Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Czech Mate question

Iggy42

So I am looking for a new Limited gun and I also want to get into Open which has led me to the CZ line. I admit I am intrigued although I'm a big believer in carrying what you compete with so I am not sure yet as I need to see some of the CZ compacts.

Anyway, I would like to know how robust the Czechmate is. Where I am I have only seen 2 people running CZs (Alma I am looking in your direction) so I have basically no experience with them. Looking at the stock photos I was wondering if the slide racker can be flipped over so I can get to it easier with my left hand, similar to your average Open STI. Are there other options in slide rackers out there should I find that there isn't enough space between the safety and the racker once its flipped over?

Who makes holsters that fit it? I currently use a DAA Race Master and the only CZ option they offer is a SP01, will that work for a TS and Czechmate?

Heck are they even any good? I know STI Limited/Open guns can be aggravating to run (although I think that is more a case for people that are trying to run on the ragged edge), something I really want to avoid. I go to a match to shoot, not work on my gun.

Trying to figure out what platform to run, CZ or 2011

Edited by Iggy42

I've never owned a CM, but I've shot one and built a few custom CZ Open guns.

The factory slide racker should be clear to flip if you're using an upright mount, but it's too short to use on the left with a horizontal mount. The standard cut for 2011 Rackers is too small, but I have an unfit sidewinder which looks like it'll work.

They're tight and well made albeit heavier than most 2011s.

I just bought a CM about a month ago. I have put approximately 600 rounds through it and love it. I had a full custom STI awhile back. The STI's have the edge for available parts and gunsmiths that work on them. As far as performance I do not see the CM holding you back. It is a great shooting gun and shoots very flat. I shoot with 2 others on a monthly basis that shoot them as well. They have had them for a little over a year and have had no issues that I know of. They shoot monthly matches and practices. The only real complaint that people have is that you have to load them short. I have been loading around 1.130 for the CM and was loading out to 1.165 on my STI. I really don't see this as a problem. I make major with Silhouette and Autocomp pretty easily.

The racker can be switched to the other side. The problem I had with it was that it was close to the safety so on my draw I tended to drive my thumb into the back of it as I went to disengage the safety and it messed up my grip. So I bought a Cheely steel racker and heated it and them bent it up at about 40 degrees so that it is out of the way of my thumb. It was a drop in fit other then bending it.

As far as being the same as your carry gun- Unless you are going to carry a Tactical sport the grip on the CM is larger then any other grip CZ makes and they will fit your hand much differently.(for me anyways). Unfortunately if you shoot open you will probably not find a gun that translates to your carry gun. Honestly if you practice with you carry gun as you should it would not matter. You would be able to be proficient with both guns.

On deciding which to run that is going to be a personal choice. The CZ fits my hand better then the STI did and I like the balance and weight better. The STI I had was a full custom build and was awesome as well. It shot better then I do! LOL I would certainly try to get your hands on both to get some rounds through them and decide for yourself. When I wanted to get back into open I did just that with the CZ and really liked it a lot. That and the price were the reasons that I picked the CZ. For about 3K new you get the gun and 4 mags. A stock STI will cost more and only comes with 1 mag. The CZ I got was used and had the extra barrel(not included anymore) and I got it for a decent price.

The only real complaint that people have is that you have to load them short. I have been loading around 1.130 for the CM and was loading out to 1.165 on my STI.

What bullets are you using? With Xtreme RN 115s I have issues with the mags before the chamber and that was at 1.189". My regular loads are 1.170" in my CZs and Tanfoglios.

For race holsters I heard this one can be made to fit the TS so it should work for the CZ.

http://www.mannyusa.com/Firearms_Training/product/Futuristic_Magnetic.html

I would be very interested in trying a Czechmate sight tracker configuration for 3 Gun.

I have been using a CZ 75 Compact L for EDC. Very nice gun but it's much closer to the CZ SP01 than the TS. Those and the Compact Shadows seem to be a bit hard to find (like most other desirable CZs I suppose).

You are welcome to try my TS any time you can find me at a match.

So I am looking for a new Limited gun and I also want to get into Open which has led me to the CZ line. I admit I am intrigued although I'm a big believer in carrying what you compete with so....

I have 3 CZ Tactical Sports, and would never consider carrying them. They are big, heavy, hold 20 rounds, and have an extremely light trigger pull. Great competition gun, but not fit to carry. Or do you mean a CZ brand for carry, and a CZ brand to compete.

So I am looking for a new Limited gun and I also want to get into Open which has led me to the CZ line. I admit I am intrigued although I'm a big believer in carrying what you compete with so....

I have 3 CZ Tactical Sports, and would never consider carrying them. They are big, heavy, hold 20 rounds, and have an extremely light trigger pull. Great competition gun, but not fit to carry. Or do you mean a CZ brand for carry, and a CZ brand to compete.

Compact CZ for carry, seperate CZ to compete with. I like competing with the same basic platform I carry. For instance I currently compete with a tarted up XDm in USPSA Limited, and I carry a XDs.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

For race holsters I heard this one can be made to fit the TS so it should work for the CZ.

http://www.mannyusa.com/Firearms_Training/product/Futuristic_Magnetic.html

I would be very interested in trying a Czechmate sight tracker configuration for 3 Gun.

I have been using a CZ 75 Compact L for EDC. Very nice gun but it's much closer to the CZ SP01 than the TS. Those and the Compact Shadows seem to be a bit hard to find (like most other desirable CZs I suppose).

You are welcome to try my TS any time you can find me at a match.

Well next time I will be at Peacemaker is the Trijicon World MAtch and then the FN match (am-pm-am) so hopefully I run into you at one of them.

