Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Should I Trade the .223 for a .308?

rhino

Okay ...

I have in my possession a very nice Remington 700 .223 varmint rifle. I don't believe it's been fired outside of the factory, but it has had some work done to it by a very skilled smith. It's got a very nice trigger job, hand-lapped action, jeweled bolt, and probably a few other things I can't see or notice. It does has some sentimental value too.

The thing is, it's a .223 with a slow twist, so I'm not sure what use I'd have for it unless I went Prairie Dog hunting or something, which is unlikely in the near future. For other tasks suitable for .223/5.56, I have my ARs.

I would like to have a nice .308 for "emergencies" and for getting my feet wet in MOR and various sniper-type events.

Should I keep the .223 and just wait until I can amass the funds for the .308, or should I used the .223 to trade or raise capital for the .308?

In the past, I've almost always been sorry I sold or traded a gun. Maybe I just answered my own question ...

Other factors to consider ...

I probably won't be able to get a .308 as nice as this .223, especially terms of the tuning work that's been done to it.

Rhino

It is clear to me from your post that you will regret selling this rifle. So, don't.

Why not have it re-barrelled to a twist more suitable to what you want to do with it? Call the 'smith that worked on it and see what he will charge. Or, a guy like George Gardner at GA Precision comes to mind...who just so happens to have a real nice .223 with 1x8 twist barrel on it in his for sale pages...look at it and see if you want your rifle like that, then call and get a price. No matter what barrel you put on it the cost will be far less than buying a new rifle.

I enjoy my .223 and .308 bolt-guns, but shoot the .223s quite a bit more.

With that said, life is too short to own a gun that doesn't fit exactly what you want it to do. IF you really really want a .308, go for it!

Rhino, you rarely get the money out of a custom gun that it is worth much less what you have in it. A rebarrel would make it into something useful, but would suggest going with a 1 in 7 so you could shoot 80gr. bullets. Better than that have it made into an Ackly improved .223. As far as the .308 go for it, the MOR matches are a blast. Choose wisely and your in the game for under $1500 with a very competitive setup. LOL Keith

I never thought about rebarrelling ...

Heck, could it be rebarrelled as a .308? Or is the action not big enough (breechface?).

I'll also need to either change or shorten the stock ... so I guess what I'm left with is the action and the trigger group?

Why not burn out the 223 barrel learning to shoot?

I have a 308. I'm REALLY glad I have a 223 to practice with because I'd go broke shooting the 308. Even shooting Nosler's bargain (but equal to Sierra in all aspects) J4s gets expensive.

1x8 twist is fine for the heavy stuff, mine is great on the 69's to 80's.

.223 can't be rebarreled to a 6.5x284---but what a caliber that is! I would dump the rest of my rifle calibers before getting rid of that one. Amazing to me none of the big factories sell a factory rifle in that caliber.

EricW makes an excellent point about cheap ammo to learn on.

What are MOR matches?

If you already have a couple of ARs, I would sell the bolt .223 and get a .308.

I have a Remington 700 in .223 that I rarely (like not once in the last two years!) use because I always pick my ARs first. On the other hand I do use my .308s for hunting and train up for the ITRC. The question is, what will the 700 do for you in .223 that your ARs won't? If you are like me, the answer is, "Not a whole lot."

Rhino,

First, don't sell what you have. I have a few guns that rarely if ever see the light of day yet their sentimental value makes them worth everything to me.

Second,

If you think you may be serious about the MOR setup, save some cabbage and you can set up a very nice rifle for around $1000. I just got done going through all the research for mine, so here goes.

1) Remington 700 PSS or LTR in .308: very nice used guns can be easily found in the $500-$550 range by watching the for sale forums on most of the sniper/precision rifle sites, most easily shoot sub moa out of the box, there is no shortage of gunsmiths or aftermarket goodies. The 308 works out to 1k and a little farther, has good knockdown on steel, and gives you very long barrel life. There are other rifles that work just as well (savage, cz etc.) however only the remmy will go into the AICS that you will want purchase later on to allow for faster mag changes :D

2) TPS base and rings $100. Great quality and performance for less than half of what badgers et al cost.

