? It records will store data internally, I also have the USB kit for it.... it includes a 25' cable, software is capable of displaying the fps in a pretty large font for easy viewing.

Do you use a tri pod? Yep!

Thanks!

Hope that helps!

~g

Can you read your chrony's display from that distance? It would be doable at 10', but not much past that in low light. See below.....

If not, do you prefer having a chrony that does the recording for you, one with a remote display or both? It records will store data internally, I also have the USB kit for it.... it includes a 25' cable, software is capable of displaying the fps in a pretty large font for easy viewing.

Thanks!

Hope that helps!

~g

To clarify, you plug in a 25' USB cable to a display?

Is it this?

https://www.competitionelectronics.com/view-shooting-products.html?page=shop.product_details&category_id=7&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=21

Edited by DuplexAlpha

What chrony do you use? I have a PACT Professional and 2 Shooting Chrony's, a Beta Master and an Alpha Master.

Are you happy with it? Why or why not? Happy with all.

How far away do you stand from your chrony? 10 feet. IDPA/IPSC/USPSA uses these distances.

Can you read your chrony's display from that distance? Yes.

If not, do you prefer having a chrony that does the recording for you, one with a remote display or both? Makes no difference to me.

Do you use a tri pod? Yes and no. Doing my own loads - yes. Working a major IDPA match, sometimes and sometimes a chrono coffin, which means I'm using IR sensors.

What chrony do you use? I have a PACT Professional and 2 Shooting Chrony's, a Beta Master and an Alpha Master.

How far away do you stand from your chrony? 10 feet. IDPA/IPSC/USPSA uses these distances.

If not, do you prefer having a chrony that does the recording for you, one with a remote display or both? Makes no difference to me.

Do you use a tri pod? Yes and no. Doing my own loads - yes. Working a major IDPA match, sometimes and sometimes a chrono coffin, which means I'm using IR sensors.

Thanks! Between the various models, which one do you prefer and why?

I use the Prochrono Digital, on the range I record all my shots and import those into excel at home. (It can store 9 strings of 99 shots, usually use a string per load so it is easy to write down)

With the USB cable you can also set up a laptop as a remote display.

Very happy with it, I am using the IR screen indoors.

Thanks! Between the various models, which one do you prefer and why?

The PACT has IR as well as daylight plus I can dump the memory to an Excel spreadsheet and have a printout. The Chronys can be set up in tandem so that I shoot over both. I haven't bothered, as of yet, to use the memory, but I will.

I like them all.

I have used the CED M2 many times, and they have failed miserably and IMO are junk. YMMV.

Thanks!

Hope that helps!

~g

To clarify, you plug in a 25' USB cable to a display?

Is it this?

https://www.competitionelectronics.com/view-shooting-products.html?page=shop.product_details&category_id=7&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=21

Correct, the kit comes with the software, a USB dongle, and a cable that connects from the Chrono to the USB dongle. Included cable is 25' (uses headphone jack type.... not sure what the actual nomenclature is), which allows me to place the laptop in the shooting port next to me while I test ammo. It displays the FPS so large on the laptop that I can easily see it from my shooting position. One item to note with the software, if the chrono does not read a shot, or reads it incorrectly..... you must delete that shot from the string or it will skew your results. Software isn't perfect, but it will export to a CSV file and allow you to add some custom data. I toss it into an excel worksheet and add a couple of fields. The Chrono will also hold 9 strings of 99 shots, this data can be reviewed without the laptop.... and is saved in memory until it is deleted. The entire setup Chrono, Software/Cable, and indoor/low light kit was under $200..... and considering its capabilities..... well worth it!

An example:

Chrono%20Shot.png

~g

Edited by safeactionjackson

I have an old Oehler 35P that works great. Have been very happy with it and when I shot it last year I was able to buy spare parts from Oehler. I have been following the LabRadar pretty closely and will be looking hard at it when it's finally released.

What chrony do you use? CED M2

Are you happy with it? Why or why not? Yes. My first chrono worked just fine, but the digital display on the front could be hard to read in certain types of light. The CED M2 has a ton of features I'll never use, but I love the remote screen that sits next to me on the bench.

How far away do you stand from your chrony? ~15 feet

Can you read your chrony's display from that distance? Yup, it's on the bench beside me :goof:

If not, do you prefer having a chrony that does the recording for you, one with a remote display or both? I've been slow to bother to learn the advanced features of this particular chrono because I simply don't need them. But it's nice that they're there and every time or two I take it out I end up learning a new feature.

Do you use a tri pod? Yup

This is my second chrono, and from the notes above it's clear that the only reason I bought it was for the remote display. I also have the carrying case they make for the M2, and it's well worth the cost.

