Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Metering Varget

tires2burn

Stick and flake powders are not going to meter as well as ball powders. Some folks polish the inside of the powder measure but that didn't make any difference on mine. Even with a very smooth and consistent stroke I still got the occasional .3-.4 variance when my ball powders were consistently +/- .1.

Edited by Dirty Rod

This helps get it to within one thousands

I think Uniquetek would dispute that endorsement. :)

I'd agree, the micrometer definitely adds precision and repeatability to adjusting the slide bar, but it doesn't help with metering consistency.

I thought that people reported polishing the funnel and drop helps with metering extruded powders? I haven't done it but thought about trying to see if it made a difference.

This helps get it to within one thousands

I think Uniquetek would dispute that endorsement. :)

Do powders like Varget meter better through a standard drum style powder measure or the Dillon slide style?

Well before i started use it i was 2 maybe 3 tenths off and since i have been using it i am about 1 maybe 2 tenths off now so thats what i see.

Now maybe it was something else before i started using it but its alot closer now.

For some bizarre reason, the El Cheapo Lee Perfect Powder Measure can throw big stick powder with a degree of accuracy that other measures many times its price cannot. The only problem is adapting it to your press. Thread adapters do exist that let you physically mount it to a progressive, but there is no actuation so you are pulling the measure's handle manually when your press is paused at the upstroke. It must be something to do with loose tolerances and big powder measuring chambers and drop chutes because the only downside is that it does not work well with fine ball powder--it will leak powder from the gaps in the mechanism.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/540522/lee-perfect-powder-measure

http://www.uniquetek.com/site/696296/product/T1370

The inconsistency in the metering of extruded powders is caused by the random way in which the grains of powder fall into the recepticle area of the powder measure (whether bar or drum). Consistent stroke will help but only so far.

The best solution is to find the right place on your accuracy node so that the effect on your POI from the variance is minimized. Eliminating the variance entirely would involve weighing every charge which is not why you bought a progressive press.

For some bizarre reason, the El Cheapo Lee Perfect Powder Measure can throw big stick powder with a degree of accuracy that other measures many times its price cannot. ...

I've found the same. I'm mostly using the Dillon for pistol loading anyway, and flake or ball powders.

Most of my rifle stuff is loaded on the single-stage and I've had much better results from the Lee Perfect Powder Measure with the extruded powders, anyway.

TODDKS

The other powders I use for pistol work fine but Varget is a PITA.

That is why I run H335 for most of my .223 loads. H335 meters great. I use Varget for one load .223 load in particular but I weigh every charge. Most of my Varget is used in .308 and I weigh every charge and trickle up.

If you think Varget is bad, try IMR 4064. IMR 4064 is the worst I have dealt with in this regard.

From an earlier discussion on the "Metering Varget" topic;

The "Holy Grail" for me has been the addition of the RCBS Uniflow with the case activated linkage kit. It throws very consistent charges and the long drop tube has virtually eliminated the bridging.

post-18319-0-97038400-1411603387_thumb.jpost-18319-0-26338800-1411603415_thumb.j

From an earlier discussion on the "Metering Varget" topic;

The "Holy Grail" for me has been the addition of the RCBS Uniflow with the case activated linkage kit. It throws very consistent charges and the long drop tube has virtually eliminated the bridging.

PM1.jpg PM2 (347x800).jpg

Dale, where you get that crazy idea?

I think I found it a couple years ago,…when the ‘search feature’ worked.

This “chick” named Denise said she thought about it while sitting on a cactus and told her ol’man about it,…or something like that……

:yawn: <(oldfart syndrome)

Btw, I thought you would have jumped in here way earlier! :cheers:

I think I found it a couple years ago,…when the ‘search feature’ worked.

This “chick” named Denise said she thought about it while sitting on a cactus and told her ol’man about it,…or something like that……

:yawn: <(oldfart syndrome)

Btw, I thought you would have jumped in here way earlier! :cheers:

:roflol::roflol: :roflol: :roflol: