Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Safe in garage?

gator11

Going to buy a larger safe tomorrow and wondering if anyone has one in there garage? I live in Florida so there is tons of humidity. My garage is not air conditioned in any way. Will I have any problems or is it good to go in a humid garage with a dehumidifier? If it makes any difference it would be a Liberty safe and dehumidifier.

I'm near Houston (Texas Gulf Coast) where high humidity is the norm. My safe is in the garage. A single Golden Rod humidifier has been all that's needed to keep away the rust.

If you are in and out of the safe several times a day, you might consider a 2nd dehumidifier but since I only access the safe several times a month, one works just fine.

Bill

Had a friend that had his safe in the garage for years with a single golden rod. He never had any problems that I am aware of and he was in and out several times a week. Kansas is not as humid as where you are however.

My safe is roughly 24 cubic feet (48" X 36" X 24") and has a single Golden Rod that's about 16" long.

Its been in service in the Houston humidity for the past 15 years (and the prior 5 years in the not so humid Southern Oklahoma prior to that). Not a spec of rust on anything during that time.

Bill

Thanks flatland, that's exactly what I need. What is your humidity percentage in your safe with the rod?

I've never measured it. As long as I see no rust, I'm happy.

A few years ago when Hurricane Ike hit, the house was without power for over a month. I was more than a little concerned but since the door was sealed shut when the power went out, no moisture was able to get in. Nothing damaged in the safe.

Bill

Golden rods work, but so do the little 4 watt or 7 watt night lights (plus they provide some light). All golden rods are is a low power heater.

I would also recommend using some VCI chips or a vapor corrosion barrier product inside the safe. They work. Amazon sells packs of 500 for about 25 bucks which should last about a lifetime. ( http://www.amazon.com/Daubert-Cromwell-UWMPICHIPS2X2-Corrosion-Inhibitor/dp/B00AYN8JDS )

When hurricanes come as part of the prep I seal all openings and the lock with a plastic waterproof tape (not duct tape). All of the protrusion entrances for floor/wall bolt downs or power cords are sealed with a good bathroom waterproof shower sealant. Also, unplug anything going from the wall socket to the safe for hurricane preps if you plan on evacuating. Don't want to start a fire or energize the safe if water comes in.

If you want some 16 unit bags (mil-spec) of desiccant and shoot at volousia, port malabar, or will be at the florida sectional let me know and I'll bring you some (free). Each is good for about 13 cubic feet so 3-4 bags will usually keep most safes pretty dry, and they can be recharged by tossing them in a low heat oven or crock pot over night.

Good Luck and enjoy your new safe! :cheers:

Golden rods work, but so do the little 4 watt or 7 watt night lights (plus they provide some light). All golden rods are is a low power heater.

I would also recommend using some VCI chips or a vapor corrosion barrier product inside the safe. They work. Amazon sells packs of 500 for about 25 bucks which should last about a lifetime. ( http://www.amazon.com/Daubert-Cromwell-UWMPICHIPS2X2-Corrosion-Inhibitor/dp/B00AYN8JDS )

When hurricanes come as part of the prep I seal all openings and the lock with a plastic waterproof tape (not duct tape). All of the protrusion entrances for floor/wall bolt downs or power cords are sealed with a good bathroom waterproof shower sealant. Also, unplug anything going from the wall socket to the safe for hurricane preps if you plan on evacuating. Don't want to start a fire or energize the safe if water comes in.

If you want some 16 unit bags (mil-spec) of desiccant and shoot at volousia, port malabar, or will be at the florida sectional let me know and I'll bring you some (free). Each is good for about 13 cubic feet so 3-4 bags will usually keep most safes pretty dry, and they can be recharged by tossing them in a low heat oven or crock pot over night.

Good Luck and enjoy your new safe! :cheers:

Thank you for the info and your kind offer. I belong to Volusia County and shoot there several times a month, I'll send you a pm with my contact info.

Thanks again for all the help!

Ron

The biggest problem with safes in garages is security. Passers by at the right moment see it. Many safes have been stolen from garages because it is relatively easy (as far as thefts go) to get in and dump the safe right into a pickup. Some garages even supply tools to do it.

That's not to say don't do it, but be aware of its extra necessary precautions.

Both of mine are in the garage. I do run in safe dehumidifiers and a dehumidifier in the garage. From the security perspective, you cant see them from a window, they are bolted and there is an alarm system in the garage with a motion detector, man and overhead door contacted, shock sensors on the windows and a tilt sensor on the doggie door cover.

Another great way is light bulbs. Run a standard lamp type screw socket into the safe and put in a 25 watt incandescent. The heat it puts off keeps my safes under 60% as long as the door isn't open and closed all the time. Been doing this for nearly 20 years with no problems whatsoever. Use the long life bulbs designed for appliances. Last over a year. The light inside is another bonus too.

Edited by Ed Robinson

The biggest problem with safes in garages is security. Passers by at the right moment see it. Many safes have been stolen from garages because it is relatively easy (as far as thefts go) to get in and dump the safe right into a pickup. Some garages even supply tools to do it.

That's not to say don't do it, but be aware of its extra necessary precautions.

Agreed. It also makes it much easier for the bad guys to back a pick-up up to it and load it. And in the case of one thats bolted down, all they have to do is wrap a chain around it and pull it loose with the truck.

• 2 weeks later...