I should give a shout out for the CE ProChrono I started with. It was a great, basic chrono. Since it had no remote you did have to walk up to the chrono to reset strings, etc. That was a little irritating a couple times I was chrono-ing at a range with others and I had to wait for the line to go safe. But most of my chrono work was done wtih no one else around so it wasn't a big deal. But if you'll only be shooting at busier ranges that may well be a consideration for you.

I should give a shout out for the CE ProChrono I started with. It was a great, basic chrono. Since it had no remote you did have to walk up to the chrono to reset strings, etc. That was a little irritating a couple times I was chrono-ing at a range with others and I had to wait for the line to go safe. But most of my chrono work was done wtih no one else around so it wasn't a big deal. But if you'll only be shooting at busier ranges that may well be a consideration for you.

The USB option addresses these shortcomings, you can now delete shots and strings, as well as switch to a new string from your laptop... without actually touching the chrono.

~g

What chrony do you use? Pro Chrono Digital

Are you happy with it? Yes Why or why not? For about 100 bucks it is dead on compared to major match chronos that cost over 3 times as much.

How far away do you stand from your chrony? 10 feet

Can you read your chrony's display from that distance? Yes

If not, do you prefer having a chrony that does the recording for you, one with a remote display or both? I have used the higher end chronos with remote display etc. They may be great for a big match but they are a pain in the ass to set up for just chronoing a few different loads.

Do you use a tri pod? Yes.

Thanks!

Same here, but the PAL version...but wish I got the one with the remote option (digital). I use a tripod and have had zero issues with it in sunny and overcast weather conditions.

What chrono do you use?

ProChrono or Caldwell Premium Kit

Are you happy with it? Why or why not?

ProChrono - mostly. Good chrono, accurate and consistent, but $$$ to add a cable/remote kit to it. I'd still buy it again, though the cable/remote is convenient when a range is busier...much moreso than trying to stay behind the line and tap the string cycle button with a broomstick.. ;)

Caldwell - mostly. The premium kit tripod is made for dwarves (too short for me to use w/pistol). I've yet to get it to connect successfully with a rooted Touchpad (running Android), and it has occasional connection issues with my Samsung Android phone. The software has been somewhat 'alpha' quality/lacking, but they've made some recent updates, including some like preemptively putting in the loads you'll be testing, that should make it much better.

The power switch is goofy, 'off' in the middle, and 'FPS' to the front, meters/second to the back - seriously waiting to nudge the switch and eat the batteries. I'd really prefer a normal two position on/off and a separate DIP switch or toggle for FPS vs MPS, as I never intend to use MPS.

You can not effectively use the Caldwell w/out the cable, as it won't store or calculate anything, so just single shot measurements w/out cable. Having said that, I do really like the remote (just wish it'd work with my tablet), ability to save/store/email myself results, etc. I haven't had the Caldwell long enough at this point, so while I have run them back to back (ProChrono and Caldwell) enough to trust it's numbers, time will tell if it'll hold up longevity-wise. I hope it does.

How far away do you stand from your chrono?

~10 feet

Can you read your chrony's display from that distance?

Yes to both chronos, but the remote is nice.

Do you prefer having a chrony that does the recording for you, one with a remote display or both?

The remote is nice. The question is - is it needed? If you chrono at a busy range, it's absolutely needed IMO, at least if you chrono more than 1 or 2 loads in a session (I've gone out to chrono 10-20+ different loads sometimes), otherwise you're waiting often for a cold range, just to move to the next string. Besides the Caldwell, most remote kits cost more than the chrono itself, so again, do you need it is an individual question. When I go to shoot on a friend's land, or the range isn't busy, remote or no remote is really no difference at all.

Do you use a tri pod?

Absolutely.

How do you chrony your hand loads?

Captain Obvious: I usually chrony my hand loads with a chronograph.

But seriously, I've been using a Shooting Chrony Beta Master since I started reloading.

I think I put it about 2 yds downrange from the shooting bench. I don't actually measure, and just kind of eyeball a good location for it.

I can read the display from that distance, because the display is a remote wired display which I place on the shooting bench right in front of me. I never "got" those chronographs where the readout and controls were all downrange.

I don't have the ballistic printer option. I hand record the data (min/max/avg/ES/SD) in a loose leaf notebook. After 6 years of reloading, I'm starting to see that this is really not a great way to manage the data. Sure, it's great having a hard copy...but searching for particular load data/results can be a pain. I need to put the data into a spreadsheet or database of some kind.

I use a rather nice tripod I bought for photography. I'd really like to find a cheaper one that's sturdy enough that I wouldn't be as upset about if "something happened" to it.

I've used and been happy with my ProChrono...until I shot it :blush:. Will probably replace it with same model as it does everything I need it to do other than deflect bullets.

I chrono loads from about 10 ft away and use a tripod.