I have a DAA at the moment for my XDm, and I have found that a little dremel work will get the SP01 block to work for a TS. What I would love to know though is if the TS and CM have the same frame/trigger guard. I would much rather spend 45 bucks for an insert that will work for both (like I could with my DAA and a 2011) than 225 for a whole new holster plus belt and mag pouches.

Also to CM and TS's need any work out of the box? I was looking at the CZ Custom site and he is out of stock on both (and his CTS, although the full dust cover looks better to me)

How close are the TS/CM to the Tang/EAA versions? I had an EAA Witness Limited (their USPSA Limited) briefly, but I sold it off since I was not in a position to custom load for it (STI rounds basically). I liked the gun, and its in the radar but they seemed to need a bit of love instead of being ready to go out of the box. Granted since I am considering 2011s as well buying off someone that has done all the work already (like CZ Custom) does appeal to me very much.

The TS and the CM have the same trigger guard, so they work in the same holster, I run mine in the standard 2011 CR Speed holster.

The TS and CM come out of the box with a sub 2# trigger and it only gets better with a race hammer and polishing.

The CZs are ready to race right out of the box.

I just bought a CM about a month ago. I have put approximately 600 rounds through it and love it. I had a full custom STI awhile back. The STI's have the edge for available parts and gunsmiths that work on them. As far as performance I do not see the CM holding you back. It is a great shooting gun and shoots very flat. I shoot with 2 others on a monthly basis that shoot them as well. They have had them for a little over a year and have had no issues that I know of. They shoot monthly matches and practices. The only real complaint that people have is that you have to load them short. I have been loading around 1.130 for the CM and was loading out to 1.165 on my STI. I really don't see this as a problem. I make major with Silhouette and Autocomp pretty easily.

The racker can be switched to the other side. The problem I had with it was that it was close to the safety so on my draw I tended to drive my thumb into the back of it as I went to disengage the safety and it messed up my grip. So I bought a Cheely steel racker and heated it and them bent it up at about 40 degrees so that it is out of the way of my thumb. It was a drop in fit other then bending it.

As far as being the same as your carry gun- Unless you are going to carry a Tactical sport the grip on the CM is larger then any other grip CZ makes and they will fit your hand much differently.(for me anyways). Unfortunately if you shoot open you will probably not find a gun that translates to your carry gun. Honestly if you practice with you carry gun as you should it would not matter. You would be able to be proficient with both guns.

On deciding which to run that is going to be a personal choice. The CZ fits my hand better then the STI did and I like the balance and weight better. The STI I had was a full custom build and was awesome as well. It shot better then I do! LOL I would certainly try to get your hands on both to get some rounds through them and decide for yourself. When I wanted to get back into open I did just that with the CZ and really liked it a lot. That and the price were the reasons that I picked the CZ. For about 3K new you get the gun and 4 mags. A stock STI will cost more and only comes with 1 mag. The CZ I got was used and had the extra barrel(not included anymore) and I got it for a decent price.

I recently bought a CM and have yet to develop a major load. Do you mind sharing your load data using silhouette? I have 4lbs of it and will be starting with it. Thanks.

The TS and the CM have the same trigger guard, so they work in the same holster, I run mine in the standard 2011 CR Speed holster.

That isn't 100% true. I have a bladetech holster for my TS and my czechmate will not fit in there in limited configuration because the slide, with sight, is longer than the TS. The front will need filed or reformed.

I run the czechmate in limited trim for 3 gun and It's great. The only thing I don't like is the lack of fiber front sight and holster options.

I am in NJ for work until Wednesday and will verify from my notes when I get home, but from memory I used 8.0-8.1 of silhouette. I can't remember if that was with 124 or 115 though. I do remember the difference between slowest to fastest was only 10 fps.

The CM is a great open gun out of the box and does give you a cool sight tracker type limited gun too.

If you like the CZ grip angle, you like pivoting trigger then I'd say go for it.

They have a fantastic trigger out of the box (which can be improved even further), shoot very nicely with 9mm major loads and give you the limited option. what more can I say? :)

I am in NJ for work until Wednesday and will verify from my notes when I get home, but from memory I used 8.0-8.1 of silhouette. I can't remember if that was with 124 or 115 though. I do remember the difference between slowest to fastest was only 10 fps.

Thank you. I appreciate you looking into it.

Has anybody used the new coated BBI bullets in their CM or any other open gun? Ive seen some vids of guys testing them in open guns but no real long term reports.

plenty of guys here in australia have been using the hi-tek coated bullets for years. that coating (now exported to US casters) has been on commercially cast bullets here for many years.

My feeling is that yes you do get a little bit of lead in the comp holes and/or port holes. barrel leading is not bad as long as you use the correct diameter bullets for your barrel and the right OAL etc (no bullet tumbling).

They do shoot faster. so the same load you used with CMJ or JHP's etc will get more FPS with a coated pill. is that of benefit? for most of us probably not much.

They can and do shoot very accurately in open guns. some think even better than CMJ's do. to me once the load is sorted my CMJ's shoot as good as the hi-tek coated.

So to sum up. yes they can handle open velocities and pressures. yes they can shoot good groups. yes they can leave a little bit more to clean up than JHP or CMJ.

no worries. a mate I shoot with only shoots hi-tek coated bullets in his CM (9mm major). a number of guys I shoot with running tanfoglio gold customs (both V8 and V12 models) also only shoot coated. They have been shooting them for a number of years too so it's long term use. If any gun is a bitch to clean it's the tanfog as it has 12 little barrel holes to clean, plus a cut up slide with lots of hidey holes and a 2 chamber comp that's hard to get into to clean... if they can deal with it a CM should be a snack. :)

personally I run frontier CMJs in my open gun (tanfog eric V12) but I've run probably 1500 hi-tek coated rounds too. no problems, just a little more cleaning. :)