Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Does this amount of play look normal for a 627?

acpie360

I would chamfer it a little more and shoot it the way it is. Like Toolguy said, get some rounded profile bullets (Bayou bullets RN). Once they drop in it should remove any slight wiggle by supporting each chamber and center the ratchet consistently over each chamber.

Edited by toothguy

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thats for a 6.

I have never been able to find the 8 shot extractor anywhere for sale, and when you call Smith directly they will not sell you one(my experience anyways). They will sell you a cylinder with the extractor, but not the extractor alone...

You might be able to tighten it up some by peening the ends of the star ...

Can you guys tell me what this "peening" process is? Does it require applying some heat on the metal?

no, peening is basically hammer or forming the metal to increase its size. In this case, I guess you would secure the extractor and peen it using a hardened center punch and light hammer taps. That causes a deformation that increases the dimension...

This is essentially a hammer and anvil type process. You rest the part on a hard surface and hit it with a hammer. If you want to use a punch, use a flat ended one, not a center punch. I would just hold the part in one hand and the hammer in the other hand. Don't wail on it, use light taps to begin with, increasing the hits till you get the desired results. You only want to move it a little, so stop and check the fit often.

Question for the OP: Regarindg those "chewed" marks on the extractor lugs--the spots where bountyhunter has added the red arrows in the post directly above--are those spots where metal is actually missing or displaced, or are they actually high spots where there is excess material left behind in the machining process?

(I think it's the latter.)

Since I have a lot of respect for Warren, his workmanship, and opinion, i really hate to disagree with him.

That condition should not be accepted from S&W, it's just not right and I suspect it will get worse if you shoot it in regular competition, nothing good can come from all that slop and beat up ratchets. I would pack it up and return it to Smith for them to repair as necessary and insist on them returning a revolver without flagrant flaws. Maybe I'm living in a dream world or more likely the past. Failing that I would fit a couple of locating studs and repair the rest the best way I could.

If I am ever able to obtain my dream revolver, the 929 , it better not arrive in that condition, it might be more than I can bear I mean bare.

Actually I agree with you Ross. That whole extractor is a mess. It should be a tighter fit in the cylinder with only the tiniest bit of twisting motion (there has to be SOME clearance) and the ratchets are horrible. They should have crisp edges with no burrs and no material missing.

The OP seemed to be trying to avoid sending the gun back and I was trying to help him in that quest. The best solution would be to have S&W make it right if they will.

Edited by Toolguy

In a perfect world, or maybe just the one we had a couple of decades ago, SW would fix it. Based on what I have read and seen in recent times, their standard of repair requires some kind of gross malfunction. If the gun fails carry up, that might qualify. But I have read multiple posts about people returning new guns with barrel cylinder gap out of spec (like .012") only to be returned untouched.

I have mixed feelings about returning guns to the same butchers who originally screwed them up..... especially considering SW has never extended the courtesy of a paid ship passage to me and transport back to them is going to cost me at least $70.

I recommend documenting everything that's wrong and seeing if they will commit to actually fixing it. If not, demand the necessary parts and fix it yourself locally and file the experience in memory for future reference.

In a perfect world, or maybe just the one we had a couple of decades ago, SW would fix it. Based on what I have read and seen in recent times, their standard of repair requires some kind of gross malfunction. If the gun fails carry up, that might qualify. But I have read multiple posts about people returning new guns with barrel cylinder gap out of spec (like .012") only to be returned untouched.

I have mixed feelings about returning guns to the same butchers who originally screwed them up..... especially considering SW has never extended the courtesy of a paid ship passage to me and transport back to them is going to cost me at least $70.

I recommend documenting everything that's wrong and seeing if they will commit to actually fixing it. If not, demand the necessary parts and fix it yourself locally and file the experience in memory for future reference.

Its really this, you have no control over who's bench at PC that thing will land on. There may still be someone there that will indeed make it perfect. But chances are better that someone will maybe drop a new extractor in there, do the same check that let it leave the factory, and send it back.

