Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Got a new truck -- need a tonneau. Advice?

Now that I've got my first ever pick-up, and as Carol puts it so sweetly "my Americanization is complete, I've been assimilated" :D:D that thing needs some kind of bed cover.

Said bed cover should ideally be:

Black -- to match the truck

As watertight as possible

Secure

Cost ~ $1,000

Easily useable -- tell me what you like about your choice in terms of function. (I probably care more about function than appearance; I'd find it easier to live with something that wasn't perfect in visual appeal but was perfectly functional, rather than the opposite.)

Gary made a fine suggestion:

More security options for you in a pickup:

https://www.diamondbackcovers.com/

Real nice covers. A friend has one. Worth the investment.

With a sliding bed deck, it is perfect as you never have to crawl in for anything. You Must have a locking tailgate though.

and I could swing their LT version in black -- although it's stretching the budget.

Are there other options? I see that Extang makes the Encore folding tonneau, which like the Diamondback could be opened from the cab end of the bed as well as from the tailgate end. Liftover at the cab end on the Tundra is pretty high -- do any of you have experience with something like this, and do you actually find it as useful as it seems on paper?

The Diamondback appears harder to collapse on the fly -- in the sense that the doors would need to come off, and then the center section would need to be unbolted -- but it would also be most secure. The Extang or similar types could be folded back and secured, or removed as a bundle a little easier, it seems? Would also make it easier to get up into the pickup bed, if you needed access to the back window or rear roof.

And finally we've got the angled lid over the bed system as rendered by Undercover and Leer and probably others? Take two people to remove, could not be stored in the bed under any circumstances....

Tell me what you like, and describe what makes it work for you. Thank you!

The one I suggested is the one I wish I had. I use the XTang Solid fold and like it a lot. http://www.extang.com/docs/solidfold.html

Although I rarely use a car wash because I choose to wash by hand, the cover has never leaked. Only drawback is you do not have use of the full truck bed for standing items if you need it. Only 2/3

Mine is three years old and still as good as the day I installed it.

Edit to add: because I use the truck mostly with the cover closed, this is the next addition I will be making http://www.bedslide.com/

I had one in a covered utility body pickup and ot made it so I never had to climb into the bed of the truck

Edited by Round_Gun_Shooter

I have an ARE on my current truck, and had one on my last one as well. Watertight, and color matched from the factory. Downside is, it's all or nothing and it would take 2 people to remove (I've just left them on all the time). http://www.4are.com/mobile/product/covers.xhtml

I've had an ARE fiberglass cover on my Silverado for over 10 years now. I has developed a small leak up near the cab. Replacing some of the weatherseal might fix it.

As for security, it relys mostly on the out of sight, out of mind mentality. If I wanted to get into the bed with the cover locked, I doubt it would take me more than a minute to force the top open.

When purchased, the dealer advised that removing the top was not recommended.

For the most part, it has served me well but when I finally break down and replace this truck, I will go with something more secure.

Bill

Retrax folding bed cover. I have one on each of my last 3 trucks and put another one on my recent truck purchase. It allows full use of bed height without having to remove it from the truck. Watertight, I don't know if any are truly watertight but it does fine for my needs. I pack gear in it for road trips, attending matches, hunting and travel. Give them a look. Remember buy once, cry once when making your final decision

I have/had the "Roll and Lock" on the last 5 trucks I have owned. Overall they are fantastic.

Positives. Your bed is still useful, and to open up for full use of the bed, it takes 2 seconds. The newest versions are the best so far for water tightness, in a automatic car wash you will still get some water in the tailgate area, but it works quite well. The lock actually work. There is 4 positions that it will stop and lock into when being opened. This is very useful when you have something larger and still want some partial protection for what is still in the bed. Or in my case, pulling a 5th wheel toy hauler, it also works in diverting the wind when hauling...

Negatives: The storage "box" it rolls up into will use up about a foot of the front of your bed and the drains go into the front corners of your bed, so anything you put underneath the box you need to be careful not to crimp the little lines. (this is not a big deal, you just need to be aware) Under heavy winter conditions, ice and wet snow, you must be careful there can get some water into the tracks that freeze. Commonsense prevails here, just don't force it. Let it warm up and it is fine, or just drive a couple of miles, it will generally come loose (this can also happen when it is washed during below freezing weather, but again, with proper care, it is not a big deal...

Finally look around when you are purchasing and make sure the installer knows what they are doing. Proper fit is important for the longevity of this type of cover. It slides in a groove made of aluminum. If it is installed correctly and even, it will last for many years, if it is not even, you can get uneven wear and it will only last 2-3 years before you have to replace the tracks. (this was a lesson I learned the hard way) BUT.... It was only a couple of hundred to fix plus the new install time. The manufacturer was good to work with for getting the parts, but they were quick to blame the installer.

But like I stated in the beginning, I am a fan of this type of cover... And for me, it is the best fit for our needs!

Edited by bajaholic

I just went through the same ordeal of deciding on a bed cover and ended up going with a Bakflip G2 for $850 via Amazon and love it.

With a locking tailgate it is secure, very easy to install and pretty water tight with most water caught in the rails and drained via tubes but a tiny bit sometimes gets through at the front corners in a downpour or car wash.

I have/had the "Roll and Lock" on the last 5 trucks I have owned. Overall they are fantastic.

Positives. Your bed is still useful, and to open up for full use of the bed, it takes 2 seconds. The newest versions are the best so far for water tightness, in a automatic car wash you will still get some water in the tailgate area, but it works quite well. The lock actually work. There is 4 positions that it will stop and lock into when being opened. This is very useful when you have something larger and still want some partial protection for what is still in the bed. Or in my case, pulling a 5th wheel toy hauler, it also works in diverting the wind when hauling...

