Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recoil Buffers on TS

KOBGT

Here's the problem I see with buffers in the TS: the TS is "small framed", now before anyone pipes up with "the TS is built upon the CZ 97 frame" (that's just not true) or "the TS grip is waaay bigger than my Shadow" I'll say this: the TS mag is wider than the Shadow for higher capacity in .40 so it can compete with 2011s in Limited, but it is no longer from the front to back. This, the ability to accept longer "large frame" calibers such as the .38 super, 10mm and the .45 ACP, is the defining characteristic of a "large frame" pistol.

That being said, the small frame pistols have a shorter stroke, than large frame pistols so you can get away with shortening the stoke with a buffer on a large frame pistol shooting small frame rounds (9mm and .40), but it has a detrimental effect on a small frame gun shooting small frame ammo loaded as long as we all like to.

Think about it: at the rear of the slide stroke, the slide is at rest, then is accelerated by the recoil spring. In a small frame gun it picks the next round out of the mag sooner than in a large frame gun with a spacer at the rear of the mag, so it has less distance in which to pick up momentum before hitting the resistance of the next round. This next part is untested theory (talking out of my ass), but it seems to me, a lightened slide would have less momentum to strip the next round, as well as a lighter sprung slide.

Final recommendations:

1. Give the buffers a try but I suspect they will give you feed issues

2. If you're going to lighten your slide, take weight from the rear of the slide as well as the front, in my two slide lightening experiments I found that the slide with all the weight out of the front magnified the muzzle flip much more than the slide with weight out of the rear as well. I suspect this is because the rear of the slide is what rotates over your wrist as the muzzle rises.

I also heard the tale that buffers were implemented when the old IPSC Standards would not take kindly to the abuse of .40 major. When the TS came out it included improvements which have removed or minimized the need for the buffer. Over on the CZ forums a while ago (and maybe here as well) there were a spat of guys complaining about feeding malfunctions in their .40 TSs, all of which were resolved by tossing the buffer. I've never used one in my TS and I have around 60K rounds through it with no signs of excessive wear. I've also talked to uber big dog CZ shooters and they were not running them either.

edited due to lack of appropriate levels of caffeine.

Edited by Neomet

I ran buffers in my IPSC Standard with no issues. The TS slide is strengthed and has additional changes to the guide rod recess in the frame, the shape of the "kidney" shaped cutout in the barrel, along with the exterior contours of the barrel. A TS barrel will not work without a few mods in an IPSC Std.

I've run about 10 000 rounds through my TS in 40, with buffers. I've not had any trouble with them at all.

The buffers need to be replaced regularly if shooting major power factor rounds (170 pf for ipsc ). They get really hammered and damaged - which is a sign that they are definitely providing some protection to the frame.

Of course, even without them the frame might last forever anyway - but they are definitely absorbing some of the shock