And no matter, all the parts are getting pulled out of the same bucket, and realistically, the QC test is going to be, pull the trigger and drop the rod down the barrel, if gun in time then all good.

My 929 had zero chamfer and the extractor had enourmous burrs on the ratchet, like unbelievable burrs like the ones you made on parts when you were first played with a mill in machine shop in high school burrs....

Thanks guys. Here is the close shot of the extractor. This is probably the best my camera can do. I think those spots pointed out by bountyhunter are excess metal material.

extractor_font_view.jpg

Those burrs are literally nothing compared to the ones on my 929, i should have taken a pic before sending it off to my smith..

I'm having a really hard time believing that they even have a "Performance Center" after seeing this.

To the O/P, the letter about the tolerancing is correct. But without seeing their blueprints, I'd have a hard time believing that if the "D" in the cylinder measured in tolerance AND the flat on the extractor also measured in tolerance that it would result in that kind of slop. This condition on a $1000+ gun is unacceptable PERIOD! JMO...

Edited by Shadowrider

Do you guys understand that QC on the Performance Center revolvers is actually much worse than the standard production line stuff? They have almost nobody left at the factory that knows how to do any real fitting work. (The regular production guns are now designed to be assembled with virtually no hand-fitting.)

As many have said in the past, you have to look at them as raw material.

Nothing about this particular 627 seems all that unusual to me. I'm sure it will be a perfectly nice gun when the 'smithing work is done.

I am thoroughly disappointed in the Performance Center. They have the resources to be world class. Instead they are less than mediocre. I view a Smith revo as a kit as well, some finishing required. About the only thing you get from them now is a special contour of barrel. There is no Action job on these. They are the same or worse than the regular guns.

Edited by Toolguy

Do you guys understand that QC on the Performance Center revolvers is actually much worse than the standard production line stuff? They have almost nobody left at the factory that knows how to do any real fitting work. (The regular production guns are now designed to be assembled with virtually no hand-fitting.)

As many have said in the past, you have to look at them as raw material.

Nothing about this particular 627 seems all that unusual to me. I'm sure it will be a perfectly nice gun when the 'smithing work is done.

I agree with this sentiment 100%.

Do you guys understand that QC on the Performance Center revolvers is actually much worse than the standard production line stuff? They have almost nobody left at the factory that knows how to do any real fitting work.

Yes, I learned it the hard way which is why I don't by SW revos anymore. Edited by bountyhunter

This problem with PC guns goes back over more than 10 yrs. I bought a 625-7 in 2002 which is a JM designed 45 ACP with a short cylinder and a 5 1/4" bbl. The gun came out of the box with cylinder notches that had factory burrs on them. Fast DA shooting would result in the failure to lock-up. Had it cleaned up locally.

What shocks me about the Performance Center is the lack of any pride those guys demonstrate. The 929s are obviously being slapped together and shipped and good luck to the buyer!

Bob.

They have almost nobody left at the factory that knows how to do any real fitting work. (The regular production guns are now designed to be assembled with virtually no hand-fitting.)

Problem is, all guns do require critical fitting and even the miracle MIM magic can't eliminate it all.

The barrels have to be set on correctly, cylinders and hands have to be fitted and (my pet peeve) side plates have to be fitted.

I can't count how many new SW's I have seen with the barrels "off" so you have to crank the rear sight one way or the other. Barrel cylinder gaps are a crapshoot.... and sideplates are so tight it takes the incredible hulk to get them on and off. And of course, the hammer dragging on the side of the frame syndrome.

I think something snapped when my brand new 627 arrived and the first thing I saw was how the PC monkey had "adjusted" the barrel cylinder gap with a coarse file.... leaving the end of the cone torn up with razor sharp edges. But what killed me was the monkey couldn't take the five seconds it would have taken to put a piece of tape on the top strap to keep from chewing it up with the file. As it turned out, there were a lot worse things wrong with the gun but that was the first one I saw and it really killed me.

post-271-0-40919500-1411780334_thumb.jpg