Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I shoot low when on the clock.

JesseM

I wasn't sure how to phrase this. Basically if I am on a square range with all the time in the world my groups shoot POA no problem. I am not that accurate in general, I can get a decent group at 15 yards and at 25 yards I can get all of them on an A4 sheet of paper so I need to work on that for sure but the gun shoots POA so I know the sights are adjusted correctly.

However in a match when the buzzer goes off I shoot low. I thought "Well hell I'll just aim higher." but that's not fixing anything. I aim for the top part of the A zone and sometimes I will get lucky and get them both in the A zone, sometimes I will get one in the A zone and then one in the C and sometimes I will get two right next to each other in the C zone.

What am I doing and how do I stop it?

My first guess would be during match shooting you are anticipating recoil and are trying to fight or "control" the gun before the shot is actually broken. During "square range"'shooting, I am assuming you are taking each individual shot, allowing the gun to recoil naturally and pausing to allow the sights to be perfect again before taking the next shot.

Another idea would be how your eyes are seeing the sights in relation to targets. During your "square range" shooting you have all the time to posistion your sights perfectly to where you want your shots to go. During match shooting, the urge to go fast maybe the culprit. Maybe during match pressure you are pressing the trigger as soon as your sights are against a "brown" background.

Essentially you stand in front of a white wall, point your gun at the wall, and practice dry firing without disturbing the sights.

Goal is to learn proper trigger control.

pistol-training.com/archives/118 or google "wall drill pistol"

I like the Dot Drill to help with trigger control. From the draw, 6 shots on a 2" circle at 21 feet. Par time of 5 sec. Must do it 6 times in a row to be successful. I've never been completely successful :-) It does make me use a "soft" trigger finger though.

Essentially you stand in front of a white wall, point your gun at the wall, and practice dry firing without disturbing the sights.

Goal is to learn proper trigger control.

pistol-training.com/archives/118 or google "wall drill pistol"

Do you reset the trigger every time? Is the goal just to get proper sight alignment?

I like the Dot Drill to help with trigger control. From the draw, 6 shots on a 2" circle at 21 feet. Par time of 5 sec. Must do it 6 times in a row to be successful. I've never been completely successful :-) It does make me use a "soft" trigger finger though.

I can see this being useful. Adding the time element will help with my problem of doing it at speed.

Soft trigger finger?

The white wall drill requires absolutely zero sight movement to call a rep successful - none. There is no time limit either, just practice a perfect trigger press. His next drill is to do the same thing, only from the draw, with a par time limit.

Also, be careful about using the trigger staging technique. If your technique is to first remove all the pre travel, then stop or hesitate before completing the trigger pull you will most likely continue to jerk the trigger. If you are going to stage it is best to not ever completely stop once your start pulling the trigger. I had a major issue with this before Ben corrected this. I never stage the trigger now. I may speed up or slow down my trigger pull depending on the target but once I start I continually move the trigger until the gun goes 'bang'.

The Dot drill is the best drill around to find out how good (or poor) your trigger mechanics are ....

Edited by Nimitz

• 4 weeks later...

I'm struggling with this problem too! My 1st shots are typically "A's" buy my follow up shots are "C". I have been working the DOT TORTURE DRILL, but need to increase my time working it! I feel that my dry fire drill are solid and I'm putting in the time! I'm constantly looking for drills to improve and work on trigger control!

I'm struggling with this problem too! My 1st shots are typically "A's" but my follow up shots are "C". I have been working the DOT TORTURE DRILL, but need to increase my time working it! I feel that my dry fire drill are solid and I'm putting in the time! I'm constantly looking for drills to improve and work on trigger control!

I'm struggling with this problem too! My 1st shots are typically "A's" but my follow up shots are "C". I have been working the DOT TORTURE DRILL, but need to increase my time working it! I feel that my dry fire drill are solid and I'm putting in the time! I'm constantly looking for drills to improve and work on trigger control!

• 4 weeks later...

you may be looking over the sights rather than through the sights, that would result in consistent low shots.

Instinctively you would try to get a better picture of the target but you need to learn to shoot and move while looking through the sites not over.

View TGO's video on YouTube for Action Targets. It is a par time drill with increasing number of shots per draw.

His view on 'jerking the trigger' is enlightening.

His diagnosis of the shot spread is spot on.

I'd say do Bill Drills both at a target and at the berm. Also put in a dummy round somewhere in the six.

If you can see your gun go up and down and call all six shots your Alpha Charlie pattern should stop.

Worked for me. It's also a lot of fun.

DNH

View TGO's video on YouTube for Action Targets. It is a par time drill with increasing number of shots per draw.

TGO? What channel is this? I seem to have the same problem

You might not be snatching the trigger, you are probably just being a little rough. Just a little too much on the trigger can be detrimental whereas a full snatch can be a disaster. Work on a perfect pull and check things

• 3 weeks later...

TGO? What channel is this? I seem to have the same problem

I just watched it. Really good info. I'm going to try it!

• 3 weeks later...