Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZC 75 Shadow or CZC SP01 Shadow...

2MoreChains

For some reason I've got CZ on the brain. I blame it on a few friends who shoot Prod with CZs or maybe I just want to get a new gun. Its hard to pin down, but usually I just give in to these urges and don't try to resist too much. I made A-class this summer (just barely) in Prod with a G34, and usually shoot Ltd or SS as my main stay divisions (also A-class). I'm thinking that if I want to get serious about Prod I need the placebo of a new gun and I honestly would prefer all steel even if it does mean a DA/SA.

I've shot the SP-01 Shadow-T (91159), with the CZC goodies installed (short reset, comp hammer, polished internals, etc) and like it. I think I prefer the low mount of the bomar-style adjustable rear better than the higher profile of the HAJO or the fixed sights. Accuracy was impressive, and it was very easy to shoot this gun.

That said, I keep looking at the CZ 75 Shadow-T (91716). Not sure if this is because I'm more accustomed to the short dust cover of a 1911 and my 2011's are also SDC. I've shot them, but I never really got into the FLDC of the 2011's like the Edge. When I had my 6" 2011 built I spec'd some slide lightening to keep the nose weight down to help with transitions.

For those of you who have both or shot both, does the extra weight of the FLDC really provide an advantage over the SDC of the non SP-01 all things considered, or is the SP01 really the way to go? Anybody shoot the CZ75 Shadow but wished they got the SP-01? Unfortunately nobody runs a 91716 in my local area to test-drive, though there is this one grumpy dude that has a CZ-75B in .40...

Thoughts? Thanks!

For some reason I've got CZ on the brain. I blame it on a few friends who shoot Prod with CZs or maybe I just want to get a new gun. Its hard to pin down, but usually I just give in to these urges and don't try to resist too much.

You are a bad influence! But you're make a lot of sense....

I too am one that gives in to the urges.. I have a 75 Shadow on order from CZ Custom and "patiently" waiting for it. The wait time is for the mods you said, SRT,trigger job, and hammer. This forum is the cause of the purchase and the fact I shoot to many platforms, Glock 34 and 35 and a STI 9mm. I want to have one platform to climb the class's in and plus bought a new XL 650 last month so I can make lots of practice rounds.

For some reason I've got CZ on the brain. I blame it on a few friends who shoot Prod with CZs or maybe I just want to get a new gun. Its hard to pin down, but usually I just give in to these urges and don't try to resist too much.

You are a bad influence! But you're make a lot of sense....

Its about as futile as trying to resist my wife when she wants something. Much easier to just go along...

I am in the same boat as you guys. I am small time gun collector and just started in USPSA shot many brands of guns the last 30 years but never a CZ. I need to get with someone at gun club and try one out but anyway I have given in to the urges too just like 2more above and already decided to go with a CZ. I first set a $1000 budget but the more I read about CZC and CGW Shadows the more I want one and probably leaning toward 75 Shadow SP 01 Item 91030 for $1300.

I know if I go with a cheaper one I will end up sending it in anyway and end up pretty close to $1300.

Thanks for all the good information guys!

I;ve had both a 75 shadow target and a sp01 shadow. They do different things and feel differently. I have never felt at a loss shooting the short dust cover 75 shadow. For me, it's working out to shoot the 75 shadow t in idpa and the sp01 shadow in uspsa.

The choice for me is one gun for both SSP and Production.. I was trying to get a gun for both limited and ESP. and gave up that road and just decided on a 9mm. I wanted one gun to shoot verses 3. I knew the CZ would give me a trigger like my 1911 over the Glock 34 and 35.. I am 58 years old and the years are going by quick. and I want to move to A class within 5 years. one gun more trigger time on one platform

I am in the same boat as you guys. I am small time gun collector and just started in USPSA shot many brands of guns the last 30 years but never a CZ. I need to get with someone at gun club and try one out but anyway I have given in to the urges too just like 2more above and already decided to go with a CZ. I first set a $1000 budget but the more I read about CZC and CGW Shadows the more I want one and probably leaning toward 75 Shadow SP 01 Item 91030 for $1300.

I know if I go with a cheaper one I will end up sending it in anyway and end up pretty close to $1300.

Thanks for all the good information guys!

The people at CZ Customs are good people to work with. It is where I have ordered my gun. Waiting "patiently" for them to start building mine. SDC 75 with SRT and Trigger job under $1150.. Great people to talk to

Thanks all for the input. Had a chance today to shoot a friend's SP-01 Shadow-T with short reset trigger and compare it alongside with his SP-01 Shadow-T that doesn't have the SRT. I think everything else between the two guns was the same other than front sight width.

I ran a few drills with the two guns and both were pretty awesome to shoot and I was getting good hits at 20-30 yds, even in DA mode on the first shot. I think the springs were 13# mainspring, or at least they were igniting my CCI primers with no issues. The short rest trigger is pretty cool. Just seeing how much the trigger with the SRT doesn't move forward is pretty amazing compared to the SP-01 without it.

So ultimately my original question comes down to the FLDC of the SP-01 or the SDC of the CZ-75 (BTW, do I have the terminology correct? Both are CZ-75's, right? But the FLDC model is the SP-01 and the SDC model is just the CZ-75...?). I don't have access to a 91716 to compare, but based on how I shot some drills today that had pretty big transitions (>90 deg) I didn't feel any downside to the extra nose weight of the SP-01.

Rail no rail is an easy way to look at it. The regular 75B has a short beaver tail and the 75 Shadow (no rail) has the long beaver tail like the SP01.

Most people like the rail because it shoots a hair softer, but the no rail models trade a little more muzzle flip for less weight, but keep in mind these are differences of a tiny degree, it's not like a Stock II vs Glock 17 :)

You will most likely be happy with either, but if you favor the soft push of 147s over the snap of 124s I recommend the rail.

Thanks K-Atlas, that helps.

I like shooting both 147's and 124's in my 9mm pistols (Glock and 2011). I don't have any real allegiance to either, though if knock down steel is heavily represented in the match I'll go with 147's, especially in 3gun when there are MGM spinners... In Steel Challenge I go with the 124 gr load.

Not helpful, I know.

I suppose if I was looking for a CCW gun the non-rail Shadow might be more appealing for IWB carry, but seeing as I'll be running this in a DOH holster in gun games... maybe that extra ounce and a half out front will help tame the mighty recoil of 132 PF 9mm!

I've got both. I preferred the 75 for a while but have since switched to the sp 01. They both have short reset disconnectors. They feel a little different in that the sp 01 is a little more stable with a little less muzzle flip and the 75 moves a little easier but we are talking very minor differences. Whichever you get you will be happy.

For those of you who have both or shot both, does the extra weight of the FLDC really provide an advantage over the SDC of the non SP-01 all things considered, or is the SP01 really the way to go?

Haha, hooked another one!

Zack and I traded guns for a few strings last month. The difference is not huge, but the extra weight out front on his sp01 definitely keeps the muzzle down a bit more and makes the gun push back more instead. It's possible that some of that may be the slow roll of the 40 in my gun, as opposed to the quicker snap of the 9, but I'm pretty sure i get similar muzzle rise in my 9mm 75bd that I allmost never shoot. I think I would prefer the fldc over my 75 but it's not a dramatic difference.

Some folks say they like the lighter weight of the short dustcover models for faster transitions, but you are already used to shooting 1911 and 2011, so I would be surprised if you thought the fldc slowed your transitions at all.