3) Super Sniper scope 10x rear focus. $300. You might want to upgrade glass later but for the money it has a ranging reticle and very nice glass.

4) Sling and Bipod $100 bones if you keep a sharp eye on the want ads or can find a gun that comes with them. Until then you can use a ruck for the bipod and a sling you already have for the time being.

Although 308 is more expensive than 223 to shoot, it is fairly reasonable to reload and is fairly easy to make match grade ammo on the dillon you may already have with tons of good recipes available. Also when it comes time to rebarrel, customize, etc you have more choices if you choose to switch to a more racy caliber.

Good luck, Craig

Rhino,

I have sold to date 6 firearms. Mostly due to the fact that they were all compact and they needed a better home. Most went to friends that needed them. I don't regret selling any of those. I am the minority here, but I only want to keep what I shoot. Collecting may be later on for me. But for now it's all about competition pistols. Hope you make up your own mind :) Tastes change over time.

Wow! That's all some excellent information, ideas, and suggestions.

The idea of using the .223 to learn to shoot better had a lot of merit, and was my original intent after I realized I had the thing. I think I could learn a lot shooting at 300 yards and less with 52 or 55gr loads.

Here's another thing in the mix. I have a compact Ruger .308 that fits me perfectly, but the recoil is just brutal. It's the rifle that came with the Bushnell Elite 3200 10X40mm with mil-dots. Maybe I should have the barrel threaded and get a good muzzle brake installed, and shoot the hell out of it (and the .223 too)?

It already has glass that is more than adequate for its potential combined with my current skill level. It would be a lot easier to shoot if it didn't beat the crap out of me (ask BigDave ... the recoil is sharper and harder than an 870 with full power slugs).

Lessee ... I get the brake for that guy, add a bipod and sling, and I'm good to go. Then the .223 needs the stock cut, a bipod, and the scope and mounting hardware.

Hmmm...

That stubby .308 you have is @$#$^'n obnoxious!!! I'd shoot a case of 12 ga slugs out of your 1100 (and you know how much I like gun, yeah right) before I'd shoot 5 rounds out of that cursed thing.

Have I mentioned I don't like that rifle?

Rhino,

I don't think .308 is "short action" so re-barreling into .308 is not a good option. 308 beats the sH*& out of me when shooting all day.

223 is good, especially in a bolt gun,..for punching paper.

Do you know what twist it is? 75's are acceptable out to 600 yrds, 80's are better in wind but only by a few clicks. And 80's will shoot inside a 168, ALL DAY LONG at 600. But you need, at least, an 8 twist to use 80's and 75's are marginal out of anything less at 600. 75 AMax's are awesome too.

PS,

If 308 was the way to go for punching paper (in service rifle), AR's would not be what everyone wins with at Perry. And a bolt gun IS the way to go at a belly match.

So why not just rebarrel your bolt gun and shoot for cheap?

.308s recoil? :o

You guys are trying to get me expelled for calling 2 forum members sissies! :lol: I'm not going to fall for it!

Big Dave and Rhino are NOT sissies, they are just "recoil sensitive"....not that there's anything wrong with that!

My MOR setup weighs in at 13 lbs. Recoil? What Recoil? When it gets a can fitted next year it will be exceptionally sweet.

The reason for 308 in MOR is the steel beyond 600 yds. There are other calibers that will do it but the 308 is like the 9mm of rifles. You can't swing a dead cat without hitting someone who is a worthwhile resource for it. Cheap brass, tons of load info, bullets galore, etc.etc.etc.

John will have to visit.

And we're going to make him shoot it from the bench, not offhand.

And I'm going to sit with my back braced against his so he can't roll with the recoil.

Then he will apologize to us in public and be our servant for a few days to make up for his evil words.

---------

Okay ...

On the .223... should I have the stock cut, or get one that is already short enough for me?