Negatives: The storage "box" it rolls up into will use up about a foot of the front of your bed and the drains go into the front corners of your bed, so anything you put underneath the box you need to be careful not to crimp the little lines. (this is not a big deal, you just need to be aware) Under heavy winter conditions, ice and wet snow, you must be careful there can get some water into the tracks that freeze. Commonsense prevails here, just don't force it. Let it warm up and it is fine, or just drive a couple of miles, it will generally come loose (this can also happen when it is washed during below freezing weather, but again, with proper care, it is not a big deal...

Finally look around when you are purchasing and make sure the installer knows what they are doing. Proper fit is important for the longevity of this type of cover. It slides in a groove made of aluminum. If it is installed correctly and even, it will last for many years, if it is not even, you can get uneven wear and it will only last 2-3 years before you have to replace the tracks. (this was a lesson I learned the hard way) BUT.... It was only a couple of hundred to fix plus the new install time. The manufacturer was good to work with for getting the parts, but they were quick to blame the installer.

But like I stated in the beginning, I am a fan of this type of cover... And for me, it is the best fit for our needs!

Thanks -- that's the kind of well thought out response I was looking for. I'm not sold yet --but I'm capable of appreciating the benefits and drawbacks of a roll top for the first time.

Personally, I'd take a close look at the 270 model. No idea if it fits your budget or if you can get it in a color.

The 270 my friend has was painted to match the truck (He owns a body shop) He said prep and paint is about $500. Were I buying, I would have it coated with bed liner

The 270 looks like the cat's meow -- for 95% of what I do, just like the cargo shade in the Tahoe. The other 5% of the time it had to go though -- and sometimes with little warning. The nice thing was that it was a 30 second removal, and it would fit in the truck with the seats folded and not take up a lot of room.....

If I only didn't have to sweat the 5%......

The tilting over-the entire bed covers are losing ground as a result -- and unfortunately so is the Diamondback. The bed's not huge (5.5 feet) on this thing....

I just went through the same ordeal of deciding on a bed cover and ended up going with a Bakflip G2 for $850 via Amazon and love it. With a locking tailgate it is secure, very easy to install and pretty water tight with most water caught in the rails and drained via tubes but a tiny bit sometimes gets through at the front corners in a downpour or car wash.

When you say front corners you mean by the cab, right? And how is it if you flip it all the way open and up against the cab? Secure? Mar the glass at all?

I just went through the same ordeal of deciding on a bed cover and ended up going with a Bakflip G2 for $850 via Amazon and love it. With a locking tailgate it is secure, very easy to install and pretty water tight with most water caught in the rails and drained via tubes but a tiny bit sometimes gets through at the front corners in a downpour or car wash.

When you say front corners you mean by the cab, right? And how is it if you flip it all the way open and up against the cab? Secure? Mar the glass at all?
Yes sorry, cab side corners. And by tiny bit I mean I can see a silver dollar size moist spot in the spray in liner.

When folded up all the way open it sits against the glass and has lock arms to hold it in place. It hasn't marred the glass from brief testing, but I do think I'll be using a piece of the included weather stripping on the cover where it makes contact just to be safe. Possibly even find replacement lock arms that are sturdier just to be overly cautious, though the included ones will likely have no trouble even at highway speeds.

I've spent a week reading reviews and looking at covers both online and in person. I'm strongly leaning toward following Gary's advice and getting a Diamondback -- either the LT or SE -- in Line-X.

Anyone else have any suggestions or comments?

Any personal experience with Diamondback covers?

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

I have the

http://www.foldacover.com/

Been on my truck for over 5 years now, it’s been great!

I installed it myself, took a couple hours and all I needed to buy was a rivet gun, but who doesn’t need a rivet gun.

The top is made up of 4 sections, and two locks, one at the tail for the cover to fold back towards the cab. The other section closest to the cab also opens and has a lock. The cover works well to secure my stuff and it’s very aerodynamic and sexy too.

It’s somewhat waterproof and as a theft deterrent, Id rather lock my stuff in the bed than inside the cab. Both can be broken into, but it would be much easier to smash a window than pry open the cover, and what’s inside is not visible.

I’ve been very pleased with the cover and would recommend it to anyone, It was less than $1000 at the time.

Time to let us know what you ended up doing and hot it is working out ;)

I can do the first, but not the second......

I ordered a Diamondback SE cover in Black Line-X for the black truck.....

Now I'm waiting on delivery -- which should be tomorrow, according to sales 2.5 weeks ago, but I'm still waiting on a tracking number....

During a callback to sales earlier in the week, they fixed my e-mail and sent me an invoice. That guy mentioned that build time could be 3-4 weeks, so it could take another week or two. Since Diamondback is in PA though, ground UPS should only take overnight....

So how it'll work out remains to be determined.....

The truck is another story -- we're still making friends. On the one hand it is far nicer and more comfortable than any other vehicle I've ever driven, with fabulous seats, a kick-ass sound system, and a very comfortable and safe-feeling ride now that I've had a TRD sway bar installed at the rear (no more body lean when taking turns or curves at more than 15 mph). On the other hand it's not a Tahoe or Sequoia -- and I would have been happier with either one of those, but my wallet wouldn't have been......

I've mostly worked out the driving challenges of going to something 2.5 feet longer, with a 7 foot wider turning circle, but it doesn't yet feel like an extension of me. That will come in time -- and I suspect that I'll find it more practical once I have an enclosed trunk....

• 2 weeks later...